What success have you had with the TSA approved luggage locks and searches??

FLCruiser25

Because they are government employees and the master key was probably a 25 foot walk from their current position and they couldn't be bothered to make the walk. (Or they couldn't find it that day)

The TSA is a total and absolute waste of time and money.

Totally agree. Not brushing all government workers, just the TSA...

The "TSA-approved" locks are worthless. The employees (I can't call them "officers") will just as soon cut the locks off with the cutters all have with them than walk to grab the key… What do you expect of people with basic education, some who were hired during an advertising spree on pizza box lids????? I have had my belongings rustled through and no "thank you for letting see if you have anything worth stealing" note… I never put anything I could not stand to lose in my checked bag (if I have one). I WILL, however, put a lock split-ring on my carryon before I take it through the security checkpoint in the US; too many anecdotal cases of iPads, iPhones, jewelry, etc., mysteriously disappearing when they go through the X-ray and then get taken out of your view for "further inspection" or when you opt out and the employee ignores the TSA rule that your belongings must be kept within your view at all times...

TSA-approved is just so the security sheeple can feel warm and fuzzy that they are safe and secure. A zip tie or split-ring are just as effective. The split-ring maybe more so, because it requires some skill and concentration to get it off the zipper ;)

I am going to be a contrarian and defend TSA. Most of their employees are hard working and do the best they can under less then ideal circumstances. It seems to be a current politically correct attitude to blame security and law enforcement for everything under the sun. But as one who does too much flying, I would rather have TSA doing their thing (although it's less then ideal) then having no security.

I would add that there are some better security procedures then used by TSA (just ask El Al) but political correctness has made the use of common sense darn near illegal. In our country we tie the hands of law enforcement and security and then still expect perfect results. When we go through TSA checks....we always make it a point to thank them rather then give them a hard time.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I am going to be a contrarian and defend TSA. Most of their employees are hard working and do the best they can under less then ideal circumstances. It seems to be a current politically correct attitude to blame security and law enforcement for everything under the sun. But as one who does too much flying, I would rather have TSA doing their thing (although it's less then ideal) then having no security.

I would add that there are some better security procedures then used by TSA (just ask El Al) but political correctness has made the use of common sense darn near illegal. In our country we tie the hands of law enforcement and security and then still expect perfect results. When we go through TSA checks....we always make it a point to thank them rather then give them a hard time.

Hank

Hank - please don't bring in "current politically correct" into this. If TSA actually had proper hiring practices, did proper and thorough background checks of anyone PRIOR to hiring, did proper and exhaustive training, and immediately fired people for improper behavior at their jobs, I might be OK with them. Far too many of them should not be working for TSA. Yes, there are "better" security procedures a la Israel; I've been there a few times and have gone through their security. They all have college degrees, take additional courses and, do not flaunt their position of authority. Unfortunately, it's not tying hands of US law enforcement (TSA is not law enforcement, by the way), it is that lack of scalability - 2 Israeli airports vs the hundreds in the US. TSA has spent millions on useless equipment (the "puffers", BX machines). It is all theater; even the outgoing TSA chief says we need to go back to the mag&bag for the vast majority of travelers instead of treating everyone like are already guilty. When the US gets it's act together and offers proper security with TRAINED employees, I won't gripe so much.

Sometimes we can understand the frustration felt by those responsible for security. Folks want college graduate, well trained, impeccable background, etc etc...and they expect to get these type employees in what is generally a boring job with mediocre pay. Bottom line is that to get top quality employees costs a lot of money and the public does not want to pay even more money to fly on planes, ride on trains, etc. So we get back to the old discussion where we want to pay relatively low wages (many TSA employees get less then $30,000 a year) and get the best security. It just "ain't" going to happen. El Al does hire the best security, but that airline is subsidized by their government and does not spare any cost. In addition, El Al, uses a very sophisticated passenger screening/profiling system which is always opposed by various civil rights groups in the USA.

In the USA we accept a compromise of security in order to keep more of our freedom. In Israel, even the most liberal citizens understand that there is little freedom without real security....but we in the USA refuse to accept that fact. The lessons of 911 were quickly forgotten by many who never miss an opportunity to toss barbs at any attempt of security. The news media now refuses to show the videos of folks jumping from the high floors of the WTC because its simply too horrible. But we sometimes wonder if we Americans need to be reminded of that horror the next time they complain because of a TSA pat-down.

Hank

Never use them or any other type of locking device.

We travel frequently. Never had anything stolen from our luggage. Not much of an issue for us since we switched to carry on only. We never buy anything that is obviously expensive designer type luggage. Our bags are actually plain jane and have lots of wear. We were always hoping that any thief would be attracted to a better looking or designer bags with a big locks on them!

We never did put anything of value in our suitcases-whether or not we are checking or carrying it them on. Just habit.

Besides, most of the locks that we have seen would fall open with either a sideways glance or two seconds and a bobby pin.

Edited by iancal