Choosing a Cruise from Alaska! Need Help!

twinsaj

I am looking to book a cruise to Alaska at the end of June. My DH and I will be cruising with two other couples. We are all in our 40s. We have narrowed it down to the NCL Pearl, HAL Westerdam or the Crown Princess based on dates and the fact that we are leaving from Seattle. Would love all opinions on those three ships! Thanks in advance for your help.:)

Unlike 'beach' cruises, people choose an alaska cruise based on the itinerary not the ship. Is the ship in port long enough and at the right time of day to accomplish planned activities? ie 7am - 1pm isn't as productive as 9am-5pm

If glacier viewing is a priority, does the itinerary include Glacier Bay?

Did you look at the REVIEW forum, specifically MEMBER REVIEWS of Alaska?

What are you looking for that would make one ship more preferable than another?

Edited by mapleleaves

I suggest you find out about each port and rank your touring preferences. Do you know what each port is known for, made your tour selections? If not, then this is essential. Each Alaska port is very different from the others with unique activities specific for that port.

Although you state "similar" I'm sure there are differences. Routings can be significant- like I have a preference for Snow Pass in the evening.

A difference that may matter is NCL does not have ship naturalists on board- would NOT make any difference with your Glacier Bay sailing, however.

You will have to determine if the ship is important? Are the other travelers leaving the decision to you? A lot involved certainly. :)

To help with your research, borrow from your library or buy .... Ann Vipond's 'Alaska by cruiseship' and Fodors ' Alaska ports of call'. Both books provide info on ports, activities, ships, excursions, diy options, etc

Trip reports are another good resource. They are in STICKYs near the top of the Alaska forum homepage. There are 55-60 for 2014 ... the first line usually indicates the cruiseline, ship, itinerary and date of travel. There are some fantastic photo journals that really help you experience some of the activities and excursions.

(if you decide to look at 2013 reports, start with reply #45 where the reports are sorted by cruiseline/ship)

Skagway is dropped by Westerdam for Sitka, I agree, it would be a lovely option. No rip-off junk and jewellery shops. :)

There is "junk" in Sitka too. :)

I don't place any value on what the shopping may or may not be in each port. I am a firm believer that EACH Alaska port is worthwhile to visit. :)

If you don't want to be bogged down by books - here is a website that takes a look at each AK port town and talks about the history, the tours available, and things you can do on your own - www.cruiseportinsider.com

I also agree that the ship is not as important as the ports and time in them. There is so much more to see and do than shop - although there are lots of those tacky cruise shopping places in all of the ports - the trick is how to avoid them and find the places that feature items made in AK by native craftspeople.

Good Luck with your planning and enjoy your cruise.

Hmm...

• I've never been to Sitka, but Skagway was my fav port. Got to go to the Yukon on the White Pass train. The Red Onion was great too.
  • Do you like cruise photo's? I like HAL's AYCE photo option. I would go broke with Princess's photographers.
  • Have you considered departing from Vancouver? It's another bonus port!
  • According to this link... HAL ships goes deeper into Glacier Bay http://blog.cruiseabout.ca/booking-alaska-cruise/
  • Are you looking only at 7 day return trips? HAL offers a package where you go North to Skagway, then leave the ship for inland tours, and rejoin another ship around Seward to return to Vancouver/Seattle. http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/SpecialOffers.action?destCode=AT

I am looking to book a cruise to Alaska at the end of June. My DH and I will be cruising with two other couples. We are all in our 40s. We have narrowed it down to the NCL Pearl, HAL Westerdam or the Crown Princess based on dates and the fact that we are leaving from Seattle. Would love all opinions on those three ships! Thanks in advance for your help.:)

In Alaska, the cruise selection parameters are in order of importance -

1) Cruise dates

2) Itinerary

3) Port times

4) ship

BTW - personally I do not think that leaving from Seattle is a positive as you waste time getting to the interesting bits which is why you are taking the cruise. Leave from Vancouver or better still do a one way cruise even if ity costs more.

DON

Hmm...

• I've never been to Sitka, but Skagway was my fav port. Got to go to the Yukon on the White Pass train. The Red Onion was great too.
  • Do you like cruise photo's? I like HAL's AYCE photo option. I would go broke with Princess's photographers.
  • Have you considered departing from Vancouver? It's another bonus port!
  • According to this link... HAL ships goes deeper into Glacier Bay http://blog.cruiseabout.ca/booking-alaska-cruise/
  • Are you looking only at 7 day return trips? HAL offers a package where you go North to Skagway, then leave the ship for inland tours, and rejoin another ship around Seward to return to Vancouver/Seattle. http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/SpecialOffers.action?destCode=AT

For clarification- only the Lake Bennett train- which most people do not take, goes into the Yukon. The regular 3.5 round trip does not.

The HAL Glacier Bay comment is what? I have sailed Alaska on HAL 3 times, and ALL went up the Tar Inlet, just like ALL the other cruiselines. The difference is the John Hopkins Inlet. But- that doesn't hold up either because I sailed up there on NCL this year. The claim is also referencing Cruise West- which is completely irrelevant to the "regular" cruise lines, unless you are taking one of the small speciality ships.

The HAL Glacier Bay comment is what? I have sailed Alaska on HAL 3 times, and ALL went up the Tar Inlet, just like ALL the other cruiselines. The difference is the John Hopkins Inlet. But- that doesn't hold up either because I sailed up there on NCL this year. The claim is also referencing Cruise West- which is completely irrelevant to the "regular" cruise lines, unless you are taking one of the small speciality ships.

We went up John Hopkins inlet on our last Princess cruise.

DON

Yes, the Yukon segment is combined with Motorcoach with the train for a day trip...

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ExcursionDetails.action?excursionCode=4557

Yep -And there are also tour choices that do not get into the Yukon, eg.- round trip train, and summit combos train/bus.

XlXO -Seattle seems to be the best option for our group. Although through reading posts I see that it may not be ideal. Meeting up in Vancouver would be much more expensive for all of us. We also cannot take a cruise longer than 7 days because of work constraints.

DonaldSC - I appreciate you putting the criteria in order of importance. I was definitely putting the ship before the itinerary and port times. I have only been on two other cruises and they have both been to the Caribbean. I realize this is very different.

Would love to hear what everyone's favorite excursions are and whether or not you booked it through the cruise line.

XlXO -Seattle seems to be the best option for our group. Although through reading posts I see that it may not be ideal. Meeting up in Vancouver would be much more expensive for all of us. We also cannot take a cruise longer than 7 days because of work constraints.

DonaldSC - I appreciate you putting the criteria in order of importance. I was definitely putting the ship before the itinerary and port times. I have only been on two other cruises and they have both been to the Caribbean. I realize this is very different.

Would love to hear what everyone's favorite excursions are and whether or not you booked it through the cruise line.

Every Alaska cruise will involve compromises. :) There is no "one" cruise that offers everything. :)

As for shore excursions, I decline listing my "favorites". Instead I suggest you take the time and look over a shore excursion list. Look at EACH one and again- rank them according to your interests and what you want out of your Alaska trip. There is a short list of the "usual" tours that are frequently selected because they are so popular. But I will suggest by no means are these the only tours to select. I frequently do find people, who don't know all that is available, so only choose from a narrow list. There is so much more.

I happen to book independent.

Second point I feel strongly about- is to split up. There is no point in dragging someone, who is not interested along. Tours are usually pretty costly in Alaska, and the opportunities are so excellent- to not do touring of interest. I don't compromise on what I want to do, so my selections, many times, are repeats. :) I place no fund limits either. (eg-this summer, I spent $5000+ for 4 days)

Everyone is different- for some, a budget may have to be considered, if so, then I suggest that be determined first.

Edited by Budget Queen

Building on Budget Queen's suggestion about determining a budget.... I am a budget traveler. That said, if there is something I really really really feel the burning desire to do, I find other non-excursion areas that I can cut, in order to do the excursion that is calling to my heart and soul ;)

(e.g., McD's for meals, lower-cost pre-cruise hotel, reduction on onboard spending....)

I feel the best way to save money on Alaskan trips is avoid downtown Vancouver hotels (especially those around the cruise ship terminal for multi-night stays). I really like the YVR Airport hotels for savings and just pay the $35 cab fare. Last summer, I think I saved $200 to $300 a night by staying in Richmond.... beaucoup money for tourist attractions and excursions!

McD is one option... I like the Costco $1.50 polish dogs that comes with a drink.

Depending on how much bevy you consume, look into drink packages.

Think ahead how many pictures you will take and then decide whether you want to get a package. Kinda surprised on Princess there is no photo package like HAL or Disney.

Like you... I'm an excursion junkie. When you have limited time and want to see maximum stuff, have an excursion for part of the day is helpful.

Edited by xlxo

It does seem that there that there are excursions in every budget. The problem is that the ones that seem the most fun are the most expensive ones, of course!! When I book the cruise I look forward to hearing what you have all done in each of the ports!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums