Anyone else aware of the new Real ID's for air travel?

firefightermom007

AZ was so worried about the Real ID law, that they passed a state law making it illegal to ever conform to Real ID standards. I have a Global Entry card, so I'm not terribly worried.

AZ was so worried about the Real ID law, that they passed a state law making it illegal to ever conform to Real ID standards. I have a Global Entry card, so I'm not terribly worried.

Wow. As I understand it the REAL ID act requires states to meet minimum security enhancements on the licenses issued, minimum security measures to be enacted in the facilities that make licenses, and ensuring that the person getting the license has legal presence in the US (which one would think AZ would be all for).

Utah did the same thing. It was supposed to make sure that those pesky undocumented workers could not get a license. But, in their zeal to do it, the Legislature made their own requirements to get a license and they ended up WITH THE REAL ID requirements!!! But, they won't put the "Real ID" stamp on the licenses, just to keep their distain for any Federal rules intact :roll eyes:

We have some whackos that make the Tea Partiers seem like liberals...

When we renewed the kids passports, we got them passport cards as well. They can always use those. DS also has his CAC card. DH and I will get passport cards the next time we renew, in about 2017.

I don't think anyone has to panic. Just the Federal Government infringing on States rights.

The road to compliance and enforcement has been a long one, with frequent postponements. The original three-year rollout of the program was postponed several times, and as of December 31, 2013, only 21 states were in full compliance

Classic battle.. One of the key requirements for a Real ID compliant document was proof of the applicant’s lawful immigration status in the United States as well as standards for what electronic information is on the card.

The imposition of federal requirements for issuance of state-issued documents created a classic clash of federal/states rights on both constitutional and political grounds. Immigrant advocate groups fought the measure on the grounds that it violates civil liberties and privacy. States were concerned that the act would lead to an increase in unlicensed and uninsured drivers, thereby creating a threat to public safety.

Passport Card is cheaper, I have both since I cross the land border between NYS and Canada frequently and card in wallet is easier then the book in back pocket. Never paid extra money to NYS for an "enhanced license" which requires a visit to DMV to get instead of renewing from home.

FWIW

I don't think anyone has to panic. Just the Federal Government infringing on States rights.

The road to compliance and enforcement has been a long one, with frequent postponements. The original three-year rollout of the program was postponed several times, and as of December 31, 2013, only 21 states were in full compliance

Classic battle.. One of the key requirements for a Real ID compliant document was proof of the applicant’s lawful immigration status in the United States as well as standards for what electronic information is on the card.

The imposition of federal requirements for issuance of state-issued documents created a classic clash of federal/states rights on both constitutional and political grounds. Immigrant advocate groups fought the measure on the grounds that it violates civil liberties and privacy. States were concerned that the act would lead to an increase in unlicensed and uninsured drivers, thereby creating a threat to public safety.

Passport Card is cheaper, I have both since I cross the land border between NYS and Canada frequently and card in wallet is easier then the book in back pocket. Never paid extra money to NYS for an "enhanced license" which requires a visit to DMV to get instead of renewing from home.

FWIW

On this side of the lake they made/make everyone come into DMV in person to renew in order to comply with the REAL ID act (so if your license wasn't compliant you had to bring your birth certificate in the first time your renewed it). We decided on the EDL's to prevent having to carry something else in our wallets, since we carry our licenses all of the time anyway.