Just another Passport WARNING

Iamthesea

My parents passports expire this coming February 2006 and we cruise this October 2005 with Princess cruise Line. Here on CC, I read about the 6 month rule (passport must be valid for 6 months after ending travel date) and told my parents back in June that they needed to renew their passports ASAP. They went down to the post office and talked to a passport official who told them the rule didn't apply to the Caribbean and they would be fine to wait and renew after the new year.:confused: The rule only applied to going overseas such as Europe.

Fast forward several weeks, and they get their pre boarding documents from Princess which state the 6 month rule for the Caribbean. Back down to the post office with only 7 weeks to spare and talk to the same oblivious passport official, who then decides they are correct. She is also crude and rude. Other friends of my parents have had run-ins with this same official. What a nightmare! :mad:

The good news- Renewals have been sent off and should arrive in 6 weeks or less. If not, they do have their certified birth certificates to use as back-up.:)

So True. My husbands passport did not expired for another 5 months or so when we went on a New Years Cruise. The rule applied. He had to walk the Passport through and received it in 2 weeks.

Hope all is well with the passport

From what I've read, they should be fine to cruise this October, (If you're in the US) as they don't even have to have a valid passport (it can be expired) until the end of the year. If the new rule takes effect, it will take effect in January, 2006. But I think that's still being debated.

I'm cruising this October with an expired Passport (unless mine comes in on time)...and it's fine with them! But for my cruise next year, I'll have to have a valid one. (if the new rule takes effect)

Clear as mud? :rolleyes:

From what I've read, they should be fine to cruise this October, (If you're in the US) as they don't even have to have a valid passport (it can be expired) until the end of the year. If the new rule takes effect, it will take effect in January, 2006. But I think that's still being debated.

From Princess:

Embarkation Check-List

*Passport Valid for 6 months beyond the completion date of your travel.

In addition, my parents called Princess and spoke to a representative. He told them that they have been denying boarding for those with passports that are expiring before the 6 months at the end of their cruise.

It's not a Princess rule, it's an immigration rule (US and other countries) and Princess is simply notifying their passengers of it. You will need to renew your passport before your cruise if your cruise itinerary requires you to have a passport in the first place. With the revised rules that just came out last week, if you're cruising in the Caribbean and embarking the ship in a US port, you should be ok (but you need to verify this since you didn't mention which cruise you're on).

From Princess:

Embarkation Check-List

*Passport Valid for 6 months beyond the completion date of your travel.

In addition, my parents called Princess and spoke to a representative. He told them that they have been denying boarding for those with passports that are expiring before the 6 months at the end of their cruise.

Where do you live? Maybe Princess is different. I'm sailing on Carnival, and they told me (and it's on their website) that if you're sailing before the end of this year, you can still us an expired passport or birth certificate/driver's license.

Are you traveling to Europe or the Caribbean? This is from the Princess Website as well:

"WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE

On Tuesday, April 5, 2005, the U.S. State Department announced details of the proposed "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative." If the proposed rules are enacted, U.S. and Canadian citizens will be required to carry a passport for travel to or from certain countries/areas that were previously exempt. The proposed implementation is as follows:

* December 31, 2005 - Passport required for all air and sea travel to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America.

* December 31, 2006 - Passport required for all air and sea travel to or from Mexico and Canada.

* December 31, 2007 - Passport required for all air, sea and land border crossings."

They do mention the 6 month rule, but that applies to certain countries, not the Caribbean.

We live in the US and are going to the Panama Canal.

This thread is not about whether you need a passport or not...because you don't...yet. You can still travel with your certified birth certificate. However, if you were going to travel with your passport only, then per Princess, your passport needs to be up to date and good for at least 6 months from end of travel.

I am just telling you what is on our pre document paper and what Princess told my Dad. We all know that if someone else calls, they are likely to get a different answer. Perhaps this is something new with Princess. Perhaps they are jumping the gun and have started handing out this paper before it is needed. Who knows! However, my parents are not going to take a chance after being told from two different Princess sources that they need an updated passport now. ;)

PS - I have heard that you are not allowed to fly unless your passport is good for another 6 months. Seems like there was a thread on Cruise Critic a few months ago about a young lady that was denied boarding on a domestic (it may have been international or it may have been her drivers license - Does anyone remember?) flight because it expired in less than 6 months from her return.

phillychick- Thanks! There are several ship signatures on this board.

rhea2day - Can't wait to hear what they tell you. :rolleyes:

I posted on the RCCL board also. I see Eric is posting over there as well. :)

The following comments are from there:

This is Nothing New

and I am quite surprised at how many are afraid to get passports or renew them. This 6 month rule has been in effect after 9/11 so it is nothing new. Read docs from past cruises & WAKE UP to the reality of 2005!

Get a passport & renew every 11.5 months since it take a month to get it back.

Just filled out the pre-registration for NCL and the 6 month rule is in there too. It says it is RECOMMENDED that passports be valid for at least six months after the return date of your trip.

The six-month rule has nothing to do with any of the cruise lines themselves. Certain countries will not allow someone to enter their country if their passport isn't valid for more than six months past their entry date. So, the cruise lines are simply relaying this information. All travelers need to do their research and find out what the requirements are for their specific itinerary.

After this last quote, I am wondering if Princess just puts that blurb in for everyone, just in case they are traveling out of the country. And, they are too cheap to make two different sets of embarkation rules. :rolleyes:

Who knows? I think everyone should have one anyway, but I'm not going to be able to get mine renewed by my Oct. 2 cruise. According to Carnival I can travel on an expired passport this year.

As for the 6 month rule...It has been around for a long time, as I've traveled to Europe several times and always had to make sure it was valid for 6 month beyond my return date.....but I had never heard of that when just going to the Caribbean.

Fast forward several weeks, and they get their pre boarding documents from Princess which state the 6 month rule for the Caribbean. Back down to the post office with only 7 weeks to spare and talk to the same oblivious passport official, who then decides they are correct. She is also crude and rude. Other friends of my parents have had run-ins with this same official. What a nightmare! :mad:

I prefer renewing my passport by mail and not through the Post Office. It certainly eliminates dealing with "crude and rude" officials. Here's the link to the State Department's renewal web page:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/renew/renew_833.html

:rolleyes: That's where the mail goes... through the Post Office. :D

They did fill out the online forms and then went to the PO to see the PP agent.

My point is that you can fill in the forms and mail them to the National Passport Center and not have to face the rude and crude official.

Now if you really and truly dislike the post office ;), here's a blurb from the link I provided above:

5. If you use an overnight delivery service that does not deliver to a post office box, then send it to:

Passport Services - Lockbox

Attn: Passport Supervisor 371971

500 Ross Street, Rm. 154-0670

Pittsburgh, PA 15250-9971

I'm sure FedEx, UPS, etc will appreciate all the business. :rolleyes:

I don't know what the problem is with people not wanting to renew passports! If you like to travel, just bite the bullet and get it renewed sometime in the last year it is good! I mean really, do you still look like that old picture from 10 years ago? Why worry as to whether the cruise line will take the old passport? Just get a new one. Chances are you will use it again sometime in the next 10 years.

My experience is it only takes a trip to the post office and a few weeks of waiting to get a new one. I am lucky, as my postal officials are very nice and helpful.

Be thankful to have a US passport even if it costs you a few bucks. There are others out there who would give most anything for one.

It seems that the official the OP dealt with is like calling the IRS...ask ten employees there and you'll get ten different answers.

I hadn't heard about the 6 months rule. Fortunately I had to get out my daughter's birth certificate a few months ago, looked at her passport and realized her passport is expiring the month of our cruise. We plan to go to the post office within the next two weeks to renew -- since her last one, the rules have changed re a minor's passport. Now both parents and the child have to go together. The good news is our local post office handles the renewals and when I asked about their hours in person, the nice woman I talked to said she's the one who will process our paperwork.

Archived