NCL Epic - Reliability of at-sea cell service URGENT

sms2435

You have my deepest sympathies. You have a week to go before you are "on vacation" yet the only question you have is about a 1 hour conference call.

Your job may pay well, but if you have to take your work away, (assuming this is a work related conference call), I should look for another job. There is no chance in hell that I would make a conference call while on holiday.

I know you are not talking to me, but this response is rather... well, uncalled for.

* the OP may have plenty of other questions

* Should look for another job?

* No chance in hell I would take call...

The whole thing is so out of place. Personally, I have had some great jobs over the years and owned businesses. I can think of times that a call would have taken place and not been a vacation buster.

Except the OP has disappeared anyway. Posted on the 10th and hasn't been back since morning of the 11th:mad:

Isn't it amazing how often this happens.

Someone has an question, then they disappear.

But, we fall all over ourselves attempting to help.

LOL!

I just read OP's post #2. He will be in Ocho Rios Jamaica when he needs to make the call. Does anyone have information on calls from there?

Looks like OP only made one post here, the OP

Isn't it amazing how often this happens.

Someone has an question, then they disappear.

But, we fall all over ourselves attempting to help.

LOL!

There were just a few helpful posts and a lot of snark. Hardly the kind of responses that would lead someone to return, but . . .

I wasn't talking to you. I'm sure the OP can speak for themselves.

Some people on this message board sure do have thin skin don't they. :roll eyes: I am surprised your posts haven't been deleted yet, I've had so many disappear over the years I've lost count.

Looks like OP only made one post here, the OP

There were just a few helpful posts and a lot of snark. Hardly the kind of responses that would lead someone to return, but . . .

First of all, he DID post twice (look at his past posts), doesn't necessarily mean on THIS thread.

But, if there's snarkiness, he hasn't been back to see them, so it doesn't matter;)

First of all, he DID post twice (look at his past posts), doesn't necessarily mean on THIS thread.

But, if there's snarkiness, he hasn't been back to see them, so it doesn't matter;)

OK, one post here, glad you agree. Guess you stalked him to find the other post. :rolleyes:

Has he been back? That's unknowable to us up to now. Could well be that the snark led him not to post more.

• 4 months later...

We are 60 days prior to sailing on the Getaway so no emergency responses sought.

Researched cell service at sea and talked to Verizon. The rep talked like it was no biggie. Once onboard press *228 to change "towers". Someone calls our phone, it rings even at sea. $2.49/minute. We do not text or have smart phones so iConcierge is out.

Is it really that simple?

Wanting to have contact with the staff managing the livestock.

Edited by KaralotStables

Holy dead-thread, Batman!

Another option is that you can find satellite phones for rent, they are approx. $50 per week and then charge you less than $2 per minute.

That is a good option for anyone REALLY needing phone coverage around the world. You can find these companies via internet search (satellite phone rental).

I am on a cruise next week and now need to make an important 1 hour conference call back to Canada while at sea and am wondering on the quality and reliability of the at-sea cell service. Anyone out there have experience using this service for a long period of time?

Also cost of the call will be around $300 and I am wondering if there are other options out there? Does NCL Epic offer some sort of landline service while in port? It has to be semi-private.

Need help urgently if anyone can offer guidance on this!!!

We have never sail NCL, but my husband had 2 phone interviews for work that he did on the Carnival Breeze and it worked just fine. The first one was about an hour and the second one was an hour and a half. I think was paid 2.50 a min. He also would drop calls if he was not on the balcony or in the upper part of the ship. He had no problem doing the interview on the phone while sipping a cocktail on the balcony!!!