I need ideas for a skirt.

tarheelmjfan

I purchased an aqua colored top (silk, lined) with white beads for my Nov. Caribbean cruise. Now, I'm wondering where I'll ever find a skirt to go with it this time of year. Guess I should have thought of that, prior to purchasing the top. :o I'm planning to wear it for an informal night, & need a skirt to wear with it. I prefer skirts over pants. I have a long, white linen skirt, but think it's too casual. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

Hi:) I was thinking the same thing....a black skirt would look good with aqua!

Take the top with you and see what type of material would look good with it

as well!

I was imagining something longer than knee length....but for dressy I like my skirts longer.

Thanks for the suggestions. :) I have a couple black skirts. One is mid-calf. The other is long & I wear it with my other beaded top. I was thinking a white skirt, because the beads are white. There's no other colors. I like my dressier skirts long too. I don't tan well, & I hate hose. :o I hate going shopping, but may have to break down, take the shirt & go in search of. Although, I think I'd have to get really lucky to find the right, white skirt in the stores now. wizard.gif When it gets here, I'll try it with my black skirt & see what I think.

Here's the only picture I have of the shirt:54182048886464.jpg

I ordered it from ebay. I figure if I don't like it, I'm not out than much. :)

The picture didn't turn out too great on here, but hopefully it will give you an idea of what it looks like. Now that I'm looking at the pic. again, I think it may be more of a royal blue. Guess it will be a surprise, when it gets here. :p This was one of those last minute, impulse buys. :D

I don't know what your coloring is (hair color, skin tone), but this year the big color combo seems to be aqua and dark brown. Sounds strange together, but the right shades look nice. I saw this combo in a decorator's showhouse (pillows, rug, even the pictures on the wall). Then I started seeing that combo in clothes as the summer started. It could be a fall combo just as well.

I would go with black personally, but if you go to bloomingdales.com in the summer catalogs you may find something white and long as they still have summer stuff on sale.

NeimanMarcus.com also may have some stuff on sale. I find that the net very often has more stuff left than the "actual store", not that I can get to the actual store anymore :(

I love that top! I clikced on the picture and it sent me to the ebay site... I agree with the Neiman marcus advice, but I don't know how much you want to spend. Also, seeing as it's more of a royal blue, rather than aqua I'd avoid brown! I think white would look best because of the beading... it will also look more "caribbean-esque". Good luck in your search, and have a great cruise! :D

I love that top! I clikced on the picture and it sent me to the ebay site... I agree with the Neiman marcus advice, but I don't know how much you want to spend. Also, seeing as it's more of a royal blue, rather than aqua I'd avoid brown! I think white would look best because of the beading... it will also look more "caribbean-esque". Good luck in your search, and have a great cruise! :D

If it was me, I'd want white also for the Caribbean. I don't think anything else would be as stunning. Here's the big picture I found when I clicked on yours.

91_1_b.JPG

I am always careful mixing shades of white, as I am with shades of black, If the beads are true white, I would not pair it with winter white as I think the contrast would be too great.

But I would pair it with black either as I don't feel it will really complement the colors.

I am going shopping today and will keep it in my mind; I think this is a tough one! And I also think it looks royal blue, not teal. Is that just the photo.

Hi:)

I agree with Kim, it looks more Royal blue to me. I was thinking very light blue when you said aqua. And Teal is a color on its own:eek: some teals are "greenish" and other teals are "blueish"......so I would take the top with you and definitely hold it up against the color of the bottom you are choosing.

I do think black would go beautifully..but that is just my opinion;)

ArmchairTravelWoman,

How did you get that picture to come up? I never saw a pic. that big on ebay. The one I posted was the only one I saw. As you can tell, I'm new to ebay. I just started looking there, when everyone on this board kept saying, "try ebay". :D I finally listened & got a great deal! :p Now, I'm going to have to fight the temptation to order all kinds of stuff I don't need or doesn't fit, just because it's so cheap. :eek:

Caviargal,

Thanks for looking in the stores for me. :)

Okay, I'll admit it. I have no idea why I thought the top looked aqua. :o It's definitely more of a royal blue.

I'll check the suggested websites. I don't mind paying more for a nice skirt. Although, I am trying to keep the shopping to a minimum, since we bought all new clothes for Alaska in June. I'm hoping most of those clothes will be okay for the Caribbean in Nov.

Thanks for all the suggestions & compliments on the top.

I have to agree with Lois, if the beeds are true white I would not do winter white, egg shell or ecru.

I would not try to match the blue either.

Personally what I see this top with is a nice pair of white silk/georgette/crepe evening pants.

good luck and happy shopping

Try http://www.newport-news.com

I just got their fall catalog and they have some beautiful skirts of all sorts there. I think a trumpet or slightly A-line skirt would look great, maybe in ankle length would look great with that beatiful top. Maybe even an asymmenrical skirt (http://www.newport-news.com/shop/Product.asp?gpcatID=2&pacatID=1649&subcatID=1704&catid=1706&superstyleID=202750&productindex=32&firstpagetypeid=&pageindex=0 ). I'd definitely put it with a black skirt or maybe even silver (http://www.newport-news.com/shop/Product.asp?gpcatID=2&pacatID=1649&subcatID=1704&catid=2480&superstyleID=193918&productindex=3&firstpagetypeid=&pageindex=0 ), maybe something in crepe or they had some skirts that had 2 thin layers with a thicker layer underneath and something light over the top. I know others might protest, but velvet might work too. It would be the right time of year. Anyway, try Newport News, they have a lot of summer stuff on clearance and all the new fall stuff is on sale too. Great stuff there. I agree with getting a skirt that you can dress up or dress down.

Now for the shoes....? LOL

After seeing the picture and then learning your coloring, I'd opt for white. Brown would go with Aqua, but this looks almost royal blue. Some computers don't show colors right. When we had our first computer something would show up one shade, but really be another. I'd also wear this top with a pair of dress black pants and black heels. You could do so much with it. Gray or silver pants work too. Also grayish silver skirt.

The description of the top also says Royal Blue, but I think to be safest, if you have time, wait for it to arrive then take it shopping with you.

I agree with those that say a pair of white or off-white palazzo or fly-away pants would look nice with this style.

Black might be alright, too, but I tend to go for bringing a color in from the other piece, so to try to match the white beads would be the way I'd go if it were mine.

Good luck!

<ArmchairTravelWoman,

How did you get that picture to come up? I never saw a pic. that big on ebay. The one I posted was the only one I saw. As you can tell, I'm new to ebay.>

Hi Tammy, that picture was all the way at the bottom of the page, I scrolled way down! Kind of unusual for it to be "hidden" that way, but there it was. By the way, I like the white "cigarette pants" idea too! I'd sure take the top with me when looking as someone mentioned the whiteness of the beading is going to make a difference. Lovely top!

Archived