Overnight in port on first night?

tulips*n*truffles

I feel rather silly asking this question - I've searched the threads and can't seem to find the answer so please forgive me if I just didn't use the right combination of search terms!

July 9, we board Island Princess in Venice (hooray!). It departs July 10 at 1pm. So do I take that to mean that once we've boarded, whatever time that ends up being, we can get on and off the ship at will until departure (within reason)? We can come back for meals on the ship, we sleep on the ship the night of the 9th, etc? I feel like such a noob asking, I just haven't had an overnight the night of departure so it's throwing me off a bit!

Thanks for your help!!

Yes, you check in on the 9th and do what you want until sailing time on the 10th. Usually, you will need to be back on 30 minutes before sailing, but check with the ship to be sure. You can get on and off as often as you want.

As far as I know you are correct. You also do not have to eat on board or even sleep on board (although I have no idea why one wouldn't.

I do know that there may be a time when the gangplank is closed late at night, but it does not have to be.

We are doing a Europe/transatlantic next fall and our first port is Rotterdam, where we overnight. That i because many of the excursions go to Amsterdam. I book a tour that does not get back to the ship until 9 pm.

So, there should not be any problem going to and from the ship.

You are correct though they will let you know if there s a time in the wee hours where you cant come and go. Possibly due to customs officials being available etc. i haven't been on a cruise at Venice so dont know about that port specifically.

We have overnighted at tender ports as well where the tender service went down to about one per hour from 1 AM to 5 AM.

Terry

Our upcoming French Polynesia cruise does the same thing to start in Tahiti. We've never started a cruise that way before but having a "floating hotel" adjacent to a new port for a night sounds kind of interesting. Besides, we don't have a choice... :- )

And as with all things cruising we're simply going to look at our cruise glass half full, not half empty.

Enjoy!

Our upcoming French Polynesia cruise does the same thing to start in Tahiti. We've never started a cruise that way before but having a "floating hotel" adjacent to a new port for a night sounds kind of interesting. Besides, we don't have a choice... :- )

And as with all things cruising we're simply going to look at our cruise glass half full, not half empty.

Enjoy!

We had the same expierence in Papeete a few year ago.

I feel rather silly asking this question - I've searched the threads and can't seem to find the answer so please forgive me if I just didn't use the right combination of search terms!

July 9, we board Island Princess in Venice (hooray!). It departs July 10 at 1pm. So do I take that to mean that once we've boarded, whatever time that ends up being, we can get on and off the ship at will until departure (within reason)? We can come back for meals on the ship, we sleep on the ship the night of the 9th, etc? I feel like such a noob asking, I just haven't had an overnight the night of departure so it's throwing me off a bit!

Thanks for your help!!

Have done this 3 times in Venice.

No restrictions. Gangway open all night. Once you check in and board then you can leave the ship at any time.

The shuttle that is run by the ship going to St. Mark's square do shut down around midnight.

Also you have to be on board for the muster drill. This will be about an hour prior to sailing.

Have a great cruise and enjoy the ride down the canal.

We did stay overnight in Venice on the ship and went sight seeing etc. Took a

gondola ride and everything. Your going to love Venice it's absolutely beautiful.

No cars on the island and it was nice not worrying about getting back to the

ship on time. Have a wonderful trip.

IMO, the 1st night overnighting in port in beautiful Venice is a huge bonus. I've done it twice so far, both with Princess.

On the first cruise, I stayed in a hotel IN Venice the night before boarding and got in some walking sightseeing with friends that day.

The morning after boarding I did a Princess excursion so I could tour the Doges Palace and St Marks basilica, both of which were awesome and so worth seeing.

We sailed about 4PM in drizzly weather, but there were lots of us who spent the entire slow sail down the Guidecca waterway to the Adriatic outside on the top deck enjoying the views of the city. We were serenaded by Andrea Bocelli piped over the ship's intercom system much of the time, with him singing "Time to Say Goodbye" as we passed St Mark's Square. That was goosebump inducing!!

Just thinking about it makes me want to do it again!!