Wonderful Copenhagen 2015 edition

Yes I have done it several times but the latest bulletins says that the service will by end the end of 2016, after that time the train will take the route over Funen and Jutland crossing the Great Belt by tunnel and bridge and Little Belt by bridge.

The reasons are several but the 2 biggest are that Deutche Bahn is terminating the lease of the 13 ICE TD trains because of rising maintenance cost.

Another reason is that the railway will be heavily upgrade until 2024 when kilometer Fehmarn Belt tunnels opens for both road and rail traffic.

This upgrades includes speed upgrades to 200 km/h from 120 and 160 km/h, double tracking south of Vordingborg and electrification so alot of track closures are in store the next years to come.

Danish Viking - I've been lurking and reading all your wonderful responses and the help that you provide to everyone. Thank you so much for all the help. I'm sure that the majority of us would be clueless without you! :)

I've got a question about the train from Copenhagen to Berlin. I'm getting off the Star on September 15th. My train leaves from the main station at 11:43. I believe I can just take the bus to Osterport from Oceankaj and then take a train from there to the main train station. Is this correct? And what kind of ticket would I need?

Also, I've read that when the train is on the ferry, you are expected to get off the train. Do you just leave your luggage behind or how is that handled? I've seen there are luggage lockers on the train. Are they on all trains? What is cost and approximately what is the size or how much might fit in there? Much appreciated and looking forward to visiting Copenhagen in September.

Carrie

Thanks Danish Viking; just booked this trip to Copenhagen for cruise and have started to read your tips; Fabulous.

Can you suggest a shuttle company that could pick up 16 of us at central station and take us to cruise port? Are there any shared transfers from central station to Oceankaj. Thanks

Hope you had a great holiday Danish Viking...at least a respite from our never ending questions. LOL!

Wanted run our trip plan past you for critical comment/suggestions please.

We arrive at 10am 3/8 on Celebrity Eclipse. We will be ready to disembark asap and make our way to Bus #26 (directions you have previously explained) and head to Radhuspladsen for the 11 am walking tour. That takes aprox 3 hrs and finishes near Amalienborg Palace. We will probably take a tour of the museum after that. We will then walk to Nyhaven for a break/drink/food. Then take Netto Badene canal cruise for aprox 1hr. We will then walk back to the ship via Little Mermaid (may be less visitors then?) We will spend some time onboard, and then we would like to return to visit the Tivoli Gardens.

My question is: Do the buses run late from the Tivoli back to stop 26? As our ship leaves at midnight, we would have to be back onboard by 11pm (preferably earlier)

Thanks for all your time helping us tourists make wonderful memories of your city.:)

I've got a question about the train from Copenhagen to Berlin.

Also, I've read that when the train is on the ferry, you are expected to get off the train. Do you just leave your luggage behind or how is that handled?

Carrie

Not DV, but I can answer the train question since I've done it. When the train rolls on to the ferry and stops, you get out and the train is locked, so your luggage should be secure on the train. You go upstairs to a lounge/cafeteria on the ferry. If you want to purchase a snack do it first to beat the crowds. As the ferry nears the shore everyone goes back down to the train which is then unlocked. Just remember which stairwell you used going up, makes it easier to find your train car again. Else you just get on the train and go through the cars to find yours.

Danish Viking - I've been lurking and reading all your wonderful responses and the help that you provide to everyone. Thank you so much for all the help. I'm sure that the majority of us would be clueless without you! :)

I've got a question about the train from Copenhagen to Berlin. I'm getting off the Star on September 15th. My train leaves from the main station at 11:43. I believe I can just take the bus to Osterport from Oceankaj and then take a train from there to the main train station. Is this correct? And what kind of ticket would I need?

Also, I've read that when the train is on the ferry, you are expected to get off the train. Do you just leave your luggage behind or how is that handled? I've seen there are luggage lockers on the train. Are they on all trains? What is cost and approximately what is the size or how much might fit in there? Much appreciated and looking forward to visiting Copenhagen in September.

Carrie

Yes this is correct.

Take bus 27 to Østerport or 25 to Østerport or Nørreport.

From here you can take any southbound S-train or Regionaltog, Øresundstog or Intercity train to København H.

There are no lockers on the train but access to the car/train decks are not allowed during the crossing so you should not be worried about your luggage.

But if you want to feel safe then have a small bag with passports, money, tickets etc you can carry with you on the ferry.

Thanks Danish Viking; just booked this trip to Copenhagen for cruise and have started to read your tips; Fabulous.

Can you suggest a shuttle company that could pick up 16 of us at central station and take us to cruise port? Are there any shared transfers from central station to Oceankaj. Thanks

I have the web adress of a few tourist bus companies.

http://www.stroebyturist.dk/

http://www.incoming-denmark.dk/

http://www.lyngbyturistfart.dk/contact-us.html

http://www.vikingbus.com/

http://www.albaturist.dk/uk/

http://www.anchersen.com/

http://valby-busser.dk/

Hope you had a great holiday Danish Viking...at least a respite from our never ending questions. LOL!

Wanted run our trip plan past you for critical comment/suggestions please.

We arrive at 10am 3/8 on Celebrity Eclipse. We will be ready to disembark asap and make our way to Bus #26 (directions you have previously explained) and head to Radhuspladsen for the 11 am walking tour. That takes aprox 3 hrs and finishes near Amalienborg Palace. We will probably take a tour of the museum after that. We will then walk to Nyhaven for a break/drink/food. Then take Netto Badene canal cruise for aprox 1hr. We will then walk back to the ship via Little Mermaid (may be less visitors then?) We will spend some time onboard, and then we would like to return to visit the Tivoli Gardens.

My question is: Do the buses run late from the Tivoli back to stop 26? As our ship leaves at midnight, we would have to be back onboard by 11pm (preferably earlier)

Thanks for all your time helping us tourists make wonderful memories of your city.:)

One important note :-)

Your ship will be in Copenhagen on the 5th of August, not the 3rd. :eek:

http://www.cmport.com/ships-in-port/cruise-ships

If you take the bus from the Town Hall Square at 22:17 you will be back at Indiakaj at 22:34.

Or 21:57 will be at Indiakaj at 22:14.

The direction of the bus is "Færgeterminal Søndre Frihavn" and your bus stop at the Langelinie cruise pier is Indiakaj.

THe Rådhuspladsen bus stop.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Vesterbrogade+3,+1630+K%C3%B8benhavn/R%C3%A5dhuspladsen+(K%C3%B8benhavn)/@55.674704,12.5669116,18z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652530daaf532e1:0x4d6b400cc0d68478!2m2!1d12.5655486!2d55.6747334!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525312723ed25d:0x643d56fdc2033ec6!2m2!1d12.5695072!2d55.6748419!3e2

Indiakaj bus stop

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Indiakaj/Langeliniekaj+(Midt),+Copenhagen/@55.6968006,12.596735,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252de6ee8856f:0xeb0e221fb2acd1be!2m2!1d12.5978873!2d55.6951972!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252dda8e3b789:0x177c1078db48f2c3!2m2!1d12.6001973!2d55.6985014

Not DV, but I can answer the train question since I've done it. When the train rolls on to the ferry and stops, you get out and the train is locked, so your luggage should be secure on the train. You go upstairs to a lounge/cafeteria on the ferry. If you want to purchase a snack do it first to beat the crowds. As the ferry nears the shore everyone goes back down to the train which is then unlocked. Just remember which stairwell you used going up, makes it easier to find your train car again. Else you just get on the train and go through the cars to find yours.

Thanks for the information and I'll remember which stairwell I used so I can find the train car easily.

Yes this is correct.

Take bus 27 to Østerport or 25 to Østerport or Nørreport.

From here you can take any southbound S-train or Regionaltog, Øresundstog or Intercity train to København H.

There are no lockers on the train but access to the car/train decks are not allowed during the crossing so you should not be worried about your luggage.

But if you want to feel safe then have a small bag with passports, money, tickets etc you can carry with you on the ferry.

Thank you very much. I will keep my backpack with me that will have the majority of the stuff that I can't lose!

Carrie

We just returned from our Baltic Cruise in which we spent 2 days in Copenhagen before embarking and one full day in port on the cruise. Using your excellent advice, Danish Viking, we were able to exclusively use public transportation in Copenhagen.

We took the Metro from the airport to Kongens Nyport station upon arrival and walked the short distance to our hotel.

When it was time to get to our cruise ship for embarkation, we took the 26 bus from near our hotel to Osterport, Slojfens and then the 27 bus to Oceankaj.

On our port day, we took the 25 bus into the city from Oceankaj and the 27 bus from Osterport, Slojfens back to Oceankaj. In fact, we were able to help out some other cruisers who were waiting at Osterport for the 25 bus not realizing it had stopped running for the day. We led them to the 27 bus and they thought we were geniuses!

Today, at the end of our cruise, we took the 25 bus to Norreport and then took the Metro to the airport.

Everything worked just as you said it would and it was so easy (and much cheaper) to use public transportation as opposed to taxis or the cruiseline's buses.

So, thank you for your advice, Danish Viking, and I just want everyone to know how easy it is to get around in Copenhagen (especially with DV's detailed instructions.)

Edited by GradUT

Hi Danish Viking,

First i would like to thank you for the excellent information and to ask for your help. we arrive in Copenhagen on August 14th from Dublin. we are staying in the Grand Hotel which is near the Tivoli gardens so can we get the metro to central station from the airport and where do we go to get this.can we walk to our hotel from the station? next day we will take the bus to the port but where do we get the bus ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Denise

Fantastic :D

Did you have time to visit the cliffs of Møn, its a fantastic place.

I don´t hope the road construction on the motorway affected your trip to much.

Hi, DV, yes, we did get out to the cliffs, and what a beautiful area. I'm in the process of taking one of our photos near Mons Klint and having it made into a poster-size print for our home. We loved the green forest and paths, and the white cliffs were beautiful. The visitor's center at Mons Klint was really nice, too.

Road construction wasn't too bad out-of-city, but I'm glad we walked the path from the car park past Kongens Nytorv area the prior night, as there was some construction in the city that could have caused us problems (the GPS tried to route us right through the middle of it instead of around it). Still, driving in the city isn't something I would recommend, LOL! I tease my husband about the "2-near-accidents we had in the first 2 minutes from the car park" and about bringing traffic (both ways) to a standstill at one point on the return, but thankfully everyone was amazingly tolerant. I'm afraid I'll never forget the (very close to my passenger window) face of the one young lady whose car's path we nearly intersected on our way out of town, though. I do hope she's recovered from the scare by now. :eek:

Best wishes, and thank you again!

Good Day

We are arriving in Fredericia on aug 6/15 in port from 0800 hrs to 6;00 pm.

We are planning to take the the train from Fredericia to Kolding to view the Koldinghus Castle.

Questions

Would we be be able to take the train to Kolding and return to be on the ship before she sails?

Do you have the train times from Fredericia to Kolding, and return?

Is the castle worth visiting?

Thank you

Ross

Hi Danish Viking,

First i would like to thank you for the excellent information and to ask for your help. we arrive in Copenhagen on August 14th from Dublin. we are staying in the Grand Hotel which is near the Tivoli gardens so can we get the metro to central station from the airport and where do we go to get this.can we walk to our hotel from the station? next day we will take the bus to the port but where do we get the bus ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Denise

Don´t take the metro :D

Take the Øresundtog train towards Nivå or Helsingør and get off at the central station.

It goes every 10th minute.

Good Day

We are arriving in Fredericia on aug 6/15 in port from 0800 hrs to 6;00 pm.

We are planning to take the the train from Fredericia to Kolding to view the Koldinghus Castle.

Questions

Would we be be able to take the train to Kolding and return to be on the ship before she sails?

Do you have the train times from Fredericia to Kolding, and return?

Is the castle worth visiting?

Thank you

Ross

I have never been at Koldinghus but lots of people visit it every year so I think its worth visiting.

The timetable from next year isn´t ready but the timetable from this year has 2 departures every hour with a travel time of between 14 and 15 minutes.

Departures back to Fredericia is at 14 and 42 past the hour.

Write back in the start of the new year and I can look up the current train schedule.

Danish Viking:

I'm lost.

From airport to central station; is it best to take Øresundtog train towards Nivå or Helsingør and get off at the central station.

or.. to get to First Hotel Twenty Seven which is very close to central station, I read:

From airport...

walk 1 minute; tale Lufthavnen St. metro; ride for 8 stops and get off at Kongens Nytorv St?

Thanks

Different hotel, different travel options. :)

Hotel Twentyseven is located very close to the Stormbroen, Nationalmuseet bus stop.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Stormbroen,+Nationalmuseet/First+Hotel+Twentyseven,+L%C3%B8ngangstr%C3%A6de,+Copenhagen/@55.6753413,12.5729477,18z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525313e29e3ba1:0xe81a6885d5819900!2m2!1d12.576364!2d55.675874!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525312325915dd:0x51c30a13c1d7e143!2m2!1d12.5726674!2d55.6752919!3e2

Here you have 2 options.

As noted by you its possible to take the metro to Kongens Nytorv and then get bus 1A towards Avedøre st or Hvidovre Hospital or 26 towards Ålholm Plads.

You can also get bus 9A (Rødovre Centrum or Glostrup st.) and 40 (towards Nordhavn) from Christianshavn st (the stop just before Kongens Nytorv) or some other busses from other metro stations but that will probably just confuse you if you got all the options at hand. :D

Or take the Øresundtog train to the central station.

Then either

1A towards Hellerup st. or Klampenborg st.

2A towards Lergravsparken st. or Kastrup st. (not the airport but the town)

9A towards Operaen

26 towards Østerport st, Sløjfen or Færgeterminal Søndre Frihavn

40 towards Refshaleøen

Or you can walk from the central station in 10-15 minutes time.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/K%C3%B8benhavn+H,+Copenhagen/First+Hotel+Twentyseven,+L%C3%B8ngangstr%C3%A6de,+Copenhagen/@55.6740387,12.5642059,16z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652530d3d6ca497:0x10d8550cb8d90ad2!2m2!1d12.5646907!2d55.6727115!1m5!1m1!1s0x46525312325915dd:0x51c30a13c1d7e143!2m2!1d12.5726674!2d55.6752919!3e2

Oh sorry i read it as 15 of june and thats why I´m guessed that it was next year :o

Train are only going once each hour because of some track repairs that has been going on the whole summer.

Departure times towards Kolding, its the train towards Esbjerg.

09:08, 10:08 etc, traveltime 15 minutes.

In the other direction its at 14:46, 15:46, 16:46 etc and this time the direction is Lindholm.

Travel direction the other way is 19 minutes.

We just returned from our Baltic Cruise in which we spent 2 days in Copenhagen before embarking and one full day in port on the cruise. Using your excellent advice, Danish Viking, we were able to exclusively use public transportation in Copenhagen.

We took the Metro from the airport to Kongens Nyport station upon arrival and walked the short distance to our hotel.

When it was time to get to our cruise ship for embarkation, we took the 26 bus from near our hotel to Osterport, Slojfens and then the 27 bus to Oceankaj.

On our port day, we took the 25 bus into the city from Oceankaj and the 27 bus from Osterport, Slojfens back to Oceankaj. In fact, we were able to help out some other cruisers who were waiting at Osterport for the 25 bus not realizing it had stopped running for the day. We led them to the 27 bus and they thought we were geniuses!

Today, at the end of our cruise, we took the 25 bus to Norreport and then took the Metro to the airport.

Everything worked just as you said it would and it was so easy (and much cheaper) to use public transportation as opposed to taxis or the cruiseline's buses.

So, thank you for your advice, Danish Viking, and I just want everyone to know how easy it is to get around in Copenhagen (especially with DV's detailed instructions.)

I appreciate your feedback and its good to.hear that your time in Copenhagen went well.