Wifi?

blondie99

We are going on the Liberty and I'm guessing the wifi isn't free. How much is it?

I'm bringing my iPhone and use it for everything including reading, music, movies etc. A friend told me I could still use it by turning off my data, putting it in airplane mode and connecting to wifi.

If I put it in airplane mode and keep data on, could I utilize my internet service through my phone service without getting calls and texts? I'm on Cricket Mobile so I don't know if it even works in the Southern Caribbean.

Thanks!

You are correct. There is wifi on the ship, but it's not free. Carnival just recently just redid their wifi pricing, and you pay depending on what you want to use it for. Someone recently posted it. But maybe they can post it again. I wasn't able to locate the pricing that I was looking for.

As far as putting your phone in airplane mode, you can do that and you will be able to still use your apps such as the iPod for music and other things that do not run on internet like the camera, but unless you buy the internet on the ship you will not have an internet connection. You will have no connectivity to your cricket plan while on the ship so "4G" or "LTE" is not available. The iPhone becomes more or less "wifi only" because theres no cell phone towers in range other than the ship's. AND the ship's is really expensive!!!!

Check your plan, data roaming on a cruise ship has surprised people with thousands of dollars in charges when getting home. Purchase a data plan on the ship, they do have some new ones based on type of usage but I do not remember the costs.

I just turn my data off so I can still get emergency calls and text. My plan allows for incoming text to be free but outgoings have an extra charge. But I can still use my phone for reading, pictures without a fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yup...check with your provider on the cell phone. Text messages many times are not too bad for an occasional check-in, my carrier was $.50ea, but data will be really expensive. I am interested in the new wi-fi rates myself but I haven't found a solid answer.

Edited by ray98

Yup...check with your provider on the cell phone. Text messages many times are not too bad for an occasional check-in, my carrier was $.50ea, but data will be really expensive. I am interested in the new wi-fi rates myself but I haven't found a solid answer.

Just off the Sunshine and the basic rate was $5 a day for checking facebook only I believe. The full access service at a faster speed was $16 a day.