First. Time Sailing on Norwegian Star

Granana

My husband and I (in our mid 60s) just booked a November 2015 cruise on the Star for a western Caribbean cruise. Our only cruise experience has been with Disney. I am trying to become acquainted with NCL and the Star. I've seen lots of photos but need help about NCL's tipping policy, anytime dining, dress code, ability to keep same server(s) throughout the cruise, etc. Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated, including opinions/experiences on the NCL line, especially the Star. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Granana

My husband and I (in our mid 60s) just booked a November 2015 cruise on the Star for a western Caribbean cruise. Our only cruise experience has been with Disney. I am trying to become acquainted with NCL and the Star. I've seen lots of photos but need help about NCL's tipping policy, anytime dining, dress code, ability to keep same server(s) throughout the cruise, etc. Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated, including opinions/experiences on the NCL line, especially the Star. Thanks!

Lots of the information you are asking for is readily available right there on NCL.com. Check the Frequently Asked Questions under "Help" on the main page. There is also sections on the web site that will tell you what dining is available on your ship both complimentary and surcharge restaurants.

Cheers.

NCL charges $12/person/day to your onboard account. This is called the DSC, Discretionary Service Charge. It covers all tips and gratuities to everyone on the ship except the concierge and butler. If you are booked in a suite you should tip them separately for their services. The DSC also does not cover the kid's club staff. Anytime dining is just that, you show up at any restaurant when you want to eat. With some of the specialty restaurants you might have to make a reservation to eat at the time you wish. The dress code is very relaxed. Only Le Bistro and the aft Main Dining Room require men to wear long pants. ALL other restaurants you can wear shorts and relaxed clothing for dinner. You can kind of keep the same server but you have to follow them. Sometimes they switch restaurants or areas so you will have to coordinate with them to know when/where they will be. Doable, but kind of a hassle.

The Star is a nice ship. She is going in for a two week dry dock in March of 2015 so she should be in better shape for your cruise. If you enjoy fine dining think about buying the Ultimate Dining Package. You can eat at any/all specialty restaurants on any/every night of your cruise. Well worth the money.

NCL is a definite notch down from Disney so lower your expectations and you should be fine.

Thanks for directing me to the website. Still would appreciate personal experiences/opinions.

We go back and forth between NCL and DCL and try not to compare them and look at them individually. We've been on the Star twice (and the Dawn once which is a sister ship) and would not have any problem sailing on the Star again.

The dress code on NCL is pretty informal. You can eat in any of the free or pay restaurants at any time. You may or may not get the same server in any restaurant as they tend to rotate.

On the NCL site is a dining guide pdf (you kind of have to look for it) and it will list the restaurants on each ship and any fee.

You can kind of keep the same server but you have to follow them. Sometimes they switch restaurants or areas so you will have to coordinate with them to know when/where they will be. Doable, but kind of a hassle.

While you already mentioned "when" meaning that one might have to adjust their dining time according to the waiter's work schedule, being able to get them to serve you might not always even be doable.

On our last cruise on Jade the waiter we had one night in one MDR didn't have their own section assigned the following night but they only came in later to assist with a large group in one of the other sections - we asked to be seated with their section but were told that they don't have their own section that night and while we were eating, they came by to greet us and apoligize that their schedule didn't allow our wish to be granted.

Edited by Demonyte

We sailed on Star in April, and are booked again for March. We are in our late 60's, and usually sail Princess.

We found the Star to be enjoyable, although we were in a suite. Our DS DIL and GD were in an inside, and NCL has the smallest inside cabins I have ever seen.

We are not fans of anytime dining, and are early diners--5 PMish. We found the Versailles dining room to get crowded early.

We didn't find much of anything to complain about, but suite life may be different.

We are looking forward to our March cruise.

Patti