Ripcord by iFly pricing, etc...

corpkid

I am a skilled indoor skydiver (having the Orlando iFly about 10 minutes from my house and have logged around 20 hours) and was wondering how the pricing for this works? I believe you get 1 minute for free, but if I wanted to go in for a total of say 15 or even 5 minutes here and there, how is that priced out (if even allowed)? I think it would be a dream come true (and would even pack my own gear as bulky as it is) if I could spend the off hours on a cruise flying around and practicing my back flips (at sea - pinch me!), but I don't want to break the bank doing so. Did I mention I love indoor skydiving? :D

Also, how busy is it? Can you just walk up and get in on a session or do you need to make reservations in advance (and how far in advance)? Thank you!

I am a skilled indoor skydiver (having the Orlando iFly about 10 minutes from my house and have logged around 20 hours) and was wondering how the pricing for this works? I believe you get 1 minute for free, but if I wanted to go in for a total of say 15 or even 5 minutes here and there, how is that priced out (if even allowed)? I think it would be a dream come true (and would even pack my own gear as bulky as it is) if I could spend the off hours on a cruise flying around and practicing my back flips (at sea - pinch me!), but I don't want to break the bank doing so. Did I mention I love indoor skydiving? :D

Also, how busy is it? Can you just walk up and get in on a session or do you need to make reservations in advance (and how far in advance)? Thank you!

I don't know the answer to your questions, sorry.

But I LOVE the excitement that came over in your post - ha ha ha !!

Enjoy those backflips :)

I had not even heard of this so I googled it and according to the article in USA today, November 3 2014, this is going to be free to passengers. If this is true it sounds awesome BUT for you, not so good. I will take a wild guess there will be long lines so there will be some sort of time limit, probably 3-5 minutes max. They MAY offer a set time for a price much like I think Carnival does with the flowrider for body boarding (or whatever it is called).

On the Quantum inaugural I overheard an experienced indoor skydiver asking the staff if he could do flips and he was told no. Only the instructors do any flips or tricks, though they did poll for any experienced flyers. Everyone was limited to the minute. It may change in time, for example, the flowrider had slots for expert surfers...

I doubt they'll allow anything but the standard 60 sec rides, but I'm sure they'll gladly take your money for as many times as you want to go after the first free ride. Also, the wind speed used during regular session is likely to be too slow (~120mph) for tricks; when the instructors show off, they crank up the speed (~160mph) to allow for that. Sorry, if you want to get your kicks, you'll likely have to do it in a land based Ripcord.:(

It does get busy and the session takes almost an hour from start to finish; about 12 people at a time. You can make reservations at any time for anytime in the future. You can sign the waiver electronically on the in cabin TV.

I suggest you do this as the first thing after boarding. On turn around day the electronic system for signups may not be working in which case they do stuff on paper. When that happens they don't have records of who went and you can go again later, free.

Edited by Biker19

I was on the inaugural Quantum and tried Ripcord - loved it! You do have to make a reservation, there was no availability for walk-up (I witnessed someone walk up to try and sign herself and her very young son for a try but was told that they were completely booked; this was on the last day at sea).

You get the first time for free and I also overheard one of the instructors tell another passenger that you're only supposed to go one time. So I'm not sure about the 2nd time for 2 minutes at $50 is true - I read that, too, prior to going on the cruise.

When we missed the port of Cococay due to high winds on Friday, I took that day to set up my reservations for Ripcord. I made a reservation for 2 for 2.5 hrs later, which ended up conflicting with something else we wanted to do so I went back to see if I can make it for later that afternoon. By the time I made it to the front of the reservations line, they were completely filled until Sunday, our last day. So my advice is to make your reservation early on during your cruise. :)

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Sounds like this will just be a few minutes of playing around on my belly... Luckily I have 30 minutes scheduled for Friday night at our local wind tunnel (and yes, 120mph would be pretty difficult to get into a proper sit to start a back flip). Also, just so everyone knows you'd have to be superman to fly more than 15 minutes straight! Usually I do 2.5 mins x 6 = 15 minutes (split over 30 minutes with another 2 - 3 people) so I get at least 2.5 minutes breather between rotations.

And so every knows what it costs on the ground at our Orlando wind tunnel... the 2 minutes starter package is $60 w/ a DVD. Then it gets cheaper the more you buy. For example, 15 minutes is about $200 and 30 minutes is about $325 (or just over $10 per minute, which in the world of wind tunnels is extraordinarily cheap!). Considering a jump ticket from a plane, going to 13.5k feet offers about 80 seconds of freefall, and costs about $30, the wind tunnel is downright CHEAP (in my mind at least). :p

Thanks again!

Edited by corpkid

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Sounds like this will just be a few minutes of playing around on my belly... Luckily I have 30 minutes scheduled for Friday night at our local wind tunnel (and yes, 120mph would be pretty difficult to get into a proper sit to start a back flip). Also, just so everyone knows you'd have to be superman to fly more than 15 minutes straight! Usually I do 2.5 mins x 6 = 15 minutes (split over 30 minutes with another 2 - 3 people) so I get at least 2.5 minutes breather between rotations.

And so every knows what it costs on the ground at our Orlando wind tunnel... the 2 minutes starter package is $60 w/ a DVD. Then it gets cheaper the more you buy. For example, 15 minutes is about $200 and 30 minutes is about $325 (or just over $10 per minute, which in the world of wind tunnels is extraordinarily cheap!). Considering a jump ticket from a plane, going to 13.5k feet offers about 80 seconds of freefall, and costs about $30, the wind tunnel is downright CHEAP (in my mind at least). :p

Thanks again!

We are stopping in Orlando for a couple of days after our Christmas cruise this year and plan on doing the Ifly. Are reservations needed and hw far in advance?

We are stopping in Orlando for a couple of days after our Christmas cruise this year and plan on doing the Ifly. Are reservations needed and hw far in advance?

I'd make reservations, especially if you have a specific time you want to fly. Christmas is pretty busy here in Orlando! You should be OK with getting within an hour of your time if you book 2-3 days out, but earlier might be better if you have a tight schedule. Keep in mind, the whole experience will take over 2 hours (so say you fly at 6, you show up at 5 for training and gearing up). Then your 30 minute "block" (of which you and yours will rotate in and out with others - usually a total 8-10 people). Then 30 minutes to take gear up, TIP THE INSTRUCTOR (about $5-10 pp), and wait for your video to be created.

I'm sure you are going to love it! Just be sure to wear non-collared shirts (they flap) and sneakers. They have lockers for your valuables, and all jewelry must be removed as well. Ladies with long hair should put it in a tight pony tail as well (helmet and 120mph winds).

Let me know how many people will be in your group and I can tell you how to best book this for the $$. I think everyone on their first try should have AT LEAST 4-5 minutes each. The first 2x 1 min sessions are to calm down and get used to how windy it is... the last 3-5 are the instructors letting you go and you actually DO fly and it really is something you'll never forget!

I have read this thread with interest. I'm going on Anthem next year and a big part of the decision was the chance to try Ripcord. I must say I'm really looking forward to it and shall take your advice and book my slot as soon as I'm onboard.

< Back to Ships

Ships

Print This Page

Q: Are there weight/height/age restrictions? Is RipCord by iFLY complimentary?

A: RipCord by iFLY will be complimentary for guests and likely mirror land-based guidelines: Flyers may be as young as three years of age. There is no upper age limit. All flyers must be in good health and physical condition. Those less than 6 feet tall must weigh less than 230 lbs, and those over 6 feet must weigh less than 250 lbs. Children under 18 years of age need to have a parent or guardian to sign their waiver. If you have a prior shoulder dislocation or back or neck problems you should not fly.

My understanding from previous reviews- only ONE reservation per cruise to give a chance everyone on board to do. We booked on the first day( on our 2 nighter) inside Seapleax. There is the reservation desk right when you walk in. Also if you walk-in to check in for your ride with drink in hand , they will not take you. I witness long discussion between the lady , staff and supervisor.

I'd make reservations, especially if you have a specific time you want to fly. Christmas is pretty busy here in Orlando! You should be OK with getting within an hour of your time if you book 2-3 days out, but earlier might be better if you have a tight schedule. Keep in mind, the whole experience will take over 2 hours (so say you fly at 6, you show up at 5 for training and gearing up). Then your 30 minute "block" (of which you and yours will rotate in and out with others - usually a total 8-10 people). Then 30 minutes to take gear up, TIP THE INSTRUCTOR (about $5-10 pp), and wait for your video to be created.

I'm sure you are going to love it! Just be sure to wear non-collared shirts (they flap) and sneakers. They have lockers for your valuables, and all jewelry must be removed as well. Ladies with long hair should put it in a tight pony tail as well (helmet and 120mph winds).

Let me know how many people will be in your group and I can tell you how to best book this for the $$. I think everyone on their first try should have AT LEAST 4-5 minutes each. The first 2x 1 min sessions are to calm down and get used to how windy it is... the last 3-5 are the instructors letting you go and you actually DO fly and it really is something you'll never forget!

Thanks

2 adults (so they tell us) and 2 kids (11 and 13). We were looking at the family package which I think was 10 x 1 minute rides to be split among group and the DVD for about $260. Looking at anytime on Dec 29'th

Thanks

2 adults (so they tell us) and 2 kids (11 and 13). We were looking at the family package which I think was 10 x 1 minute rides to be split among group and the DVD for about $260. Looking at anytime on Dec 29'th

OK, so the family package is $269 (before 7.5% tax which makes it REALLY $289) and includes first time training + 10 minutes + DVD. For just a little more, you can get the 15 min "block" and split it up into everyone getting the same training and about 4x 1 minute go'rounds for $292.82 (w/ tax). The DVD is $25 extra, and I assume 1 will be enough (you can copy them or put them on your computer - it's not a protected DVD). Total is $315. So about $26 more.

"here's how to order": LOL Call them up (407) 903-1150 (option 3). You can't do this package online and trust me it's a great deal for first timers and isn't advertised anywhere. Tell them "I want to do a 15 minute block for my family of four, first time flyers, on XX day at XX time" And I want to add a DVD. The total should come out to about $315 AFTER tax. (PS - it's about $320 for your first solo skydive with instructors).

I am always so excited to show newcomers to the awesome fun that is the wind tunnel - it hooked me way back in 2012 and now I'm flipping and flopping my way around at least once a month!! (and yes, I've jumped out of planes solo 28 times and decided I liked the wind tunnel MORE!). :)

Edited by corpkid

OK, so the family package is $269 (before 7.5% tax which makes it REALLY $289) and includes first time training + 10 minutes + DVD. For just a little more, you can get the 15 min "block" and split it up into everyone getting the same training and about 4x 1 minute go'rounds for $292.82 (w/ tax). The DVD is $25 extra, and I assume 1 will be enough (you can copy them or put them on your computer - it's not a protected DVD). Total is $315. So about $26 more.

"here's how to order": LOL Call them up (407) 903-1150 (option 3). You can't do this package online and trust me it's a great deal for first timers and isn't advertised anywhere. Tell them "I want to do a 15 minute block for my family of four, first time flyers, on XX day at XX time" And I want to add a DVD. The total should come out to about $315 AFTER tax. (PS - it's about $320 for your first solo skydive with instructors).

I am always so excited to show newcomers to the awesome fun that is the wind tunnel - it hooked me way back in 2012 and now I'm flipping and flopping my way around at least once a month!! (and yes, I've jumped out of planes solo 28 times and decided I liked the wind tunnel MORE!). :)

That's awesome! Thanks.

I wondered if they had pricing that wasn't shown on the website.

That's awesome! Thanks.

I wondered if they had pricing that wasn't shown on the website.

Keep in mind booking more time means you should reserve that time earlier - it's a "slot by slot" game and your 15 min block is "harder to fit in"... I'd book a 15 min block about 7 days out or now if you are certain of a time. You can cancel or reschedule up to (I think) 24 hours ahead, but then it's space available and trust me I flew the tunnel last year on Dec 30 at 5:30pm and it was PACKED.

Keep in mind booking more time means you should reserve that time earlier - it's a "slot by slot" game and your 15 min block is "harder to fit in"... I'd book a 15 min block about 7 days out or now if you are certain of a time. You can cancel or reschedule up to (I think) 24 hours ahead, but then it's space available and trust me I flew the tunnel last year on Dec 30 at 5:30pm and it was PACKED.

Good to know. I will end up booking it soon.

This all started because we are booked on Anthem next year and figured we old get some fly time in so we were a bit ahead of the game for our cruise.

Thanks again.:)

I was on the inaugural of quantum and was able to fly four times, one minute each, no charge. There was an option of $50 for two minutes. You could not book multiple slots at a time, only one. I was actually in the very first group EVER on Quantum and was the first person that actually flew independently without being assisted. I cannot tell you how much fun it is. It has created a flying monster of me. I am very fortunate to have an IFly fairly close to me.

The IFly instructors are amazing on Quantum and really made a cruise that was full of lost promises fabulous. There were flyers were 3 up to 80 years old. My advice is to LISTEN to their instructions beforehand and watch their hand signals during the flight. The wind tunnel is very loud and speaking is impossible and therefore hand signals are the only way of communicating.

It has to be the funnest thing I have ever done. Don't be shy, just do it!

• 10 months later...
Guess I have 5 months to lose 45lbs or I will only be a spectator!

Incentive enough I guess!

Cheers

I don't know if they will weigh you, but those weight guidelines are the same for our land based wind tunnel here in Orlando and one of my buddies who is 6 feet tall and weighs about 310 pounds flies all the time without issue. I've seen heavier people go in all the time without issue, and I've NEVER seen anyone get weighed in or anything. Of course, they're just sort of "floating" and turning - certainly not zooming up to the top and diving down or anything like that. Point being you might be able to get in even if over the weight limit, but it will limit what you are able to do but zooming up and down probably isn't something a first time flyer would do (at least not on purpose!)...

FYI - this sport is blowing up in popularity. iFly can't build tunnels fast enough and they are popping up everywhere. I thought I'd share some videos... The first is a link to the first World Cup Competition (looks fun, right!?)

These should be required watching before anyone enters a wind tunnel for the first time:

http://youtu.be/cFQ7XZ6LWKU

http://youtube/wLJ7etV9nyE

Remember to relax and have fun!

Edited by corpkid

I had not even heard of this so I googled it and according to the article in USA today, November 3 2014, this is going to be free to passengers. If this is true it sounds awesome BUT for you, not so good. I will take a wild guess there will be long lines so there will be some sort of time limit, probably 3-5 minutes max. They MAY offer a set time for a price much like I think Carnival does with the flowrider for body boarding (or whatever it is called).

I thought Royal was the only line that had flow riders