RCCL should change to Rotional Dining vs DD

tapemann

You could simply do it for YOURSELF. If you previously like eating every night at 6pm make reservations each night for 6pm; rotate the restaurants; if you find one that you like more than the others, after you have tried each once then go back to the one/s you liked more for the remaining nights on the cruise. It doesn't seem so difficult.

What is so difficult?

They actually have to do some work. That's too difficult. Lol

I think you are rushing your predictions. We will see how many loyal Royals will stop sailing on any ship with DD.

Count me in those that won't sail Royal with DD. At least for 2 or 3 years until they get the kinks worked out. And then, only maybe. Guess ill go with Walmart Carnival in the meantime.

You could simply do it for YOURSELF. If you previously like eating every night at 6pm make reservations each night for 6pm; rotate the restaurants; if you find one that you like more than the others, after you have tried each once then go back to the one/s you liked more for the remaining nights on the cruise. It doesn't seem so difficult.

What is so difficult?

Very. Wanted 6 or 6:15pm to emulate the time that we would eat under traditional, however, for some strange reason it was very difficult to get any semblance of early dining times. When we booked DD on the Quantum, the only available time was in the 8ish. too late for us. Got C&A involved and it took some 2-3 weeks to complete the 11 nite dining venues for both the complimentary and specialty restaurants. Also, when I thought that everything was set with the entertainment reservations, lo & behold most of the shows disappeared from my cruise planner calendar. Had to scramble for replacements, which of course impacted our dining times. Talking about frustration.

What is so difficult?

Royal's IT system.

This is exactly what we tried to do - rotate through the restaurants - and we didn't even care what time it was for, unless it interfered with show reservations or port times, or was exceptionally late for us (9 pm). 4 months before sailing, and it was nearly impossible to get all the reservations lined up because everything kept reading as unavailable.

It took hours between the online system that had too many glitches to count, reservations that would just disappear, show times that would move and then cancel out/conflict with your reservation since they insist on booking 2 hr blocks for dinner, phone calls with the reps over and over again who often didn't have the same information as online. It was just a big headache, and this was months before we even set sail.

Could we have just not made reservations? Sure, but I mentioned in one of the Quantum threads that we were talking with the check-in staff about a few of the days where we didn't make reservations initially - for exactly the reasons you mentioned, wanting to go back to the places we liked best - and they didn't make it sound like you could actually walk up whenever you wanted and get in. They basically told us we could walk in around 5:30 or we'd likely end up at the Windjammer. So we pretty much felt like we had to make reservations.

It's not difficult in theory. Their system just leaves a lot to be desired.

Two reasons: 1) Disney serves the most bland and uninspired food I've ever had the misfortune to suffer through, and 2) Other than Lumiere's, the remaining venues had all the ambiance of a cafeteria. So on one night, you get unpalatable food in a halfway decent restaurant (unless you're fortunate enough to be there the night they serve the mixed grill - which seems to be the only thing they know how to cook), and the other two in the rotation, you get unpalatable food in a cafeteria. The only restaurants on board that actually know how to prepare food properly are Palo (which we do 2- 3 nights on a cruise), and Topsider's, which we do the other nights.

The Artist's Palette is hardly a cafeteria and the changing of the screens on the wall from black-and-white to color as the meal progresses is pure Disney Magic.

Edited by The Big Booper

The Artist's Palette is hardly a cafeteria and the changing of the screens on the wall from black-and-white to color as the meal progresses is pure Disney Magic.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion. In my opinion, sitting on plastic covered metal chairs at thinly veiled banquet tables while theatrics distract you from the reality that the meal has never seen any seasoning and bears little if any resemblance to what was described on the menu Is the true definition of "magic" - classic misdirection so you don't notice you're eating in a glorified cafeteria.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I think you are rushing your predictions. We will see how many loyal Royals will stop sailing on any ship with DD.
We will only book ships that offer a traditional MDR! We tried DD on Quantum, and it is not for us. We refuse to pay more for food, and the complementary restaurants do not offer enough variety for us to choose to eat there more than once. Edited by DonnaK

Rotational Dining , where guest change Diningrooms nightly would give the different Menu's. This would stop the having to make Rez and the whole table changes Restaurants.

I really think this would be the best compromise that would suet most people. The Disney dining program, is the best I have seen at sea, Royal would be advised to reconsider Dynamic, for this.

Now, a couple of things to remember about "Rotational Dining":

1. You will have a ticket with your table number (which is the same in all 3 dining venues) so you go right to your table, without a line, or the need to check reservations and find you a table.

2. The menus are themed for the different dining venues and thus add to the experience.

3. The set times are great, being that you always know when to get to dinner and you never will miss a show, or have trouble finding a seat, at one!

Really, the best dining program, I have seen at sea!!!

Edited by gkbiiii

It's not about changing the menu. RCI has decided that those they are attempting to attract as new customers don't like the current dining systems of same table, same time, same waiter, same table mates, two formal nights, etc,. You might as well get over it. Dynamic Dining will be implemented on every ship where it is possible to do so.
It's not about the 'loyal Royals'. It's about attracting a new and younger cruising demographic who are turned off by the classic cruise dining experience. Dynamic Dining is the future.

Royal has pretty clearly stated that they're testing Dynamic Dining on a few ships - and whether or not it's adopted fleetwide & how quickly if so, depends on the success & acceptance. That makes your attempt at making authoritative statements about it being a foregone conclusion that it will be implemented on every ship... rather ridiculous. :rolleyes:

It is "Magical" and I miss the Caribbean themed room, as well. Trident's & Lemur's (hope this is the spelling) ooze class!!

Royal has pretty clearly stated that they're testing Dynamic Dining on a few ships - and whether or not it's adopted fleetwide & how quickly if so, depends on the success & acceptance. That makes your attempt at making authoritative statements about it being a foregone conclusion that it will be implemented on every ship... rather ridiculous. :rolleyes:

I was unfortunately told by Quantum's Hotel Director Darren Budden, that it is a forgone conclusion!

People stop this BS already, all ships will be dynamic people want choices and the couple of people thay complain about it here can go to another line but I'm sure that won't last long. NCL is out for you complainers, carnival will be out too, for now princess, costa and holland offers what u want main and late dining and a couple of specialty restaurants, but I'm sure princess won't last that long with that concept and go anytime dining eventually for all.

This doesn't cut it for most cruisers now a days , we want choices, we don't mind paying for choices , we don't mind making reservations to get our choices.

Much like Disney Parks, you spend your whole vacation running, to one set of reservations to another: Dining to Show, Show to Dining, Member parties, to Dinner, etc. Just like Disney; Planning, Planning, & more Planning! Just don't slip up and miss your reservations, than your SOL!!!!!

Just I hope that these things don't interfere with each-other, as they often conflicted on my Quantum voyage.

Edited by gkbiiii

Much like Disney Parks, you spend your whole vacation running, to one set of reservations to another: Dining to Show, Show to Dining, Member parties, to Dinner, etc. Just like Disney; Planning, Planning, & more Planning! Just don't slip up and miss your reservations, than your SOL!!!!!

Just I hope that these things don't interfere with each-other, as they often conflicted on my Quantum voyage.

And just like Disney quantum is sailing full and pulling higher premium prices which people are happy and willing to pay. The ship is in such high demand they are sending it to China since Asia is the largest growth cruise market currently. The second ship anthem is almost finished and will take off right where quantum left off with ovation pulling in not far after that. Ya rccl really has a bad idea with this stuff:rolleyes:

I'm confused. On DCL, only the actual diningroom changes nightly. You get the same offering on each night, no matter which space you are in. So if you did not like the offerings on two of the three nights, you would not have been happy no matter where you were on those two nights; they all serve the same menu, on the same night. For instance, on night 2, you would have the same choices in each of the dining venues.

This is not true at all. :confused:

There is a menu for each dining room that you rotate through. One for each restaurant, pirate night, and then if your sailing has more nights there are additional menus. If there are 7 nights there are 7 menus. 14 has 14. There are no repeats. There is also a classic menu each night that includes basics like steak, chicken or salmon plus vegetarian options. Plus the chefs are happy to make different dishes if you have dietary restrictions or are in the mood for something. You just have to ask with a little notice. We've had Indian curries many times that are not on any menu.

Also the restaurants mentioned so far with incorrect names include Animator's (not Artist's) Palate, Triton's and Lumiere's.

We've only sailed with Disney (4x) so we only know rotational dining. I loved that we got to try different restaurants and really, the food wasn't that different from the next restaurant so I'm surprised to see someone above felt like they were stuck at restaurants that they didn't like 2 out of the 3 nights. Yes, they have slightly different cuisines but they always offered basics like a pasta dish, chicken dish, beef dish and seafood dish and they're SUPER accommodating. I really liked that our wait staff moved along with us to the different restaurants too.

I'm looking forward to sailing with Royal for the first time but that is one of the things I'm a tad concerned about... eating in the same restaurant every single night. I'm sure it'll be fine though! We're not the picky type... or the complaining type but I do think I'll miss rotational dining.

I know we can go to Chops and Giovani's just like we could have gone to Palo and Remi's with Disney but of course those options cost extra.

Don't fret, I think you will enjoy the MDR. With the main dining room, the menu changes every night with the exception of a few favorites that are consistent throughout the cruise, so you will have a new culinary experience each night.

As with Disney, you'll have the same servers and table each night (My family did MTD and still had the same waitstaff and table each night). We really enjoyed the main dining room experience, especially dressing up for the formal nights and the interaction with the wait staff, who were exceedingly good and anticipating our desires.

Welcome to Royal (from a fellow new comer) and have a wonderful cruise!

This is not true at all. :confused:

There is a menu for each dining room that you rotate through. One for each restaurant, pirate night, and then if your sailing has more nights there are additional menus. If there are 7 nights there are 7 menus. 14 has 14. There are no repeats.

If I am understanding your statement, on a seven day cruise there are 21 menus, one for each night, differing in each restaurant?

The first three nights are the rotation menus for each MDR (so yes, different), the 4th night is pirate night, then princess night, captain's gala and the farewell menu (as I understand, the same menu in each venue).

As I understand it on a seven night cruise the first three nights are the unique rotational menus in each of the three restaurants. The remaining four nights would be the same menu in each of the venues.

I'm sure you'll correct me if this in inaccurate.

Don't fret, I think you will enjoy the MDR. With the main dining room, the menu changes every night with the exception of a few favorites that are consistent throughout the cruise, so you will have a new culinary experience each night.

As with Disney, you'll have the same servers and table each night (My family did MTD and still had the same waitstaff and table each night). We really enjoyed the main dining room experience, especially dressing up for the formal nights and the interaction with the wait staff, who were exceedingly good and anticipating our desires.

Welcome to Royal (from a fellow new comer) and have a wonderful cruise!

Thank you HiCSailor! I really am looking forward to it and I'm going in with an open mind. It will be different... and different can be good! I'm sure we'll love it. ;)

Which is a polite way to say we've already decided that DD will go fleet wide but we'll give the appearance that your opinion counts.

Agree to an extent, but who wants forcing into speciality dining every time they cruise?

DD is not a conspiracy to force anyone to go to the specialty restaurants. For example, there are as many seats in the three complimentary restaurants on Oasis/Allure after DD as there were before DD. If DD was a conspiracy to force people to do the specialty restaurants, it is poorly implemented as there would have to be a significant change in the seats available.