Serenade of the Seas January 3, 2015 **FAMILY EDITION ~ PHOTO REVIEW**

Great review. Thanks for posting. Loved the photos.

We often travel with our children. Even though we only have 3, I still enjoy reading the perspective of others who travel with their family. I am glad you had a good trip.

Happy sailing

We did enjoy ourselves! Glad you did as well. We always travel as a family, with the exception of our first cruise. Cruising with such a large group is very expensive so our next vacation will most likely be on land. I'll be keeping an eye out for good deals though.

DH and I would like to sail Alaska - that will probably be without the kido mostly because of needing airfare.

I have been reading a lot of reviews in preparation of our cruise on Indy October 2015. I loved your review! I am also Mom to many. I will be taking three of my girls on the Indy cruise as a surprise! My hubby does not fly and isn't so sure he is interested in a cruise yet. I am sure we will have an amazing time!

Thank you for taking us along on your journey!

Oh I hope you and your girls will have a wonderful time together!

Thank you so much for this great review. It has helped me pass the time as I wait to board Serenade in a few weeks. It looks like you have a wonderful family.

Thanks! Enjoy your trip on Serenade!

Thanks for the great review. We will be on the Serenade very soon and you definitely showed some things I personally had not seen before.

I was showing it to my wife last night and pointing out how you were the first one ever (that I have seen) to show the route for entering the port and getting to the parking with that map you marked up. Although we ended up reserving and paying for the Fulton Place parking it is still very useful. I was also showing her all the pictures from the beginning (Christmas lists), middle (mini-golf/cornhole tournament), and the final thoughts.

However, at the very end of the review something just didn't feel right. :confused:

It felt as if something was missing. :confused:

I thought on it for hours on end and finally I figured out what it was.

That Lasagna Recipe we never got :D:D:D

So in the spirit of completeness ... :)

I'm happy you enjoyed the review. I was so confused about how to drop off the luggage and get into that lot and was unable to find any solid info on CC about it. Now, however, I don't recommend the lot anyway. I think you made a good choice with Fulton.

I'm so sorry you contemplated for hours over the recipe. You must really like lasagna. : )

Thanks for sharing your trip! I had so much fun reading along and found a lot of similarities our both our trips with our tribes! ;) Especially having a baby on the lap during part of dinner in the MDR. :P I'm so glad you all had a great time & that the kids loved it! (now I need to go get the rest of my trip blogged! SO many photos to go to it's taking me forever lol)

Thanks for sharing your trip! I had so much fun reading along and found a lot of similarities our both our trips with our tribes! ;) Especially having a baby on the lap during part of dinner in the MDR. :P I'm so glad you all had a great time & that the kids loved it! (now I need to go get the rest of my trip blogged! SO many photos to go to it's taking me forever lol)

Definitely had her on my lap :) I felt bad for the crew who tried so hard to entertain her but she wouldn't even smile. They wanted to help me put her in the high chair too but she just didn't love all the attention.

I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of your trip on your blog too. Going through the photos takes so much time, but so fun to relive everything! And I will email you back also! :)

I'm happy you enjoyed the review. I was so confused about how to drop off the luggage and get into that lot and was unable to find any solid info on CC about it. Now, however, I don't recommend the lot anyway. I think you made a good choice with Fulton.

We moved to a hotel 1 block from Fulton Place as well so we can make use of the parking for the night before as well.

You did the community here a solid with your map and photos. :)

I'm so sorry you contemplated for hours over the recipe. You must really like lasagna. : )

"like" may not be a strong enough word. If the only two foods on the planet were pizza and lasagna I would not have an issue with that.

The thing is that you really sold us on the idea of your lasagna by stating any other lasagna was going to be a let down. Lasagna like that ... we need to try. :)

However, it sounds like the rest of are going to go the rest of our lives without experiencing it. :(:(:(

I know you mentioned your didn't park at Fulton because of your oversize van. We parked there in Dec 2013 and had a luggage carrier on top of our minivan. It wouldn't make the clearance but I had ready prepaid so they let us park in an outside lot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know you mentioned your didn't park at Fulton because of your oversize van. We parked there in Dec 2013 and had a luggage carrier on top of our minivan. It wouldn't make the clearance but I had ready prepaid so they let us park in an outside lot.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That sounds interesting. If we cruise again from NOLA with the kids I will have to look into that. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I love all the information you provided!! I have 2 questions:

1. How do you get from the whale parking lot to the terminal? We're saying at the Marriott right across the street from the convention center and kind of katy-corner to the whale parking lot. We're think we just walk up Julia street to the terminal. A lot of people say you have to go around the convention center. Is it an easy walk? Stairs?

2. Did you ever get all your water? RCI says you can't bring water on, but we really want to.

Thanks.

I can't figure out how to edit my reply, so I'll just re-post it already edited.

1. How do you get from the whale parking lot to the terminal? We're staying at the Marriott right across the street from the convention center and kind of katy-corner to the whale parking lot. We're thinking we just walk up Julia street to the terminal. Is that true? A lot of people say you have to go around the convention center. Is it an easy walk? Stairs?

2. Did you ever get all your water? RCI says you can't bring water on, but we really want to.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for writing such a wonderful review. Loved the story and the pictures! Great job! Glad your family had such a wonderful time. I will be on the Serenade in just over a year and am really looking forward to it! Oh,...and maybe your can share that lasagna recipe here for NightOne's sake?! :D

I can't figure out how to edit my reply, so I'll just re-post it already edited.

1. How do you get from the whale parking lot to the terminal? We're staying at the Marriott right across the street from the convention center and kind of katy-corner to the whale parking lot. We're thinking we just walk up Julia street to the terminal. Is that true? A lot of people say you have to go around the convention center. Is it an easy walk? Stairs?

Thanks.

I am SO sorry I am just seeing this today! I hope I'm not too late getting back to you.

After parking in the whale lot we just walked to the corner of the lot toward the port building. There are doors in the fence to go through. No stairs at all. It was a bit tricky navigating over the streetcar tracks with the kids and watching traffic that morning, but there are people there to assist with crossing the street. You should be able to head up Julia street easy. No problem.

We absolutely got all of our water! It took a while but it did arrive. I have heard that they won't take water during Spring Break but we had no issues. Just tape a luggage tag securely to the top.

Enjoy your trip (if you haven't already :) )

• 5 months later...
Thank you for your kind words! I like a larger font too :D

Hi,

I know it's been a while since your cruise on the Serenade. I enjoyed your review. I am cruising on the Serenade next April, and my sister (who is cruising on the Serenade also) linked me to your review. We grew up in a large family also, and still carry the memories of our vacations. As they say, "priceless".

Thanks for your review. It was very informative, and humorous. I might even try that rock wall, which I never did before, thanks to you.

Hi,

I know it's been a while since your cruise on the Serenade. I enjoyed your review. I am cruising on the Serenade next April, and my sister (who is cruising on the Serenade also) linked me to your review. We grew up in a large family also, and still carry the memories of our vacations. As they say, "priceless".

Thanks for your review. It was very informative, and humorous. I might even try that rock wall, which I never did before, thanks to you.

FMB!! Thanks so much for your sweet words! I'm so glad you guys found my review and hope it helps you get ready and more excited for your trip! We loved the Serenade! I'm glad you still remember your family trips and I hope my kids will too. It has been awhile, but they talk about it almost weekly still. "Remember when . . . " They had a blast! :)

PS - You better try that rock wall :)!! If you don't you may just regret it! Also, don't wait until the last day because sometimes it's closed because of wind - so get out there and do it the first chance you get! If you make it to the top and ring the bell, I'll share my lasagna recipe!! ;)

Edited by lemonade-sails
To bribe/encourage you to climb that wall!

• 2 years later...

I thought on it for hours on end and finally I figured out what it was.

That Lasagna Recipe we never got :D:D:D

So in the spirit of completeness ... :)

NightOne - and everyone else,

I can't believe it's been three years since we took this trip with the kids and I started this review. I just came back to CC as we are taking another trip this May (without the kids - who are crushed - except for the newest edition, #9, who knows nothing of cruises) and I ran across this thread.

I really have loved reading our account again and all of the details that I forgot about our fantastic family vacation on the Serenade.

If you've been on the fence about writing a review - I highly recommend it. Sure, it takes time, but it can help so many people and refresh your own memory even years later.

Now on to why I'm reviving this thread - I never did hear back from FMB about whether or not she made it to the top of the rock wall . . .

But, in the spirit of nostalgia and brotherhood of lasagna lovers everywhere - I share with you my recipe. I hope it was worth the wait.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xn3QGaWhY3lubPbx90JLNRRX93D0-90snayrBaGiqZA/edit?usp=sharing

Use it wisely and in moderation. ;)

And let me know if you make it and love it as much as we do. And if you don't love it, we can still be friends - we just won't mention it ever again. :D

NightOne - and everyone else,

But, in the spirit of nostalgia and brotherhood of lasagna lovers everywhere - I share with you my recipe. I hope it was worth the wait.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xn3QGaWhY3lubPbx90JLNRRX93D0-90snayrBaGiqZA/edit?usp=sharing

Use it wisely and in moderation. ;)

And let me know if you make it and love it as much as we do. And if you don't love it, we can still be friends - we just won't mention it ever again. :D

YES, YES, YES!

The years of waiting really flew by fast and now we finally have the lasagna recipe!!!

THANK YOU!!!

I also just discovered this review. Wonderfully written! I read it all tonight, and to find the lasagna recipe at the end was a treat! Hope you have many more wonderful family adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This review was absolutely wonderful to read because I enjoyed how strong family came through. Since we started cruising in 2009, my children have always been with us. Now as the years have gone by out of 3 of our kids, only one will be with us. I miss those years so much now. The memories are priceless and it was so beautiful reading about your family. Wishing you a wonderful upcoming trip. Is it a cruise or did I miss that?

Barbara

A wonderful review and a wonderful family! A true Blessing to have 9 children. Keep traveling and keep reviewing. Hope you have many more family vacations. I love traveling with my kids. All the best to you

Thank you for the kind words! We love traveling with the kids too - nothing like adventures you can share together!

I also just discovered this review. Wonderfully written! I read it all tonight, and to find the lasagna recipe at the end was a treat! Hope you have many more wonderful family adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, Glad you liked it! Hope you love the lasagna!