Scooter rental question?

jerseyaxn

I have read on here that some people who rent scooters get them the night before at the hotel .If you get it the night before does it make embarkation easier? Also from the hotel to the pier is it easy to get the shooter in the cab or shuttle with the luggage? Also I see there are too main companies that rent scooters .Does any one have a preference of one over the other?

I have read on here that some people who rent scooters get them the night before at the hotel .If you get it the night before does it make embarkation easier? Also from the hotel to the pier is it easy to get the shooter in the cab or shuttle with the luggage? Also I see there are too main companies that rent scooters .Does any one have a preference of one over the other?

Generally it's easier but it all depends on the type of scooter you qualify for as they are rented based on the weight and height of the person . Also depends on whether or not accessible transportation is available in the city of embarkation.

If you qualify for Carevacations Light weight or Midsize Scooter and or SpecialNeedsatSeas Standard scooter these scooters are generally a Pride Go Go that easily break down to fit into the trunk of a taxi.

I have done it both ways.... having it delivered to the hotel and having it delivered directly to the ship. I base my decision what the additional cost of having delivered to the hotel vs. overall budget for that cruise. Personally find it much easier having it delivered to the hotel but than I only travel with an 18" suitcase and do not have a problem fitting everything into a standard taxi.

Regarding what rental company is better, suggested to compare pricing for both because it can and does vary. Overall service is about the same.

This is new to me my knees are shot .I even go to the doctor next week for a mobility exam to get a scooter or a power chair for use at home and outside.I still will rent one when we cruise .I just wanted to see if any one did it before the cruise at the hotel .Some one also told me it is cheaper to get it at the hotel and they wont charge you a extra day because its easier for them.them. Im only 56 so when i first started using one at the stores i was embarrassed but im not any more .My knees are shot any i have A Fib.oh well at least im alive and pretty healthy and im thankful

This is new to me my knees are shot .I even go to the doctor next week for a mobility exam to get a scooter or a power chair for use at home and outside.I still will rent one when we cruise .I just wanted to see if any one did it before the cruise at the hotel .Some one also told me it is cheaper to get it at the hotel and they wont charge you a extra day because its easier for them.them. Im only 56 so when i first started using one at the stores i was embarrassed but im not any more .My knees are shot any i have A Fib.oh well at least im alive and pretty healthy and im thankful

Not certain who told it is cheaper if you have delivered to the hotel. Actually it can be more expensive to do it that way. Both rental companies often charge for the extra rental day. Whether or not the rental company will charge for the extra rental day varies by port city and scooter availability based on the fact that some ports have less scooters available than others. For example cruises out of Fort Lauderdale have much more need for scooter rentals than cruises out of Baltimore so there could be no extra scooters available to deliver early to the ship.

Not trying to discourage you from having it delivered to hotel rather pointing out that you need to carefully plan to make certain you'll be able to get it to the ship.

Though having rented many scooters for cruises it varies when I have it delivered to the hotel. The variable is the cost and I can attest to the fact that the extra day is not always at no charge. Don't make any assumptions cost it out both ways and than decide.

Also you need to access how easier it will be to obtain accessible transportation to get it from the hotel to the port. For example it can be quite difficult to get accessible transportation in New Orleans but is easier in Fort Lauderdale provided you arrange for it ahead of time. Don' count on shuttles from hotels being accessible so you need to check that as well.

Edited by xxoocruiser

• 1 month later...

I use special needs at sea and it can be delivered to your hotel or in your stateroom waiting for you.

Good point about taxis and luggage. Some folks I know request assistance at the airport and cruiseport and have an attendant push them in a wheelchair to/from to taxi while someone else manages the luggage. Save cost of a day of rental of the scooter and with 2 bags each usually hard to fit a scooter in the taxi too.

Sometimes you can't navigate some ports well with scooters depending on stone walkways cobble stones and an old fashion push wheelchair is better and safer. Just think it through, like you do at home. It's definitely a big hit on the ship as they are large and all areas are smooth enough to zip around.

Have a good and safe trip.

If you're going to be purchasing one then why rent? Airports are no trouble at all with a scooter. In fact it makes my life a lot easier.

No reason to ever be embarrassed about needing the scooter. I'm only 44 and have been using one for over a year now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
If you're going to be purchasing one then why rent? Airports are no trouble at all with a scooter. In fact it makes my life a lot easier.

I would appreciate knowing what you purchased and any particular pros and cons about it that you care to mention.

I would appreciate knowing what you purchased and any particular pros and cons about it that you care to mention.

I have a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler. It's very easy to take apart into a few quick pieces and folks up and fits in the trunk of my sonata. It's quick and very maneuverable. I use it everywhere we go now and my husband can pull it out and have it set up in under 30 seconds. The battery holds up well even at conventions where I am constantly on the go all day (both indoors and outside on sidewalks).

I have a Pride GoGo Elite Traveler. It's very easy to take apart into a few quick pieces and folks up and fits in the trunk of my sonata. It's quick and very maneuverable. I use it everywhere we go now and my husband can pull it out and have it set up in under 30 seconds. The battery holds up well even at conventions where I am constantly on the go all day (both indoors and outside on sidewalks).

Thank you for the information.

I have a Pride Go Go Elite Traveler model and it's easy to take apart. Fast forward to the 54 sec. mark of this link to see just how easy it is to load into a trunk.

I purchase mine off of Craig's list and it was never used. Still had original packing material wrapped on it when I went to check it out ! Paid only $450 .

Brick & Mortar Retail prices vary widely - $1,000-$1,600 depending on the model. Internet prices are much better beginning at $899.00 and up depending on which GoGo model it is.

I take my scooter with me when I fly to the cruise. I also have a Pride Go Go and love it. I bought my scooter off of Craig's list and it has a wagon trailer on a hitch. I won't be bringing my wagon on the cruise.

Having a scooter at the airport is wonderful because of the distances and I don't like being pushed in a wheel chair. I will be getting a rack on the back of my scooter for my walker and I will use the walker on the tender ports. I have been told that cruise line transfers have a limited number of spaces available for scooters for the trip from the airport to the pier. Book early and let them know you are bringing your wheels.

I always get an HC room and the larger room makes it much more easy to turn the scooter around and not have to back out. Some scooters will not fit through a standard cabin door so check carefully. I don't know about you but I do not need to dodge my scooter while it is charging.

Good luck and happy travels.

4boysnana

I have a question it might be a stupid question if you bring it to the airport when does it get on the plane do you check it with the bags or do they take it at the gate

They take it at the gate just as you are boarding. They will pre board you to get everything settled before they load everyone else on. Airport security will direct you on how they want you to process through the entry area, but they make it pretty simple. They have handicap lines for you to bypass the long winding lines.

I take my scooter with me when I fly to the cruise.

4boysnana

I was thinking of a cruise between the West Coast to Chile and wondered if you had any experience using the scooter in South America?

I was going to check about possible rentals for use on the cruise as it seems such a hassle taking from here (Honolulu) and back.

Thanks,

Tom

I was thinking of a cruise between the West Coast to Chile and wondered if you had any experience using the scooter in South America?

I was going to check about possible rentals for use on the cruise as it seems such a hassle taking from here (Honolulu) and back.

Thanks,

Tom

Sorry, I haven't been to South America (yet) but I can tell you that many countries do not have the great sidewalks and access that we do here in the USA.

My experience using it on airlines was great and I do use a walker with a seat for some ports. If you can use a walker it does help with tenders and in some shops and on tours.

It sounds like you might not use the scooter on the ship but I can tell you some times it helps conserve your energy.

Have a wonderful time and call several companies to check on prices for rentals. I decided I would bring my own and use it on all my cruises. I was very lucky in finding mine used at an excellent price that was about the cost of one rental.

Please ask any questions you would like.

Happy cruising

4boysnana