Help! Just arrived Ushuaia to find our cruise cancelled!

QM2 fan

As it says,we arrived in Ushuaia this morning for our planned departure tomorrow to Antarctica. Had a phone call from travel agent to say ship sustained damage yesterday and they have had to cancel cruise. We spent almost 5k on airfares to get here.Ponant say they will refund the cruise cost,but does anyone have experience of getting airfares back? We would never have spent all that money just to spend 1 night in Buenos Aires and 1 in Ushuaia! Help please?

As it says,we arrived in Ushuaia this morning for our planned departure tomorrow to Antarctica. Had a phone call from travel agent to say ship sustained damage yesterday and they have had to cancel cruise. We spent almost 5k on airfares to get here.Ponant say they will refund the cruise cost,but does anyone have experience of getting airfares back? We would never have spent all that money just to spend 1 night in Buenos Aires and 1 in Ushuaia! Help please?

Well, the problem with getting airfare back is, well, you've used the product they sold you. I mean, you flew there, and presumably you'll want to fly home, so they've fulfilled their end of the bargain.

I do really feel for you - it's a pretty awful situation to suddenly be thrust into. If it were me, I'd be looking at how I could make the best of the situation - I wouldn't be just flying home. You have a return ticket for - when? So fill in the time - is there another cruise leaving within the next few days that you could get a last-minute cabin on? Anywhere you can go and stay by land? It's pretty hard to plan on the fly, but it can be done, with a little imagination and a decent internet connection...:D

That's exactly what I figured theirs dance would be Twickers, but would you really spend almost 5k on business class airfares for 1 night each in Buenos and Ushuaia? Plus,we have 3 bags of thermal gear and its 32c back in Buenos....we came to go to Antarctica..not much interested in anywhere else..right now I just want to go home. I really feel Ponant have some liability here.

The travel agents offered us a cabin on another ship. We were booked on a luxury boutique French ship,only 12 months old,with a balcony cabin. We were offered a porthole cabin with shared bathroom on a 1976 vintage ex Dutch navy ship,that has been chartered entirely to a Chinese party,and catered accordingly. Not a comparative trip I think.

Just finding it very hard to see any positives right now.

Edited by QM2 fan

Liability depends on whose fault it was. If it's Ponant's own fault that the ship didn't run, eg. the captain got drunk and ran the ship up a Falkland Beach, then they ought to pay consequential losses. If it was an Act of God, or force majeure, or whatever else they want to call it - ie. not Ponant's fault, nothing they could do about it - then refunding the cruise is all they're likely to do.

What does your insurance say?

When things go badly wrong as they have here, one is usually better off to make the best of the current situation than to pack up and go back home. Proceed as if you will receive no refund for the airfare.

Whether or not the cost (or a portion) of business class airfare will be compensated by the cruiseline is a decision that won't be made until well after you have returned home. It will depend on the contracts you have in place with the cruiseline and your insurance as well as how the trip was purchased (complete package or individual parts).

Contact your insurance company - you should receive your flight money back.

I would telephone or email them from where you are now asap.

Good luck.

Different circumstances (not a cruise) but we had our flight money returned.

Edited by chrispb

All worked in the end,our travel agent confirmed expenses to be covered by Ponant,and they organised for us to join Silver Explorer out of Punta Arenas on a very similar itinerary. Had to fly back to Buenos Aires,then to Santiago and Punta Arenas,but Ponant organised all that. Can only praise Antarctica Bound for their efforts in saving our trip.