Long review with lots of photos! Jewel Dec 6/14 and Adventure Dec 14/14!

PC070508.jpg

WOW! Follow the Northstar straight down to top deck. A shorter person in white is directly below. I'm the guy to the left with white shorts pointing my camera through the glass slats hiding half behind the blue panel... I just blew the picture up and can see it.

Thank you for these superb photos. I'll be saving them. I would like to add them to my Quantum review if that's ok with you, and I'll definitely add the link here to your review to give you the credit. Is that ok? Likewise, I have a bunch of excellent shots looking down onto Jewel in my review that you may wish to keep... and you should see yourself in them with your camera pointing up at me :p

Scroll down to post #175, #176 and next page #183 as she pulls away

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2137643&page=9

Edited by Hoopster95

thanks for the review. Do you happen to have cruise compasses for Adventure?

I have the compasses kicking around somewhere...I think they may have already been posted by someone else so I didn't take any pictures of them but if I can't find the other thread I'll have a look for them!

I love your review but would love some pictures of the ship areas for my wallpaper slide show. If you have any, please post!!!

I didn't take a ton of ship photos this time because we've been on the ship before, but I'll have a look through my older albums and see what I can find!

WOW! Follow the Northstar straight down to top deck. A shorter person in white is directly below. I'm the guy to the left with white shorts pointing my camera through the glass slats hiding half behind the blue panel... I just blew the picture up and can see it.

Thank you for these superb photos. I'll be saving them. I would like to add them to my Quantum review if that's ok with you, and I'll definitely add the link here to your review to give you the credit. Is that ok? Likewise, I have a bunch of excellent shots looking down onto Jewel in my review that you may wish to keep... and you should see yourself in them with your camera pointing up at me :p

Scroll down to post #175, #176 and next page #183 as she pulls away

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2137643&page=9

That is so cool! We are the group of four on the right (but in the middle of the photo). Yes, absolutely you can add my photos to your review :) Can't wait to read it, bookmarking now to show the rest of my group later.

That is so cool! We are the group of four on the right (but in the middle of the photo). Yes, absolutely you can add my photos to your review :) Can't wait to read it, bookmarking now to show the rest of my group later.

So you're in the red hat, camera in hand?

I added your photos to my review. Thank you very much. Very cool indeed :D

Thanks for your review with all the amazing photos! We have only 11 months to go before our first trip on the Jewel!

I'm curious about your comment that you do not think you would have broken even. Looks like you sampled a lot from the drink menus (in the name of research, of course, for which we thank you)!

Did you do a final accounting?

Amusingly, I think this is the biggest question in our household: which level of beverage package to get!!!

Nice trip report!

I can sympathize with your boarding experience on Adventure.

I don't know what it is about the Sunday staff for check in, but I consistently experience better service when boarding the Jewel. I have never had a great check in experience with Adventure. I used to think it was US Customs. Maybe it's the RCL staff. :(

Nice trip report!

I can sympathize with your boarding experience on Adventure.

I don't know what it is about the Sunday staff for check in, but I consistently experience better service when boarding the Jewel. I have never had a great check in experience with Adventure. I used to think it was US Customs. Maybe it's the RCL staff. :(

Check-in staff are usually not cruise line employees, they work for a 3rd party contracting company. Maybe the Saturday people are better than the Sunday people?

Edited by clarea

As I'm about to embark on my first cruise, I have been intrigued on CC when people mention bringing a meal back to the cabin from WJ(your bad Mongolian noodles). Can you please tell me is this literally a plate with cutlery or are there take away containers for this?

I'm picturing people wandering the halls and elevators carrying plates?

Thanks.

As I'm about to embark on my first cruise, I have been intrigued on CC when people mention bringing a meal back to the cabin from WJ(your bad Mongolian noodles). Can you please tell me is this literally a plate with cutlery or are there take away containers for this?

Thanks.

I've not seen take-out containers available in Windjammer. I do see people carrying plates of food occasionally, but not all that often.

Thanks.

I've periodically seen people taking the regular WJ plates/cutlery out to the pool deck to eat. Never seen the styrofoam carryout containers, though. I don't believe they offer that, and probably won't.

Thanks for your review with all the amazing photos! We have only 11 months to go before our first trip on the Jewel!

I'm curious about your comment that you do not think you would have broken even. Looks like you sampled a lot from the drink menus (in the name of research, of course, for which we thank you)!

Did you do a final accounting?

Amusingly, I think this is the biggest question in our household: which level of beverage package to get!!!

We didn't do a final count because even when we were given receipts the amounts on them were 0. I don't think I'd break even with the ultimate package again mainly because I wouldn't need to do all of the sampling next time! And I usually had 2 or 3 glasses of Moet which wouldn't be included...I'm sure if I put some effort in I could make it worth it! Haha...I just don't know if I'd want to again. I'd be perfectly happy having a frozen drink every afternoon and a martini of some sort at night. I don't generally drink anything except water with my meals anyway.

Check-in staff are usually not cruise line employees, they work for a 3rd party contracting company. Maybe the Saturday people are better than the Sunday people?

That's what I am thinking - different staff members, maybe they got used to a more hectic day of boarding? They most definitely weren't as friendly as those we met on Saturday (but the only one who was actually unfriendly was the woman checking set sail print outs and directing you into lineups, and I think she was just overwhelmed - but then again, I'm not even sure why she needed to be there...)

Thanks.

There are no take out containers - you can use a second plate to cover your first one (I hear there are trays but we really don't need one with only one plate each). We only had a couple sets of stairs to go down and didn't need to go down the hallways at all - no problems whatsoever.

I've periodically seen people taking the regular WJ plates/cutlery out to the pool deck to eat. Never seen the styrofoam carryout containers, though. I don't believe they offer that, and probably won't.

They have actually set up I'd say over a dozen tables on the pool deck just outside of the Windjammer. They are meant for people who bring their food out and are set with salt and pepper shakers.

Hoopster95, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner! I'm not in the orange hat but I believe that is Ryan's dad. I am the third from the right, if I remember correctly!

Thanks again for the info.

I'm also curious about St. Croix. We'll be travelling with a large family group, and it seems like our options are a bit limited in this port. Could you please tell us more about the fort, and also about the logistics of walking to the beach? Was there much else of interest there?

Thanks again!

This was a great review! I had all but ruled out the "smaller" ships for my upcoming cruises, but now see that they have a charm that newer and larger ships do not possess.

Thank you for sharing your adventure!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Reporting live from Jewel and seeing everything that the OP posted. Thank u again.

As I type we are sitting at Sand Castles on the beach. $6 taxi ride from port. $25 (total for 2 people) gets chairs, umbrella and 2 rum punches with a great view of the Jewel.

Thanks again for the info.

I'm also curious about St. Croix. We'll be travelling with a large family group, and it seems like our options are a bit limited in this port. Could you please tell us more about the fort, and also about the logistics of walking to the beach? Was there much else of interest there?

Thanks again!

We actually didn't check out the fort at all, just walked in front of it to get to the beach. When you get to the end of the cruise pier you leave through a gate and turn left (walking by all of the vendor tents). You'll see the fort straight ahead. The walkway to the beach is along the water in front of it. It is a simple walk and the walkway is easy to follow. I'd say for us it took ten minutes from the ship until we put down our towels on the sand. (It is actually easier than my instructions make it seem!)

I saw a couple of people with stand up paddleboards (but didn't notice where they were rented from) but didn't see jetskis though. With a large family group this would definitely be the cheapest way to do things!

There is another beach that the poster just before me mentioned (WilsonFamilyNRH) which I've heard is good as well, but I've never been.

WilsonFamilyNRH - glad to hear you are having a great time!! Wish we were still onboard!

Jayblue - My first cruise was a 3 night on the Sovereign (smaller than the Jewel) and after that we jumped right to Voyager and Freedom class. I hadn't even considered a smaller ship until the Jewel was in port in my city and I was able to go onboard for a tour. I fell in love with the solarium and knew we'd give her a try at some point. SO glad we did!

There are no take out containers - you can use a second plate to cover your first one (I hear there are trays but we really don't need one with only one plate each). We only had a couple sets of stairs to go down and didn't need to go down the hallways at all - no problems whatsoever.

Thank you, My wife & daughter enjoyed your cocktails pictures and are looking forward to trying some on our trip.

They have actually set up I'd say over a dozen tables on the pool deck just outside of the Windjammer. They are meant for people who bring their food out and are set with salt and pepper shakers.

So there's some limited outdoor seating by the WJ on the Adventure, huh? I didn't know that, but it's good to hear. I'll be looking for it in May when I sail.

So there's some limited outdoor seating by the WJ on the Adventure, huh? I didn't know that, but it's good to hear. I'll be looking for it in May when I sail.

The tables are not adjacent to Windjammer, just on the pool deck forward of Windjammer.

Reporting live from Jewel and seeing everything that the OP posted. Thank u again.

As I type we are sitting at Sand Castles on the beach. $6 taxi ride from port. $25 (total for 2 people) gets chairs, umbrella and 2 rum punches with a great view of the Jewel.

We have nothing planned in St Croix. We love the water. This sounds right up our alley. Any other suggestions for the rest of the trip? We are doing your itinerary Feb. 7-14, 2015.

Thank you,

Gloria

Thank you for such a great review. We are sailing out this weekend--a group of 17 family members. Many have not cruised before and since I am the coordinator hearing the mixed reviews lately I have been a wreck. Ship in bad shape, very worn, food terrible, shows awful, etc. We are just off the Oasis in December which was amazing. I have sailed Adventure but back in 2008. I recommended port out of San Juan since not many have cruised before didn't want seasick issues to ruin anyone's trip. Just felt less likely with this itinerary and time of year. Can you give me contact info on your tours..or do you think it is too late to get in on any of them? We had contacted Shore Excursions via email (only way to contact for Royal Caribbean) early December and they just responded last week and it was too late to book anything. I was a little apprehensive to book outside of the ship..bad enough if you make a decision and effects just you and your spouse or cabin mate...but 15 others it is a little nerve wrecking. We were also going to opt for Giovanni's for the first night--do you think that would be wise. I realize we would likely be at 2+ tables---thank you again for your review and hope you get this to respond before we leave. Our age group is 27-77 and all related--Brothers, sisters, cousins, parents, etc.

I am not trying to butt in, but I just booked three excursions on the RCCL website for my cruise under My Cruise Planner. Of course, my cruise isn't until Feb. 7th. There were at least four different excursions for each island we are stopping at.

Which itinerary are you on? We did the itinerary with St. Maarten last year and used an outside tour service. It was fantastic for a minimal charge. We didn't even pay until we met up with the tour guide.

In Barbados, they took our charge card beforehand for a catamaran day.

We were on the ship last February and the Jewel is a little worn in places, but is still a beautiful ship and not that noticeable. She won't dry dock for sprucing up until next year. I'm sure she will pale in comparison to the Oasis, but I think any other ship except the Allure would.

Your group is going to have fun just being on the water, on this ship, being on vacation, seeing new sights and making new memories with family. Don't stress. I know it's easier said than done because I've been in charge of 15 family and friends on a trip before and I worried more about making sure they had a good time than I did for me.

You need to write a review so I can hear how it went. Have a great time.

Gloria

TexasGal thanks for responding. I am diamond and enjoy cruising. I guess the stress is planning for everyone and never knowing their expectations. I started reading mixed reviews indicating ship wore down, shows and food not great. Just hoping all is on the better side and hoping it meets all their expectations. I do realize that is unrealistic too--hard to make everyone happy. Our Adventure sailing takes us to Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Croix. and St. Maarten. I've been to all but St Croix and as a group we've agreed to just water taxi in St Maarten to the beach/shopping. Any input anyone would have would be appreciated. Again thank you.