Below Decks / Engineering tours while @sea? Do they do this?

SeaDog70s

If a tour is available, it will be on a Vista or Signature Class vessel. It really does depend upon the Master as to whether it is offered or not.

But, my most recent information is that the tour, if it is available, is only offered when the ship is in port. And, often, even then, is divided into two parts for two different port days.

The most comprehensive tour that I have enjoyed was on the Nieuw Amsterdam during her first season in the Caribbean. After visiting the Engine Control Room, the Chief Officer said: "Let us now go down into the Engine Room." I could not believe what I was hearing! But, we did and it was a wonderful experience!

I have never appreciated those on this Message Board who stated that I either did not know where I was or that I was lying about my experience.

Maybe being a former Navy person, if you are able to contact an Officer from the Engineering Department once you are onboard, you may be able to obtain a personal tour. Good luck!

While I don't doubt that you and the others have toured the engine rooms, it does surprise me, knowing what I do about the ISPS Security Code. For the most part, the engine rooms are off limits to even 95% of the crew. Further, most cruise lines would consider possible liability concerns over having guests in areas that require steel toe shoes, safety glasses and ear protection. It just surprises me that a Chief would go around a company policy (and if there wasn't a policy against this, it would be done every tour). So, you may get into the engine spaces, but don't count on it, it appears to depend on the Chief onboard at the time. From the Engine Control Room, the engineer can view most of the spaces via CCTV, and they can scroll through those to show you.

My DW and I just did a "Behind the Scenes" tour on the Eurodam. Sounds similar to what was described above. Everything on the sea day except for the bridge, engine control room, and yes, the deep descent via steep metal stairways down into the engine room. Yes, ear plugs were supplied.

Cost was $150 pp and for our money, it was the best value for any tour that HAL offers. They limited the tour to 14 people so as was said earlier, book when you board!

Presents included an "official" model of the Eurodam (you have to find room in your luggage to carry it home!), flashing drink glass (the ones they had for the dessert extravaganza before they cancelled it), a travel mug, and a copy of Susan Scott's book describing all the things you just saw on the tour.

Don't miss it!

Glad you enjoyed it.

People we have talked to, said the tour was done over 2 days. Sea day for the main areas. Port day for the engine room, bridge, etc.

My DW and I just did a "Behind the Scenes" tour on the Eurodam. Sounds similar to what was described above. Everything on the sea day except for the bridge, engine control room, and yes, the deep descent via steep metal stairways down into the engine room. Yes, ear plugs were supplied.

Cost was $150 pp and for our money, it was the best value for any tour that HAL offers. They limited the tour to 14 people so as was said earlier, book when you board!

Presents included an "official" model of the Eurodam (you have to find room in your luggage to carry it home!), flashing drink glass (the ones they had for the dessert extravaganza before they cancelled it), a travel mug, and a copy of Susan Scott's book describing all the things you just saw on the tour.

Don't miss it!

Congratulations on making it to the Engine Room!

On the Noordam in January, our tour was done in port and we did visit the Bridge, but not the Engine Control Room this time. The reason given by the SEH Officer who was our guide at that time: Inspectors from Lloyd's (the Insurance Company) were at work in the ECR at that time.

At the end of our tour, we enjoyed a nice cocktail party in the Pinnacle Bar with whatever/much one wanted to drink along with delicious canapes and "formal" nuts, and received all 3 of the HAL cookbooks in another HAL blue bag.

Every time I have been able to do one of these Behind the Scenes Tours, whether on HAL, Carnival, or Celebrity, I learn something new and increasingly become more appreciative of the work involved to provide the guests with a safe and enjoyable cruise experience!

Like so many other guys (and gals), I am ex-USNavy, and would like to have an opportunity to see the below-decks engineering spaces and operations. Is this something that is offered, or could be arranged?

Being able to visit this area is something that I will never, ever forget! I am so grateful that the Chief Engineer considered that the questions my group and me were asking were worthy of allowing us to make the trek down to the Engine Room area.

Seadog70s, until I read rkacruiser's replies, I would have told you point-blank that the answer is "NO!!"

I'm a retired engineer (OK, I was aeronautical -- but I still love all engines) and was on the same ship as a friend who is a current Boeing engineer. I think it was Statendam, although can't recall the exact year. Anyway, the two of us decided that we wanted to see the engine spaces. So over the next 2-3 days we "interviewed" fellow pax until we had located about 5-6 other engineers. Then we ALL "cornered" the chief engineer, told him who we were and asked if we could see the engine spaces. He told us that he was sorry but "HAL policy" did not permit.

rkacruiser, you were TRULY lucky to have been allowed to go there. I've given up -- don't want the "big" tour because I have no interest in culinary or theater spaces, just want to see the powerplant(s). Anyway, I'm always on S or R ships anyway and the big tour isn't offered on them. I'm resigned to never seeing the engine spaces <sigh>.

After the ban on bridge and engine room tours after 9/11 for "security" reasons, things have changed a bit in recent years and cruise lines have now ilearned t can be a profit generator - gee, what a surprise! Yet in recent years, I've had free one-on-one tours on Prinsendam, Rotterdam, and Ryndam of both the engine control room and the actual engine room and other related spaces. Yes, I had to write to the CE and beg and grovel, sign waivers, and wear ear protection, hard hat and safety glasses. So at least at that point in time (as recent as 2 years ago) apparently the Master and CE had some discretion in the matter.

On Rotterdam's 2011 transatlantic celebration cruise from Rotterdam/Southampton to NYC, they did the tours (no cost) for several groups of perhaps 10 or 12 people each. Rather regrettably I haven't been able to get a Bridge tour since RotterdamV longer ago than I care to remember but I did have a bridge tour on Discovery (former Island Princess) in 2008 when she was sailing for Discovery World Cruises.

If you're on a ship that doesn't offer it, it doesn't cost anything to ask and I'd suggest doing that as I did, write a letter to the CE and leave it at the front office, asking them to deliver the letter.

Edited by Dave in NJ

Stop by the front office and let them know you are interested and see what they say. My DH does this the 1st day after sailing and on most cruises, they have organized a tour for a few people who expressed an interest. Nothing was published, just a phone call to meet at the front desk at X:XX on such and such a day and wear closed toe shoes. Hope it works for you as he loves these!