Princess Cruise Line Interactive TV?

Oxo

Should Princess Provide Interactive TV to view -  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should Princess Provide Interactive TV to view -

• Yes, Princess should provide Interactive TV.
    • No, Princess should NOT provide Interactive TV.

Maybe I was not specific enough. When I was addressing Interactive TV I was specifically talking about:

1. Seeing your Account

2. Seeing MDR Menus

3. Ability to book Excursions on-line (TV)

4. Booking Specialty Restaurants on-line (TV)

5. Any other thing that would reduce the amount of Paper/time running to Guest Relations, etc.

If you won't use it, what difference does it make to you if it is available for others to use?

Maybe I was not specific enough. ...

If you won't use it, what difference does it make to you if it is available for others to use?

If the wifi and TV are both implemented perfectly, that would be great. But given the trade offs that normally happen with any new development, I'd rather the effort go into the wifi first.

This...:D

However, the paper version of the Princess Patters made a nice souvenir of sorts.

And on my last cruise, I found that I left the Olympus in my stateroom more often and used my iPhone as the primary camera. It made it so much easier to upload pictures straight from there to Flickr without having to download them to my Netbook first.

;)

I like to keep the Patters too as a souvenir. Usually they will have the folds in them as I'll keep one in my little purse that I use on board (with sunscreen, camera, puzzle mag/paperback book) and refer to constantly, but that's okay. I would prefer having the paper version, rather than having to carry around a pricey cell phone and keep turning it on just to see what activities are going on-- not to mention trying to scroll around. If others want it available electronically that's okay, just let the rest of us have our paper versions. Personally I can do without the zillions of papers in our in-box about spa specials and art auctions, but I do try to take those to the recycling bin when I find it.

I have a question about this, and maybe I don't have all the facts straight, so maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.

The photographers on the ship are contracted by the cruise line, are employees of an 'outside company', and don't actually belong to Princess Cruises, so neither would the pictures they take. And as I understand it, the pictures they are taking are also copyright protected.

So maybe they have chosen not to allow their product to be displayed in the privacy of someones stateroom to keep dishonest passengers from 'stealing' by 'taking pictures of the pictures' with their own cameras? With some of these LCD HDTV's and high-end cameras, you could still come out with a pretty decent image that way, and then not buy their product from the photo gallery.

:D

I believe they have this on other cruise lines (Disney? Royal C?) so maybe "photo theft" isn't that much of a concern. I think they even use facial recognition or some other method so that you just view the photos for yourself and your cabin companions. We do try to buy some photos but often we know we can't find all of ours (especially when some people will move photos around and often cover other people's). We might buy even more if the process for finding ours is easier.

Sooner or later the cruise lines will do away with all the paper output. However, I am not suggesting that they put these items on-line and remove paper products. Really, I could do without all the sale papers that we get everyday on the cruise lines. That is a total waste of paper.

As for souvenirs, past that stage of keeping all the dailies, menus, etc. Remember, they use to give out the menus on the last night of the cruise as a souvenir? We also use to receive a booklet instead of e tickets and luggage tags instead of printing them out. We didn't approve of that change at first. LOL

While interactive TVs and the smartphone app might be a convenient option for some, it's not in the "must have" category for me. I do have a smartphone, but it generally goes into the safe when I board. On my last cruise on the Golden, I did download the app and connect to check it out, but I found I really didn't want to carry my smartphone around with me, so into the same it went. I can always look at the menu outside the dining room, and print a copy of my folio at the kiosk.

I'm sure it costs Princess something to develop the interactive TVs/new smartphone app and to debug it and maintain it. I'm also sure they will pass on the extra costs somewhere and I'd much rather they not raise my cruising costs to cover it.

So, for me, the answer would be, no, interactive TVs/smartphone app is not something I need or "demand" (or even suggest on the surveys). Now better internet connectivity during the times I do want to connect would be good, but that's just my preference.

Thanks for all your opinions. With the votes we have currently, it is a BIG win for those who want the options.

I always wonder why those who don't want or use something new, feel that it should not be provided. Just think, if we all never wanted or used change, we would still be thinking what cruising is like, and never use this site.

Hard copy is great, however, it is getting to be a thing of the past. That's why magazines, newspapers, books, etc., are going to electronic form.

Thanks again!

With the votes we have currently, it is a BIG win for those who want the options.

I always wonder why those who don't want or use something new, feel that it should not be provided.

So if your intent was to be so critical of even a single 'no' vote, why bother to include a poll in this discussion in the first place :confused:

As you said, hard copies are becoming dinosaurs. So with the ability to offer these services on a secure individual account through one's personal portable device, why should Princess expend the time and money to install an older, less secure technology on the stateroom TVs?

So if your intent was to be so critical of even a single 'no' vote, why bother to include a poll in this discussion in the first place :confused:

As you said, hard copies are becoming dinosaurs. So with the ability to offer these services on a secure individual account through one's personal portable device, why should Princess expend the time and money to install an older, less secure technology on the stateroom TVs?

Don't know what to say to your comment about me being so critical of even a single 'no' vote.

If it did come across as so, Sorry.

I only tried to explain my position and what I believe is in the future.

Apparently you believe that Princess should not expend the time and money to install an older, less secure technology on the stateroom TV. Been on other cruise lines in 2014 and they already have installed this older and less secure technology.

Sorry to say, that is the way of the future. It continues to move forward as Technology is changing everyday. Smart Phones, Smart TVs, Smart Watches, etc.

Thanks for your opinion and input.