What success have you had with the TSA approved luggage locks and searches??

FLCruiser25

We just bought several luggage locks that are TSA approved for $10 each. I'm concerned after reading that they can still be cut off at port by security. I'll not be happy if they are cut off!

What is your success rate with luggage locks and how would you recommend others use them? Someone suggested locking them after boarding and when putting them in the hallway, but wouldn't your luggage be searched upon return and your lock could still be removed and taken?

Does security carefully go through your bag or do they mess everything up that was neatly packed?

My suitcases does have a TSA approved build-in lock - so they can't be cut off by security. I alway check-in locked suitcases.

However suitcases have been opened several times for inspection by TSA in airports for international flights - I have not experienced checks at ports before cruises and why should the luggage be checked at return?

A note was left by TSA inside the luggage and no mess - my suitcases are always neatly packed and almost no sign of TSA inspection.

My suitcases does have a TSA approved build-in lock - so they can't be cut off by security. I alway check-in locked suitcases.

However suitcases have been opened several times for inspection by TSA in airports for international flights - I have not experienced checks at ports before cruises and why should the luggage be checked at return?

A note was left by TSA inside the luggage and no mess - my suitcases are always neatly packed and almost no sign of TSA inspection.

We flew it of Nassau this September and my bag had been opened and the TSA lock was not cut. All of my goPro items were scattered through my suitcase, not in its small carrying bag that it was originally packed in. Nothing was taken and no note was left. I figured if they saw all the goPro gear packed in an x-Ray machine all they saw was wires and small boxes. I could understand security wanting to look in my bag.

We have never had our bag inspected before, that we are aware of.

We've "lost" 3 TSA locks to the TSA or someone at the airport. They haven't been cut off, they just aren't there when we picked up the luggage. I'm not a pretty packer so I never know if someone has been in my luggage. In the past I've found TSA notices in my bag that they opened my luggage but haven't seen a notice in a long time. . . just missing locks. Using TSA locks dont give me any confidence, I only have 1 more to lose. I won't be replacing them.

I lose a couple of locks each year. I don't know if they get cut off, or just broken off in the various baggage-handling equipment at ports and airports. For that reason I try to buy fairly cheap ones.

I know it's not much of a deterrent, since my luggage is soft-sided with a nylon zip, and I ve seen the videos, but it makes me happy to lock it. Cable ties are annoying if I forget the scissors or nail clippers to cut them off with.

We, too, have had TSA approved locks simply disappear. But nothing missing and no note either. I once accidently locked the lock without realizing it wasn't on the code I had set. Thus when I went to open it I had no clue what the numbers were. My husband opened it for me in under a minute with a bobby pin.

We just bought several luggage locks that are TSA approved for $10 each. I'm concerned after reading that they can still be cut off at port by security. I'll not be happy if they are cut off!

What is your success rate with luggage locks and how would you recommend others use them? Someone suggested locking them after boarding and when putting them in the hallway, but wouldn't your luggage be searched upon return and your lock could still be removed and taken?

Does security carefully go through your bag or do they mess everything up that was neatly packed?

Mine was removed by TSA, too, discarded. It wasn't cruise travel, it was speed skating and an expensive pair of skates were packed, since they couldn't be carry ons. We normally zip tie, have never had an issue, and wouldn't bother with the locks.

Edited by Miss Vickie

We've never lost a TSA approved lock. Son, however, used one we had loaned him cut off and then placed back in his luggage on a trip. He had some cords for video gaming equipment in his luggage, so we think that was why they chose to open it. Don't know why they didn't use a master key rather than cut the lock. :p

As far as luggage at the ports, we've never had one cut. If there were questions, would think a trip to the naughty room would happen if they needed to see inside the luggage.

When I used to pack my electric curling rollers in the checked luggage, every time we opened at our final destination was a form letter from TSA that my luggage was opened, and inspected and we use the travel locks (TSA approved that we bought at Target)

I guess under xray they do kinda sorta look like a bomb.

Nothing was ever missing.

Now that I have moved up in the world to shorter hair and a curling iron does the job to style my hair...........no more letters.

As far as boarding the ship never been to the naughty room and if they did open the bags never knew it..........no note.

Sea Ya

Never had anyone ever go through our luggage, at the Airport or The Cruise Ship.

I have had suitcases opened twice - a note is left saying so. No mess because I use zip lock bags for clothing. However, when opened by master key - a red ring pops up in the locks I bought and it can't be moved to original position so they are no longer useful. Yes, I still use locks - may not be perfect solution but must be better than an open suitcase. Would you leave your car or house open just because a break in might be possible???

I once discovered that a lock had been removed and the zipper tongue damaged on my suitcase when it was delivered to my stateroom.

If you do a google search you will find a number of discussion boards relating to locks and locking luggage. Most posters seem to think that it is a waste of time, since anyone who is determined enough will find a way in. Personally, I think it serves as a deterrent, particularly if luggage is left unattended for any period of time.

We've never lost a TSA approved lock. Son, however, used one we had loaned him cut off and then placed back in his luggage on a trip. He had some cords for video gaming equipment in his luggage, so we think that was why they chose to open it. Don't know why they didn't use a master key rather than cut the lock. :p

Because they are government employees and the master key was probably a 25 foot walk from their current position and they couldn't be bothered to make the walk. (Or they couldn't find it that day)

The TSA is a total and absolute waste of time and money.

We use TSA approved luggage locks for the main case and small twists for outer pockets that never have anything in them. In all our travels there has been only one suitcase opened; it was "lost" on a trip to Switzerland, captured by German Customs when trying to chase us on our river cruise. Thirty days later it showed up when delivered to our home.

The suitcase had been relocked. There was a note inside; they had identified and counted everything - right down to the number and type of each vitamin pill and aspirin! Everything had been repacked carefully (but not as we had done it).

BTW, we take most of the items that might cause the cases to be opened in my backpack carryon - cables, computer gear, cameras. etc. We try hard to not give any reason for a suitcase to be opened.

TSA locks are not REQUIRED at all...but, if you use them, the "officials" are supposed to have a key to unlock them, so they don't need to be cut off.

We use keyed Master Locks....if they ARE cut off, then I KNOW someone has been in my stuff.

And while folks say they don't have anything worth stealing, so they never lock their bags....it's not so much about having stuff TAKEN....as much as the principle of the thing....no one has a right to paw through your stuff...and a lock could prevent someone from putting something INTO your luggage.

Locking your bags is better than not.

I had suitcases being opened by TSA several times (at airports of course, never in a cruise port). Each time there was a note left in the suitcase. Nothing was scattered around. Anyway in most of the cases the lock had disappeared. I don´t think they cut it off - they simply don´t care to put it on again.

Yes, locks do not prevent anyone from theft. We had that too. The lock was still there. But someone opened the zipper propably with a knife. When we got the suitcase back it was wrapped with a string and duct tape. No this did not happen at an US airport.

steamboats

You don't need a luggage lock to keep honest people out of your luggage.

No luggage lock will keep a thief out of it. There are so many keys available for

luggage locks one wonders why bother locking it.

I never bother. If someone wants into my suitcase, they will get in it.

I use zip ties. I like knowing when I collect my luggage if it has been opened. You can't determine this with a lock that someone has a master key to.

We also use zip ties and never put anything worth stealing inside.

If I'm using a bag such as a duffle and I want to secure both zipper pulls, I use odd color zip locks. I will use a purple or orange and sometimes use two. I keep a nail clipper in the front zipper pocket of any bag I'll be using zip lock so I know I can cut them off.

Don't pack jewelry, electronics, cash etc Count on anything you check being lost.

TSA agents have a universal key that works on these locks so there is no need to worry about them being cut off.

I have had my bag randomly pulled for a search more than once( mostly air transportation) and never really noticed any huge disarray. just the piece of paper inside advising it had been randomly selected. there was contact information so I suppose if my bottle of Wen had been confiscated I could apply for compensation.

if you do not place anything suspicious or that could be construed as illegal, there is no need to worry.