problems with Prinsendam

SeaBands

I have booked along with my wife PolarBearMom a 14 day cruise just to see what all the fuss and muss is about.
Just don't set your expectations too high, as we did. I see that you have been on the Maasdam. Think "small Maasdam" with a few unique touches. Edited by jtl513

What I find incongruous is the premium fare on this ship and statements by people who have cruised on the ship to not set your expectations too high,expect the same level of food, service, etc on this ship as you do on any other HAL ship, or it is an old ship with character ( just like so called fixer upper that a real estate agent thought that we should look at).

If we are paying premium rates we want a premium ship, premium service, premium food, etc. Not interested in a floating maritime museum when the rest is very much run of the mill so to speak.

I view the word "premium" as it relates to Prinsendam fares very differently; to me it's not a premium so much for content but for added cost to cover the additional expenses inherent in operating a smaller ship with a higher crew-to-passenger ratio on itineraries, many of which are more costly to operate. Yes, it's a very elegant small ship with great service and itineraries but overall, excepting these, I don't find it substantially "premium" compared to other HAL experiences. The "premium" you pay is to offset higher operating expenses.

That said, I love the Prinsendam and hope to sail here yet again before she's retired - which is something I'm told HAL management wants desperately to do in order to get the better profits from larger ships. Their problem with retiring it is that's it's often booked far in advance and far more fully that the rest of the fleet and in my opinion, deservedly so.

Edited by Dave in NJ

What I find incongruous is the premium fare on this ship and statements by people who have cruised on the ship to not set your expectations too high,expect the same level of food, service, etc on this ship as you do on any other HAL ship, ....

Yet many of us have found the Prinsendam to have higher quality food and service than the other HAL ships, and have posted as such many times.

I'm avoiding the controversay but just wanted to correct an error by Rotterdam; Prinsendam was NOT a Seabourn design, she was designed for Royal Viking Line and entered service as the Royal Viking Sun - it was some years later that she sailed for Seabourn. If memory serves she was built by Wartsila in Finland.

Right you are Dave. If you had ever sailed Royal Viking, which I have, you've experienced luxury. The elevators on the Prinsendam are unique. And, as Kazu explained so clearly, it sometimes takes time to get replacements parts for mechanical elements on board or have them custom made. I understand that some passengers might not have the interest in or patience with an older ship. But those passengers should understand that some of us do. It's the difference between someone who appreciates a classic Bugatti vs. someone who wants the newest Tesla. There's room in this world for both. For myself, I really disliked the upper master dining room on the Noordam. The lineup of 8-seat tables by the windows as you enter the dining room on starboard side reminded me of a college or military base dining hall! I thought the decor throughout the ship was garish. But I wouldn't make an issue of those things that matter to me, but maybe not to others. To each his/her own.

In the end, isn't it really a "caveat emptor" (buyer beware) situation?

If one is going to outlay a fair amount of money on a vacation, one should put in enough time researching the product to get a good understanding of whether or not that product is right for them.

To use the car analogy again, one can read reviews that may or may not be objective, but through those one gets a good understanding of the great, the good, the not-so-good and the bad. As someone pointed out upstream, a lot of the CC reviews of Prinsendam aren't fabulous. On the other hand, I know what appeals to me is not necessarily what appeals to the "average" (not meant in a pejorative way) cruiser -- which tends to be NEW, BIG, SHINY, etc.

I also think some people are confusing the use of "premium" to describe an upscale line versus the use of "premium" to mean that one pays an amount higher than the usual for some reason or another. That reason, in the case of smaller ships, usually has less to do with it being a "premium" line and more to do with having fewer passengers to spread the fixed costs of operation among.

I haven't sailed on Prinsendam but would like to do so in the near future. I suspect that many of the things folks like about her are not simply a function of being "better" or more elegant, but of being "smaller". Small ships (and I have been on several others smaller than Prinsendam) by their nature allow for more personalized service because others recognize you and quickly get to know your preferences.

So let the folks who like Prinsendam praise her, and let those considering a cruise also review the ample evidence that she is not perfect and make their own choice...

When we upgrade to a premium cruise, at a premium price we understand that

Part of the premium is attritibutable to a small ship and higher staff ratio.

But we also expect, and desire, a premium ship in tip top condition. Elevators, AC, plumbing, and cabin all in tip top working condition.

Some of the comments remind me of the old railway hotels prior to renovation. The lobbies were beautiful, the exteriors were often heritage, but many of the rooms, pre renovation, were less than desirable.

Why can't people like a ship, because it has something or is something they like?? We are all individuals with different likes and dislikes. What I can tolerate, you may think is awful. Yesterday, a post was removed because someone was making insulting remarks about the type of person who would sail Prinsendam or HAL. A few people said she was overpriced, another said she was inexpensive, thus being inferior. What???? What I don't understand is why those of us who like an old, classic ship have to be made to feel we have no sense. If you don't like the ship or think she is too expensive, don't sail her. To me, it is pretty arrogant to put people down who like a certain ship. That is basically what it boils down to. When friends tell me what HAL ships they are sailing, there is no way I would ever criticize their choice!

Some of the comments remind me of the old railway hotels prior to renovation. The lobbies were beautiful, the exteriors were often heritage, but many of the rooms, pre renovation, were less than desirable.

Some of us cruisers don't mind that. I'd rather sail on a ship (or stay in a hotel) with some character, even it it means the cabin/room is slightly smaller, older, etc.

However -- that's not to say I would be willing to put up with nonfunctioning systems like HVAC or plumbing....:cool:

It goes back to my other post -- some people seem to have been very surprised that Prinsendam is "that" kind of ship. I think it's pretty easy to find that info out with a minimum of research and save oneself the expense and complaints after.

In the end, isn't it really a "caveat emptor" (buyer beware) situation?

If one is going to outlay a fair amount of money on a vacation, one should put in enough time researching the product to get a good understanding of whether or not that product is right for them.

Our research consisted of many years of reading about her on Cruise Critic ... which is precisely what led us to expect more than we found.

I understand that the suites, Penthouse, and Neptune Lounge are unique and special, but we just had an Outside on the Main deck. Leaving cabins out of the picture, the only place I considered to be any more "elegant" than other HAL ships was the Oak Room.

Many people say they love the MDR, but I found the low ceiling, which appeared to me to be metal, made the room very noisy.

Many people praise the walk-in closets, but IMO the placement of the hanger bars at right angles gave us less room to hang things than any other ship we've been on.

Many people say how well she "cuts the waves", and rides smoothly but we had one day where water was splashing out of the pools, and overall have had smoother rides on other ships.

We didn't think the food or service was superior to other HAL ships.

We enjoyed our cruise on her, but didn't find her sufficiently different from other HAL ships to justify the higher fares. We would only choose her again for a special itinerary.

Edited by jtl513

Our research consisted of many years of reading about her on Cruise Critic ... which is precisely what led us to expect more than we found.

I understand that the suites, Penthouse, and Neptune Lounge are unique and special, but we just had an Outside on the Main deck. Leaving cabins out of the picture, the only place I considered to be any more "elegant" than other HAL ships was the Oak Room.

Many people say they love the MDR, but I found the low ceiling, which appeared to me to be metal, made the room very noisy.

Many people praise the walk-in closets, but IMO the placement of the hanger bars at right angles gave us less room to hang things than any other ship we've been on.

Many people say how well she "cuts the waves", and rides smoothly but we had one day where water was splashing out of the pools, and overall have had smoother rides on other ships.

We didn't think the food or service was superior to other HAL ships.

We enjoyed our cruise on her, but didn't find her sufficiently different from other HAL ships to justify the higher fares. We would only choose her again for a special itinerary.

Regarding the walk in closet in OV accommodations, ours smelled musty, especially when the AC was not working. I hated to hang clothes in there. I also smelled must in a couple of the small card type rooms and some of the corridors. The worst musty smell was in a public rest room on the floor housing the dining rooms.