Getting from FLL to port everglades question.

junglecat

CAUTION: I have taken about 35 cruises including about 10 from Fort Lauderdale. The taxi drivers in Ft.L are crooks! make sure you ask them how much the ride will be BEFORE you get into the car and make sure they put the meter on when you get into the taxi.

This past Nov. a group of about 8 of us were getting a van-taxi. Before I got into the taxi, I asked how much it would be. HE WOULD NOT ANSWER... so a police person heard my question, and the policeman said "he will be putting the meter on".... he started the van, went for a few seconds and I asked him again if he could put the meter on. He THEN said that it would be a set fee for each person riding the van!!!! It is ALL of them, ALL the time! CROOKS!

CAUTION: I have taken about 35 cruises including about 10 from Fort Lauderdale. The taxi drivers in Ft.L are crooks! make sure you ask them how much the ride will be BEFORE you get into the car and make sure they put the meter on when you get into the taxi.

This past Nov. a group of about 8 of us were getting a van-taxi. Before I got into the taxi, I asked how much it would be. HE WOULD NOT ANSWER... so a police person heard my question, and the policeman said "he will be putting the meter on".... he started the van, went for a few seconds and I asked him again if he could put the meter on. He THEN said that it would be a set fee for each person riding the van!!!! It is ALL of them, ALL the time! CROOKS!

Sorry you had this unfortunate experience...however...to say it's "ALL" of them is a bit uncalled for as this isn't true.

If you've taken 35 cruise's and 10 from Fort Lauderdale then you should have been experienced enough to know the approx cost of a taxi ride to your destination and to know it's never based on a set pp fee...and gotten out of this particular taxi..especially if police personal had to get involved.

• 1 month later...
Sorry you had this unfortunate experience...however...to say it's "ALL" of them is a bit uncalled for as this isn't true.

If you've taken 35 cruise's and 10 from Fort Lauderdale then you should have been experienced enough to know the approx cost of a taxi ride to your destination and to know it's never based on a set pp fee...and gotten out of this particular taxi..especially if police personal had to get involved.[/quote

The policeman had said that he would be putting the meter on.... he did not.... so would you have suggested I got out of the cab while it was running (actually, I tried this one time), and me missed my flight? (the customs experience had been the longest I had ever been through)

BUT... perhaps someone in the system read my entry since I JUST did this cab ride yet again, with 3 other people in the van and I had no problem whatsoever, and that he did put the meter on immediately upon turning the key on! Thanks to whoever has perhaps "straighten" the situation!

If you've taken 35 cruise's and 10 from Fort Lauderdale then you should have been experienced enough to know the approx cost of a taxi ride to your destination and to know it's never based on a set pp fee...and gotten out of this particular taxi..especially if police personal had to get involved.[/quote

The policeman had said that he would be putting the meter on.... he did not.... so would you have suggested I got out of the cab while it was running (actually, I tried this one time), and me missed my flight? (the customs experience had been the longest I had ever been through)

BUT... perhaps someone in the system read my entry since I JUST did this cab ride yet again, with 3 other people in the van and I had no problem whatsoever, and that he did put the meter on immediately upon turning the key on! Thanks to whoever has perhaps "straighten" the situation!

Yes, get out and get in the next one. Did you end up paying the guy the per person fee?

or....

Maybe it is easy for me to say, because I am a big guy, but I might have just waited till we get to the airport, get all my bags, and hand him a twenty dollar bill and walk away saying "that is what the fare would have been if you had the meter on (insert expletive here). If you have a problem I will be at the Southwest airlines counter" What is he going to do? He wont call the cops, he has no leg to stand on.

Yes, get out and get in the next one. Did you end up paying the guy the per person fee?

or....

Maybe it is easy for me to say, because I am a big guy, but I might have just waited till we get to the airport, get all my bags, and hand him a twenty dollar bill and walk away saying "that is what the fare would have been if you had the meter on (insert expletive here). If you have a problem I will be at the Southwest airlines counter" What is he going to do? He wont call the cops, he has no leg to stand on.

I agree...I'm not that big and yet I'm sure I would have been heard and understood :D

Silvia, You are SO CORRECT as MOST of the CABBIES in FLL are CROOKS because what happened to you also happened to me two years ago. I wrote to the Ft. Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, and they told me that if I ever visit their fair city again, and it happens again that to be sure to get the number of the Cab, and report it to them so that they will take action to be sure that the driver will be fined. Also they said if I had the cab number they could help in obtaining a refund.

I take a photo of the cab# before getting in, and another of the driver's credentials - when he asks I explain that it is "in case I forget something in the cab." Knowing that you have his cab/license documented, the drivers are much less likely to try and cheat you.

I have had drivers try to pull the "minimum fare" routine on me at FLL - I pay them the meter charge with zero tip and if they argue I offer to call over a cop.

If you do not behave like a sheep you are less likely to get sheared! ;)

I take a photo of the cab# before getting in, and another of the driver's credentials - when he asks I explain that it is "in case I forget something in the cab." Knowing that you have his cab/license documented, the drivers are much less likely to try and cheat you.

I have had drivers try to pull the "minimum fare" routine on me at FLL - I pay them the meter charge with zero tip and if they argue I offer to call over a cop.

If you do not behave like a sheep you are less likely to get sheared! ;)

Agreed, from what I have read the cops have little if any patience for the crook cab drivers. The cab driver will just cuss you out and drive off, which I do not give a crap about.

The funny thing is if you are friendly with my family, I often over tip. I would gladly had you a twenty for a 12 dollar fare and tell you to have a nice day.

You try to scam me you will get the fare on the meter, or what I estimate it should have been, and nothing.

Edited by twindaddy