Carnival shifts Jamaica stops for Breeze to Falmouth

jimbo5544

But Carnival really likes the enclosed, fenced in shopping areas of many of their ports of call. Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, and Roatan come quickly to mind. They hype the idea that any passengers going outside the fence are inviting trouble and can get victimized. This model gets pax to stay in the Carnival area and spend their money there where it benefits Carnival and really doesn't help the local economy. When the ships leave, these areas shut down immediately. I'm surprised that Carnival doesn't have a McD's in their corrals yet.

Yes, I think Belize is the absolute worst as there is no beach access or pool. At least the others you listed have very close or even walkable beaches and pool complexes. Belize is a waste of time unless you buy a tour, at least IMHO. The area is not nearly large enough to support the ship's passengers and the shopping is pathetic. The few restaurants there are way overpacked with not enough wait staff. I had the worst drink ever at this port, incredibly watered down and poor quality. The armed guards at all the entrances make you think twice before buying a local trolley tour of the city.

We have been to Ocho Rios twice on a cruise ship and once while staying at Sandals. I really enjoy hiking up DRF. We hired a driver when we were there for our honeymoon at Sandals and saw much of the country with a great guide. Since we travel with children now, we chose not to explore this last July and went straight to the falls, a very quick ride from Ocho Rios. I don't know if I would take them through some of the areas we travelled many years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Falmouth is a built for cruising port (although it IS attached to an historical village) by Royal Caribbean. They continue to be a player in this port I believe. So the fact Carnival is moving in is an interesting development.

The made up port is pretty standard port shopping that you find throughout the Caribbean. Tours that leave out of Falmouth are numerous. You are not that far from Ocho Rios, so anything you did in Ocho Rios, you can do in Falmouth. During our recent stop (in November) we were told that a large historical museum is under construction in Falmouth, although it is progressing under island time and may be a while before it's an option.

As others have indicated, once you get outside the gates, buyer and walker beware. It looks nothing like the neighborhoods most cruisers come from. It is poor and the residents are looking for anyway to make money off the rich cruisers. Does it make it dangerous? Not necessarily, but it's real Jamaica, not port sanitized Jamaica!

Just to clarify one statement above, Disney owns no sanitized ports like this - although they are the only cruise line to actually own an entire island for which cruisers get to enjoy. Carnival Corp and Royal Caribbean are the two corporations that are building the port shopping areas.

Falmouth was a great day for us. We took a tour to Mystic Mountain and Dunn's River Falls - it was a highlight of our off ship activities.

Falmouth is a built for cruising port (although it IS attached to an historical village) by Royal Caribbean. They continue to be a player in this port I believe. So the fact Carnival is moving in is an interesting development.

The made up port is pretty standard port shopping that you find throughout the Caribbean. Tours that leave out of Falmouth are numerous. You are not that far from Ocho Rios, so anything you did in Ocho Rios, you can do in Falmouth. During our recent stop (in November) we were told that a large historical museum is under construction in Falmouth, although it is progressing under island time and may be a while before it's an option.

As others have indicated, once you get outside the gates, buyer and walker beware. It looks nothing like the neighborhoods most cruisers come from. It is poor and the residents are looking for anyway to make money off the rich cruisers. Does it make it dangerous? Not necessarily, but it's real Jamaica, not port sanitized Jamaica!

Just to clarify one statement above, Disney owns no sanitized ports like this - although they are the only cruise line to actually own an entire island for which cruisers get to enjoy. Carnival Corp and Royal Caribbean are the two corporations that are building the port shopping areas.

Falmouth was a great day for us. We took a tour to Mystic Mountain and Dunn's River Falls - it was a highlight of our off ship activities.

It was me who said that (about Disney). You are correct, they don't have a sanitized (your words not mine) port. They do as you say have an entire island, equivocates to the same thing to me. I also think you will find that NCL is beginning to do just the same thing. There is nothing keeping anybody from doing excursions (either on their own or through the cruise line) beyond this or any other port. It just gives cruisers options. We love Jamaica, Nd have stayed there on many land vacations. For the most part (as you say), you can be fine. Would I venture out at night to local bars, no way. Would I do things in places like Montego Bay, Negril and Ocho Rios during the day....yes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What is there to do IN Falmouth?

We really enjoyed Chukka's resort in the Jungle:

http://chukka.com/location/jamaica/falmouth/

Zip Lines were really good and the river tubing relaxing. Nice, uncrowded pool.

About a 20 minute ride from the port.

Also Sandals and Couples are both close enough and offer nice all inclusive day passes for about $70/pp.

Edited by nealstuber

What day? Two possibilities

1. Falmouth was also affected by the weather.

2. Falmouth was already fully booked with other ships.

This week we were on the Victory and they skipped ocho rios due to weather I wonder why they didn't go to Falmouth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk