Just completed my 9th cruise... Carnival Pride

Just wanted to post some thoughts about the Pride cruise that I just got off of 2 days ago...

Boarding the ship was quick and painless. Hardly no waiting. We had a balcony room 6150

The salmon on the everyday dinner menu was quite excellent. Surprisingly good. I don't think I have ever had this good of a meal on a cruise. The prime rib was excellent as well. Can't go wrong with either one of those. The lobster tail was "cruise ship average". The filet was a little tough but still good.

The coffee was the worst tasting, bitter, sour garbage I have ever drank in my life. (I am not exaggerating) I thought I got a bad cup so I tried other coffee machines around the ship and it was all very vile. I tried it every day in hopes that it would get better, but it was undrinkable. I had to spend $2.25 for a double espresso every morning but it was worth it. Next time I am float on Carnival, I will bring Folgers crystals (and I dislike instant coffee)... Sad but true.

Guy's burgers were good but the Taco bar was most excellent. Loved the pork, chicken and fish tacos. I think I ate them every day. The pizza place was very good too.

The shows on the ship were average at best. There were 2 singers that really stood out however, one blonde male with longish hair, and one blonde female that had short hair.

I am usually pretty tolerant of the cold, but the piano bar was so cold, I had to leave after 5 minutes. The same can be said of the art studio. All other places were on the chilly side but tolerable. (bring a light pullover)

The service in the dining room for dinner was hit or miss (we did anytime dining) It really depended on who we got for a waiter.

The food for breakfast in the dining room was average also. Aside from the sharp bone I bit into in my ham and cheese omelet that is...

The ship was clean and the 2.0 upgrades were nice. The cabins were dated and still had old 19" CRT tvs in the staterooms but still comfortable.

I was surprised that that they did not put free samples of "stuff" in the bathroom like past cruises. Did they stop doing this?

Avoid the Invicta watch scam. They tell you 75% off and what a great deal it is because the regular price is $895, but you can have it for $150. I can get the same piece of junk watch on Overstock.com for $105 every day. No deals here. If you want a deal, take up smoking or drinking and buy some duty free cigs and alcohol. :)

The hot tubs were unusable due to the fact that they were always full of small children with snorkel masks. I like kids, but sitting in a hot tub with 8 small children is kinda gross.

The serenity area was always full in the daytime on sea days. Too bad it wasn't a bit bigger. Also, chairs were 100% full on sea days also.

Costa Maya - Loved the old school undeveloped feel. We sat at the beach with a table and chairs and drank 9 Coronas for $9 at a place called Lobster something or other... Many people complained about it, but we loved it.

Belize - Almost missed the boat because it was a tendered port and I wanted to zip line and cave tubing. It was half the price of the Carnival sponsored tour, but since we got off so late (group 8), we almost missed the boat. It was cool zip lining through the rainforest. Highly recommended.

Roatan - I foolishly paid $60 for a RT cab ride to sit at the beach at West Bay, and paid another $20 for chairs and another $15 for a tip. $100 to sit on the beach??? What the heck was I thinking? Next time I will stay at mahogany bay.

Grand Cayman - $3 pp via cab to 7 mile beach. Great beach, but the water is very deep only a few feet from the shoreline. You could technically walk to 7 mile beach from the port also. We walked back to the boat and stopped at Smoothie King on the way back.... yum...

All in all, everything was pretty average. If I could change anything, I would fire the person in charge of bringing that horrible rancid garbage they call coffee on board.

Would I take the same cruise? Sure... it was nothing special, but for the price, it was a fair deal.

A word to the wise, if you are a coffee lover, be ready to pay for it, or somehow figure out how to bring your own. Also, bring some warm clothes.

The coffee was the worst tasting, bitter, sour garbage I have ever drank in my life. (I am not exaggerating) I thought I got a bad cup so I tried other coffee machines around the ship and it was all very vile. I tried it every day in hopes that it would get better, but it was undrinkable. I had to spend $2.25 for a double espresso every morning but it was worth it. Next time I am float on Carnival, I will bring Folgers crystals (and I dislike instant coffee)... Sad but true....

...This is how they encourage you pay for it at the coffee bar!

Congrats on your 9th cruise. Don't let the coffee thing discourage you from taking your 10th cruise. Oh, and we like Costa Maya as well. Bon Voyage!

Edited by forwardcabin

The shows on the ship were average at best. There were 2 singers that really stood out however, one blonde male with longish hair, and one blonde female that had short hair.

Yep.... they should have used those two more. They were awesome in the songs they sang!!!!!

Where/on what decks are there options to purchase real coffee?

promenade deck 2. outside the ea sports bar and red frog pub next to the stairs with the water around them:D been on the pride 3 times and have a 4th trip planned on march 29. i have bought many cups of coffee there.

Just wanted to post some thoughts about the Pride cruise that I just got off of 2 days ago...

The coffee was the worst tasting, bitter, sour garbage I have ever drank in my life. (I am not exaggerating) I thought I got a bad cup so I tried other coffee machines around the ship and it was all very vile. I tried it every day in hopes that it would get better, but it was undrinkable. I had to spend $2.25 for a double espresso every morning but it was worth it. Next time I am float on Carnival, I will bring Folgers crystals (and I dislike instant coffee)... Sad but true.

Guy's burgers were good but the Taco bar was most excellent. Loved the pork, chicken and fish tacos. I think I ate them every day. The pizza place was very good too.

I don't know what kind of coffee you usually drink but I consider myself to be somewhat of a "coffee snob", and I don't mean that I drink Starbucks and other chain places. I like to purchase fresh beans, grind them, and brew them fresh. Having said that I must say that the coffee on the Pride (Lido deck, room service and MDR) was some of the best coffee I've had on a cruise ship. That's just my opinion. I have to agree with the poster though, Guy's and The Blue Iguana were absolutely awesome!

hmmm... Good coffee?? This is great news. I wonder if they changed the coffee for some reason the week I cruised? I have taken many cruises and never had an issue with the coffee. I asked several people on the cruise also what they thought and everyone I asked had a negative opinion of the coffee. I love good coffee, and my gf even more so than me. (She drinks approx 6-8 cups a day) I enjoy anything from 8 o'clock coffee, to McDonalds, to Dunkin Donuts coffee and even the coffee they serve for free in my office. Thanks for the "coffee review" :) I hope next time, I can drink it.

Thanks for the info. We have reserved cave tubing and zip lining in Belize with Vialino also due to it being half price. Did we make a mistake? We are bringing our 13 yo DS with us and missing the ship would be a big thing.

Can you give the website for the vialano excursion? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Sorry, I don't mean to turn this into a coffee review, but I have found the room service coffee to be much better than the Lido coffee. That is just dirty dishwater. Awful!

The room service coffee will give me my fix and then I can go the cafe after breakfast if I still feel the need for more caffeine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app