How much deposit

Bilu444

I am booking my first cruise with NCL and trying to get everything in order. I have cruised before, not on NCL. I know its best not to use a debit card for onboard expenses so I am looking to set up a cash account. I have read on this forum that there isnt a required amount to deposit but as I am reading on NCL website, I found this...

A cash deposit may be placed on your account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300/person

Less than 7 days - $150/person

More than 7 days - $450/person

So if I am booking a 9 day cruise for 2, I would have to deposit $900??

I am booking my first cruise with NCL and trying to get everything in order. I have cruised before, not on NCL. I know its best not to use a debit card for onboard expenses so I am looking to set up a cash account. I have read on this forum that there isnt a required amount to deposit but as I am reading on NCL website, I found this...

A cash deposit may be placed on your account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300/person

Less than 7 days - $150/person

More than 7 days - $450/person

So if I am booking a 9 day cruise for 2, I would have to deposit $900??

If this is a direct quote, then it is may be, not must be. As long as you have enough on deposit to cover the DSC (daily service charge) you will be ok. They will shut your card off if you run out of funds on account and you will have to go to the front desk to deposit more.

From my understanding, these minimums are not enforced on the ship.

As long as you put down enough to cover the daily service fee you are good.

If you use up all the cash you put on your account, you will lose charging privileges until you go to guest services and put down more.

If anyone has had a different experience, please post.

Lois

Above is correct, those amounts are not requirements but suggestions. Also when using cash for onboard expenses, I'd suggest prepaying service charges so you can deposit any amount you feel like you will be using while onboard.

Also don't deposit too much (but rather deposit more if you are running out during the cruise), there will be a delay getting the extra money back if there is left over money at the end of the cruise. Some have reported that you could get cash back from Guest Services on embarkation morning (after the accounts are closed) but I wouldn't waste my time queueing there, the queues are horrible because a lot of people are there complaining about items on their bills.

Edited by Demonyte

This is a topic of interest to me, because my brother-in-law and sister-in-law will be cruising with us in August. They're newlyweds, are from Mexico, and don't (at the present) have a Mexican credit card, since it's mostly a cash-based system down there for most folks.

I was under the impression after reading NCL's website that a $300/person deposit was a requirement. Is this not the case? Could they deposit, say, $200, to cover the DSC and a little extra for maybe a drink or two, and get cut off if they hit their limit?

This is great news if it's true. I'm sure this would be preferable for them than carrying $600 in cash.

Yes, sure. In the terminal they just say that they'll be opening a cash account and then after boarding deposit how much they want at Guest Services desk.

Great! They may have to wait in line a while at Guest Services, but it'll be easier for them than hauling lots of cash around.

Thanks!

Yes, they don't handle cash at the terminal.

They had a table set up in the terminal in NYC to take cash payments up until noon. After that you did it onboard.

OP, our friend put down a $152 deposit for a 7 day cruise (we had pre-paid the service charges for her).

They had a table set up in the terminal in NYC to take cash payments up until noon. After that you did it onboard.

OP, our friend put down a $152 deposit for a 7 day cruise (we had pre-paid the service charges for her).

Hmm.. I was actually told "We don't handle cash at the terminal" while standing at the check in desk in the terminal in NYC, before boarding the Gem last Sept. I used my card on the Breakaway, that May. Could it be different for the BA because it has so many more passengers, they feel it would alleviate congestion? Or maybe, because they do not handle it at check in, that's what she meant.

Edited by AEckhardt

Hmm.. I was actually told "We don't handle cash at the terminal" while standing at the check in desk in the terminal in NYC, before boarding the Gem last Sept. I used my card on the Breakaway, that May. Could it be different for the BA because it has so many more passengers, they feel it would alleviate congestion? Or maybe, because they do not handle it at check in, that's what she meant.

It varies, it is not said that they set up the table every time - I don't remember ever seeing one in any port but then again, I haven't been looking for one. :)

Anyways, because it's excistence varies and hours are always limited, I prefer not to tell about it as an advice here - Guest Services desk is there for the whole cruise.