Semi-Brillance (a review)

fd851

We just got back from a 4 night on the Brilliance out of Tampa. My review has probably as many questions as it does observations. As I am a positive person, we will start with the good things.

Embarkation....Probably the smoothest I have ever experienced. We rolled up in a taxi, and were on board within about 20 minutes! Excellent! General observations on the ship, quite possibly the cleanest, and most tastefully decorated cruise ship I have ever cruised. The elevators with the view of the outside are very nice. Our wait staff was good, our cabin steward was good, the concierge was good, the waiters in the diamond lounge were good, the headliner (sorry, can't remember his name, but he is the comedian who traveled with the Beach Boys).was good too.

The not so good: We had requested a table for two, got placed at a table for 12, apparently, someone thought we wouldn't notice the first digit! It did get resolved, and we got sat at a table for 2 by the second night. However, the waiter had several smaller tables, and treated them as a large table...namely, he waited until everyone was seated, took orders at once, kept everyone on the same schedule. In large part, we wanted a smaller table to make sure that doesn't happen. I like dinner, but it doesn't have to be a two hour event. The food in the MDR, really left something to be desired. The choices were the standard and lacking a whole lot of variety. By the third night, I was resorting to the standard steak, which turned out to be inedible. The food in the windjammer was lacking taste or variety, as well. We went to Rita's Cantina, for lunch one day. I was surprised that the people from the windjammer kept bringing their food out there to eat. I finally had to wave down one of the standard waiters (blue and white shirt) and ask him who was supposed to take our order or if I had to do it at the bar. He said he could take care of it. We ordered Nachos, and the quesadillas. After about 15 minutes, they brought the nachos. About 15 minutes after that, we got the quesadillas. I had to go to the bar to pay afterwards. In short, it was only slightly better than self serve, and I had to pay for it.

We had a balcony stateroom, on deck 7. It was a guarantee, so I can't complain too much, but let's just say those rooms are a "far piece" from the ocean. They are directly above the lifeboats. There is a piece of metal that extends out over the lifeboats, so you cannot look down and see the water. There is a 12 foot hunk of metal between you and the ocean. We spoke with some who were in similar rooms, but none said theirs were advertised as "partially obstructed."

Also, on the room, when we went to unpack, I discovered the safe was not working. I called to ask to have someone fix it. I was informed that the attendant would be there in 30 minutes, and for safety reasons, I had to be in the room when he came to fix it!!!! I had to stay in the room! As I couldn't just leave money and stuff lying around the room, so I waited for him to come fix it!. He did arrive at 30 minutes, and told me the batteries had worked themselves out. Not sure why I needed to waste 45 minutes of my vacation so they could fix something, but I did, nonetheless.

The really not good: Clo whatever her last name is. I saw her 3 or 4 times on the entire cruise. At the first night's show, she announced that this was her last cruise before vacation, and that her family was onboard. They surprised her (supposedly) with her husband. She was overjoyed (it was a nice moment, but one never knows the fine line between reality and showmanship!) The RC Singers and Dancers did their thing. We watched about 3 songs, then left. Typical cruise ship fare (as Simon Cowell would have said) The additional activities were limited that night, but it was the first night, so we didn't think much about it. Hung out a bit, and eventually went to bed.

Day 2, I awoke and turned on the TV to catch the cruise director morning show. The first thing I hear is her explaining how this is the "Last sea day, and disembarkation is tomorrow! She advertised the belly flop competition and went on and on. I always knew these things were prerecorded, but at least make sure it is the right day! I assumed it was because her hubby showed up, and thought she deserved a little alone time, so was willing to overlook it. It is probably no misinterpretation that I am an American, at this point. However, I could understand very little of what she said, very strong accent. The activities manager, Chris, I believe, was even worse! He also was some variety of UK, but mumbled (like my own teenagers) to the point where I may have gotten about one third of what he said!

Back to Clo, She came in after the headliner on Day 2 to wrap up that event. We missed the show on Day 3 so I can't swear if she was there or not. She did show up farewell show, and had a very emotional departure from her staff at the 70's party. These were the only times I saw her. She never stepped foot in the diamond lounge (spent a lot of time there, as there was not much else going on). There was no love and marriage show, no quest, no belly flop, no hairy legs, no battle of the sexes, or any of the other things one usually expects. (No I don't always participate, but I do like to watch) When I questioned the concierge, she said that they never do those things on 4 night cruises. Well, I have experienced them all on the Sovereign, Majesty, Monarch, Enchantment (some even on three nights) as well as the bigger ships and longer cruises. As she repeatedly pointed out, this was her final cruise on this contract. It was also, my first (and possibly last) on the Brilliance, and felt like I deserved more than having her "phone this one in!"

The lady singing in the schooner bar was bad! The shops closed at about 10:30. The food in the solarium was bad, and the manager of it just had an air of nastiness about him.

The truly bad. Just try to get a drink in this place! There were never more than 2 waiters prowling the pool decks. There were rarely waiters working the venues. The night of the headliner, in the theater, there was one waiter and one bartender working. So here is my question. Now that everyone buys drink packages, have they done away with the wait staff to make it more difficult to get a drink? In short, if we make it tough enough, eventually you will give up, or only drink half as much as you would have otherwise? (No I am not a raging alcoholic, nor did I have a drink package)

As I had already mentioned, the food was less than stellar, and the whole ship closed down at 10:30 So, if you got hungry, the only place to go was the solarium. The pizza was not good, and they never had the kind I wanted (pepperoni, I am really not hard to please!) So by night 3, we got back to the room at 11:20 and ordered room service. One beef burger, one spinach and artichoke dip, 2 iced tea and one order of cookies. 1:05 AM was when it finally arrived! Needless to say I was not a happy camper. Night 4, I decided to give it another try. I ordered at 10:30, she called me to confirm and told me it would be 45 minutes. At 60 minutes I called, she told me it would be there in 10 minutes. It showed up 15 minutes later, and was wrong. My wife called and asked for the onions and bacon they had left off the burgers. She was told it would be there in 10 minutes! I called at 15 and was told it would be there in another 10. I asked for the supervisor, the lady told me she was the highest person in room service, I protested, she suggested I call guest relations. By the time I got through to guest relations, we had passed the 10 minute mark. I was still complaining when the waiter knocked on the door and delivered an appropriately dressed but ice cold beef burger. The lady at guest relations wanted to know if she could have them bring me anything else, when I told her that it was cold. I told her I didn't think so, as I had to get off the ship in 6 hours and wasn't sure if it would be there by then. (Actually, I just said, NO, thank you and hung up the phone!)

So here is my questions Are others experiencing this lack of service, as well. I mean, as long as I have been cruising, I have heard people complain about staff being moved from smaller ships to the larger ones. But this time, I was seriously beginning to think they are right! Don't get me wrong, the staff was friendly enough, but something was missing. Yes I was delivered an "adequate experience" at a reasonable price. But there was absolutely no "WOW" whatsoever. Let me know your thoughts or questions!

Thanks,

I was on the 4 day on the 11th and had a great time. Had no problem with crew, food, or drinks. Loved the roastbeef sandwiches in the Park Cafe. My sister being the picky one with food had no problem and said it was the first time she had the standard steak that she could eat it with out complaint. You can't expect all the things like Quest, Love and Marriage Ect on a 4 day cruise. There just isn't time. I don't tend to eat that late at night so can't say about room service but have in the past brought things back from windjammer as a snack later in the night. For a positive guy I don't see much more them negative. I tend to make lemonaid out of lemons. I can always find fun on a cruise. And I have been on 30 RCC.

I agree with a lot of what you posted. My wife and I were on the 11th sailing of the Brilliance. I was less than wowed with the sailing. A bright side IMO was the MDR food. I gave up on the Windjammers tasteless food on day 2. Tried lunch and breakfast there but wasn't very good. Have had much better food on the Monarch and Enchantment 3 night cruises. Our JS was nicely appointed, however the bed was absolutely horrible. The mattress was rock hard. The noise from the staff after midnight was unbearable. Getting no sleep isn't my idea of a fun cruise. Even though I live near Tampa, I won't be sailing Brilliance any time soon.

Tom

We recently sailed Brilliance on a five night cruise . The food in the dining room was great always served hot & the service was impeccable . Our stateroom a superior balcony was large with lots of closet space . The windjammer was confusing with all those unmarked stations .It took us til day four to find things . Our real complaint was lack of daytime activities . We were considering a long cruise on the Brilliance but the lack of activities made us change our minds .

We recently sailed Brilliance on a five night cruise . The food in the dining room was great always served hot & the service was impeccable . Our stateroom a superior balcony was large with lots of closet space . The windjammer was confusing with all those unmarked stations .It took us til day four to find things . Our real complaint was lack of daytime activities . We were considering a long cruise on the Brilliance but the lack of activities made us change our minds .

I find the short cruises do lack daytime activities.I'm usually in the spa or by the pool reading and relaxing. Due to a stressful job I enjoy short no hassle cruises. I still had lots of fun at night.

Just off the 5nt sailing on the Brilliance & I too noticed a serious lack of wait staff..especially as noted in the theater..

Food in the dining room was fair to not good...until the last night when the rigatoni pasta with a cream sauce was some of the best I've ever eaten! French onion soup had no melted cheese on top...and the cream brulee had no crusty brown topping at all...little things possibly...but but enough to be noticeable and make you feel that the MDR was not quite the experience you had hoped for or expected...

I am booked to sail the Brilliance again in April with family...because we got a great price I have no plans to cancel...but will advise my sister's to adjust their expectations a bit downward...

Other than the OP's experience in Rita's, I couldn't disagree more. We were on the 11th too and had great service. We had our best Chop's and Giovanni's experience on this ship. Rita's is a failure. There was one bartender and no waiter for Margarita Madness. Brilliance has Park Cafe in the Solarium and it was good but not great. We had great service in the MDR although we noticed that the assistant did everything but take our dinner order. The waiter did take the time to apprise us of the usual next day dining options. I can't comment on waiters at the pool because I'd rather go to the bar myself and get to know the bartenders. He we stopped doing shorties years ago because they didn't measure up but the price on this cruise was too good to pass up. We were pleasantly surprised leaving the ship how good of a cruise it was.

Added: I agree on the deck 7 balconies. We looked down and thought we probably wouldn't want one of those cabins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Big_G

You can't expect all the things like Quest, Love and Marriage Ect on a 4 day cruise. There just isn't time.

Yes there is, and yes you can. I've done many 3 night cruises on Enchantment and Monarch and always had Love and Marriage and Quest. Even that worthless John Blair did Quest and Love and Marriage on the 3 night Enchantment.

I think some Cruise Directors just don't like doing them and rather than admitting that just say that there wasn't time.

You can't expect all the things like Quest, Love and Marriage Ect on a 4 day cruise. There just isn't time.

I am confused why you think this. I've sailed the Radiance and JOS with the same itinerary and they didn't have a problem. The Enchantment does a 3 night and they always have these activities.

When we were on the Brilliance the 11th, the days at sea (2 of them) had nothing going on, except people hanging out at the pool. Not one single pool activity. The Quest and Love and Marriage are signature shows for them and people look forward to it.

The Brilliance is the only ship that seems can't fit anything into a four night cruise.

She was overjoyed (it was a nice moment, but one never knows the fine line between reality and showmanship!)

I always find them very "False" in their dealings with the Guests. Glad you too are under the same impression.

Last time, the staff were looking at my breasts whilst talking with me. I was a tad embarrassed by this.

Its a shame that you had so many issues to report.

Hopefully you will continue to cruise with Royal, as they are a great company overall.

I have only done 4 day cruises, and they all had those shows and lots going on. Now maybe that was cause it was a Bahamas cruise, or maybe it has something to do with the excellent cruise director Marc Walker.......

It sounds like my next 4 day cruise, which is on Brilliance is going to be much different.....guess I will have to find out for myself in 32 days...but defn sounds like a different experience than I am used to!

First, let me thank you all for not pointing out my spelling mistake. I guess I am not too "brilliant" either!!!

Also, thanks to those of you who didn't think I was crazy, or point out that I am not as "positive" as I think I am.

I am looking forward to hearing the impressions of those sailing in the near future on her (Karen, Sam & Martha, and the Canadian fellow who doesn't use his name!). Here is the primary reason I started this thread...My wife booked the Brilliance for her and her mother next year.....it was one of those deals that was too good to pass up. However, she is questioning if she made the right decision, and needed to go a different direction. Her mother doesn't cruise as much as we do, and she didn't want her to be disappointed.

Lynn, no worries about us giving RCCL another chance....spent way too much money to give up that free wine in the Diamond Lounge and start over with anyone else! Also, I kept my eyes straight ahead whilst typing this!!!!!

Sailor Sally, on your 5 night, did they do the quest, L&M, and usual cruise hoopla?

Gregg, so you ate at specialty restaurants at least half the time? Correct? 4 nights and you hit Giovanni's, Chops, and maybe (or maybe not) Rita's? I am not a big fan of the whole specialty restaurant craze. I think I already paid, and am not to interested in paying more....(OH NO, I stepped in it now!) No judgment here, just wondering why you choose the specialty restaurants over the MDR? Is it a variety thing, or a service thing, or what? Any insight you offer would be appreciated. I really love learning about other's experiences and thoughts.

Also, was anyone else witness to the "alpha and delta" event that happened in the sky bar? I think it was the last night. We happen to be in the diamond lounge when the call went out. It was impressive to watch the response. They went from 2 to 30 crew members in about a 3 minute period!!! It is nice to know that they take security so seriously!

Sailor Sally, on your 5 night, did they do the quest, L&M, and usual cruise hoopla?

They did Quest on the last night of the cruise at 11:45 .No Love & marriage .Most of the activities were late at night after 11 Pm during the day there was nothing . We were so bored we even went to the art auction where they tried to persuade me to buy a $14,500 painting ! They showed the same movie all week . I liked the ship but they really need to up the activities .Several people that we met said the same thing .

I was on the Nov. 22 five night sailing and the MDR food was much better than I expected, having been disappointed with Royal's food in the past. We had the beef tenderloin in Giovanni's the first night and it was excellent. The next night we had it in the MDR and it was every bit as good there.

I typically avoid buffets, but walked through it a couple of times to go to Rita's and felt glad I'd avoided it. We enjoyed Andre, the waiter at Rita's, the 2 for 1 Margaritas, and the loaded nachos for something like $2.50, but you're right about the lack of service. If we hadn't sat at the bar we might have never eaten. To me, them carving Rita's out of the Windjammer is just ridiculous.

The solarium is my favorite place and I loved the roast beef sandwiches at Park Cafe. What I hated was all the noise at the bar. On Celebrity the solarium is very quiet and peaceful; the noise at the bar just seemed out of place. But I guess it needs to be there because you're right that there were no servers anywhere!

The 70's party was lots of fun.

In short, I liked Brilliance enough to book it again next month.