problems with Prinsendam

SeaBands

I usually plan ours for 11 a.m. in the Crow's Nest...10 is too early for me! Why don't you ask at the desk. Also, if you tell us what sailing you are on, we could look at your rollcall. Better yet...you can do that right now. Look for the section on rollcalls, find Prinsendam, then look for your particular cruise. See if anything is mentioned.

I do the 11;00 am when possible too.

If they ask at the front desk about the cruise critic meet and greet, they should hopefully get some help, I hope.

We were underwhelmed by the ship across the board.
I wouldn't use the word underwhelmed, but we were certainly disappointed that the ship did not live up to the hype we'd been hearing for so long from the fans that post here. We ate in the PG twice, and rate it about average - neither notably better nor worse than the PG on other ships where we have tried it. We did not think the ship was worth a premium price over HAL S-class ships.

I wouldn't use the word underwhelmed, but we were certainly disappointed that the ship did not live up to the hype we'd been hearing for so long from the fans that post here. We ate in the PG twice, and rate it about average - neither notably better nor worse than the PG on other ships where we have tried it. We did not think the ship was worth a premium price over HAL S-class ships.

I believe the most important point is that no one is right, and no one is wrong, with their impression of Prinsendam. We all like something different and what is wonderful for you, may not be the same for me. Those of us who love P like small, older ships from when they were built with quality materials to sail the seas. Not the newer ships that are more like floating hotels. There is no hype about Prinsendam that overrates her. There is a group of people who love sailing her, thus the high repeater rate. If people are underwhelmed or disappointed, it is because they like something different. I've been on ships where I've been disappointed, and others thought the ship was great (Ocean Princess for example). I also wasn't impressed with Amsterdam, which I guess is an S class. People either love P or not. We like her and will pay the premium. You did not, along with some others. That's fine. We are not pretending that she is something she is not. What bothers me is when people post that she doesn't live up to the hype. She does for many of us. We are mostly well traveled folks who just happen to like a smaller, old ship. She's what we like, but if you don't---that's OK. We've said that many, many times here---that she is not for everyone. If someone sails her and was disappointed, they really only have themselves to blame, because there are reviews that bash her!! People shouldn't be disappointed to embark an old ship with issues, because we have never tried to hide that! It just means they didn't do the research!

Thank you Linda. My thoughts exactly.

I believe the most important point is that no one is right, and no one is wrong, with their impression of Prinsendam. We all like something different and what is wonderful for you, may not be the same for me. Those of us who love P like small, older ships from when they were built with quality materials to sail the seas. Not the newer ships that are more like floating hotels. There is no hype about Prinsendam that overrates her. There is a group of people who love sailing her, thus the high repeater rate. If people are underwhelmed or disappointed, it is because they like something different. I've been on ships where I've been disappointed, and others thought the ship was great (Ocean Princess for example). I also wasn't impressed with Amsterdam, which I guess is an S class. People either love P or not. We like her and will pay the premium. You did not, along with some others. That's fine. We are not pretending that she is something she is not. What bothers me is when people post that she doesn't live up to the hype. She does for many of us. We are mostly well traveled folks who just happen to like a smaller, old ship. She's what we like, but if you don't---that's OK. We've said that many, many times here---that she is not for everyone. If someone sails her and was disappointed, they really only have themselves to blame, because there are reviews that bash her!! People shouldn't be disappointed to embark an old ship with issues, because we have never tried to hide that! It just means they didn't do the research!

I am still I dumbstruck (no comments please) how the PG experience can be so different on one ship in such a short period of time. Amazing.

We have been on the P'dam three times and our PG experience has excelled the other ships in the fleet. Our Maasdam experience where there was prune juice in a tea pot is not included, only the good ones:p That PG was so bad that we cancelled our remaining reservations and I stated accordingly on my live thread.

Well said Linda. This is a Love It or Hate it ship in my opinion. or maybe an underwhelmed ship? LOL.

It's not for everyone but many of us do enjoy her including my DH.

Well said Linda. This is a Love It or Hate it ship in my opinion.

Not at all. We didn't hate it, we liked it - just as we liked every HAL ship we've been on to some degree. But we simply don't think it all that much more "elegant" than some other HAL ships. Given identical itineraries we would choose the Maasdam - unless the P dropped its prices substantially.

No, LindaM, the Amsterdam is not S-class.

Edited by catl331

Why does it bother you if someone says the PDam doesn't live up to the hype? Many people have said this and it is a valid opinion. I have never bashed the ship and I didn't hate it, I've consistently said I was underwhelmed as I did not see the value added component over the rest of the fleet. Same food and menus as the rest of the fleet with rotisserie chicken being the staple in the Lido, same brats burgers, hot dogs poolside, standard dinner menus. I love rotisserie chicken but I can purchase a whole one at any grocery story for five bucks, Service was standard in the dining room and par for the course within the fleet, if you arrive when the dining room opens service is good, there are only one or two occupied tables in each section. If you arrive an hour into the dinner service is strained. Everyone is cordial and working hard but there is no premium staffing or service level. We thought the Lido was understaffed, we got our own beverages fourteen consecutive days. No table service other than the guy busing tables.

The physical plant on Prinsendam really struggles, the kindest description I have is it is very old in the tooth.

I have nothing against older ships, older hotels or older houses if they are in good condition, the Prinsendam has a lot of issues. For the price point I was unimpressed,underwhelmed and disappointed.

I had a veranda cabin on Deck 8 on the 2014 South America cruise and booked it again for a 2015 cruise. The location is excellent and the cabin is fine for one person. Two people can't really lounge in the cabin unless one sits propped up on the bed. The one cushion "couch" is suitable only for holding items. I did miss having the bookcase over the desk. I think the "mystique" about the Prinsendam is due to the itineraries (ah, the Kiel Canal) and the very well-traveled passengers. I don't book cruises for the food or for the entertainment, but I do love the library on the Prinsendam. So, thank goodness there is a ship to suit every taste. :) Barbara

I think the "mystique" about the Prinsendam is due to the itineraries (ah, the Kiel Canal) and the very well-traveled passengers. I don't book cruises for the food or for the entertainment, on the Prinsendam. So, thank goodness there is a ship to suit every taste. :) Barbara

Agree.

I've held off commenting on this, but the thread is still going.

I recently did my third TA on the Prinsendam. It is my favorite ship. The Java Cafe is like a womb to me. And I just love almost everything about the ship. When planning a cruise, I always look at P's itineraries first. (By the way, I travel solo, so the premium cost is even more significant).

But on the last trip I went to the PG with two friends. The head waiter was so officious, we were muttering to ourselves "Please leave us alone for a minute!" It was hard to have a conversation with him constantly interrupting us to see if everything was okay.

I ordered the lobster bisque for an appetizer. When I did not finish the soup, I was basically harassed by this guy to clean my plate. Look, I'm an obese woman. If I want more I'll eat it. But I was trying to pace myself for what was ahead. I'm embarrassed to admit I did take a few more tastes of it to try to get him off my back.

I ordered my steak medium. When I cut into it it looked a little red, but I took a couple of bites hoping it wasn't more rare inside. After that it was clear that this was a rare steak, not medium rare or medium like I ordered, but rare. It kind of turned my stomach, so I didn't eat any more. When I was asked if anything was wrong I explained it to him. I was very nice about it. He offered to cook it some more. Now, doing that after it had already been cut into would have produced a tougher, dry piece of meat. He should have offered a completely new steak (which I would not have accepted because I just didn't want anymore). He kept offering to cook the meat some more. I very politely told him it had kind of killed my appetite and declined.

It wasn't a good experience. For two of us it was our first PG experience. One said she would never go back. I will try it again, but maybe not on the Prinsendam for a while.

Why does it bother you if someone says the PDam doesn't live up to the hype? Many people have said this and it is a valid opinion. I have never bashed the ship and I didn't hate it, I've consistently said I was underwhelmed as I did not see the value added component over the rest of the fleet. Same food and menus as the rest of the fleet with rotisserie chicken being the staple in the Lido, same brats burgers, hot dogs poolside, standard dinner menus. I love rotisserie chicken but I can purchase a whole one at any grocery story for five bucks, Service was standard in the dining room and par for the course within the fleet, if you arrive when the dining room opens service is good, there are only one or two occupied tables in each section. If you arrive an hour into the dinner service is strained. Everyone is cordial and working hard but there is no premium staffing or service level. We thought the Lido was understaffed, we got our own beverages fourteen consecutive days. No table service other than the guy busing tables.

The physical plant on Prinsendam really struggles, the kindest description I have is it is very old in the tooth.

I have nothing against older ships, older hotels or older houses if they are in good condition, the Prinsendam has a lot of issues. For the price point I was unimpressed,underwhelmed and disappointed.

There is no hype. If you don't like the ship, that is your opinion. You seem to have a lot of opinions about a ship you don't care for. I keep telling people they have the right to NOT like Prinsendam. We all like something different. For me, I overlook the aging cabins because I like the size of the ship. The other HAL ships would be too large for me. The people who prefer P like small, old ships. She may not be any more elegant than any other HAL ship, but HAL coined that phrase, not those who sail her. Blame them! I do believe your opinions are overly harsh, but I can accept that because I understand you feel you overpaid. I would guess that most of the well traveled people who sail P have no problems paying or overpaying to sail a small ship. What I don't understand is that you feel your opinion is the only accurate one. Your opinion is your opinion, and it does not reflect the opinions of the people who cause her to have the highest repeater rate of the HAL fleet. I've been on P 4 times----so it is very difficult for me to give credence to your complaints about the service.

She may not be any more elegant than any other HAL ship, ....

I think she is, though. The quality of the materials and workmanship that went into her make her more elegant than the other ships in the fleet.

The Prinsendam truly has an elegant quality that shines through.

I think she is, though. The quality of the materials and workmanship that went into her make her more elegant than the other ships in the fleet.

I agree, Ruth. We won't have too many more years to enjoy such elegance. How about those lighting fixtures in the Pinnacle Grill. For some of us, that does matter. I expect she'll be out of the fleet in about four years, and when she goes there will be a stampede of people who want to be on her last voyage with HAL. If anyone on the board doesn't want to join the group, good. That means there will be a chance I'll get a cabin!!

I agree, Ruth. We won't have too many more years to enjoy such elegance. How about those lighting fixtures in the Pinnacle Grill. For some of us, that does matter. I expect she'll be out of the fleet in about four years, and when she goes there will be a stampede of people who want to be on her last voyage with HAL. If anyone on the board doesn't want to join the group, good. That means there will be a chance I'll get a cabin!!

That's an interesting perspective. If the ship is a money maker for hal why would they do away with the ship?

An interesting bit of trivia about the Prinsendam, though it probably has no influence on how you enjoy it, is that it was the last major cruise ship built where the individual cabins were constructed in-situ as opposed to more modern practice of building and furnishing them ashore and moving them into place like lego blocks.

That's an interesting perspective. If the ship is a money maker for hal why would they do away with the ship?

she is a huge money maker. She was the most profitable but I haven't heard a report lately and don't want to spread any misinformation, so I can't confirm that is still the case but from what the captain said last time, it seems to be the case.

Now most profitable on a small ship is not necessarily the most money in the fleet.

To your question, she is getting old and her parts are very difficult to replace as this is not a cookie cutter ship. Her Crow's Nest windows have to be specially made if they are damaged. Her Pinnacle Grill with it's beautiful wood walls would not be permitted in new ships now. and it still glows.

She's a very expensive ship to maintain (my conversation with the staff captain when we discussed the stolen camera - oops - misplaced camera and the attempt to get the memory card back).

Staff on this ship on the bridge have to specially trained. It's not your typical bridge. Maintenance of this ship to keep it to the standards it was built is a real challenge.

Last time I was on, I was told her life was most likely another 5 years at the most. The time comes for all ships. Even now at Mariner's luncheons, you are encouraged to say "build another Prinsendam". Will that happen? unlikely.

And while some might be underwhelmed a lot of HAL cruisers who like the old style ship that cuts through the waves will be tempted to try other smaller ships, sadly not in HAL's fleet.

An interesting bit of trivia about the Prinsendam, though it probably has no influence on how you enjoy it, is that it was the last major cruise ship built where the individual cabins were constructed in-situ as opposed to more modern practice of building and furnishing them ashore and moving them into place like lego blocks.

absolutely. One of the joys of this ship is that they are not cookie cutter cabins. Some are similar for sure, but they are not all alike. And other than the AB cabins, they are totally different than any cabins you will find on the current HAl ships. The higher up you can go, the better it gets. The NS on this ship are wonderful - smaller technically than some others but they use the space so well they are bigger.

The PS on this ship is the smallest in the fleet. No hot tub on the verandah. But the tub in the bathroom you climb up to in marble with windows that view the ocean (and open) are fabulous.

the entire PS is very well laid out and can comfortably hold 55 people despite its diminutive size. I've proven it ;)

Edited by kazu

I agree that she is elegant...at least in my opinion. I don't have a lot to compare, so I thought I would concede a little. We were on Amsterdam with you, and on the original Noordam. I don't remember Amsterdam being particularly elegant, but I didn't want to argue about it. I love sitting in P's Crow's Nest, looking at all the quality there!

And, if anyone knows HAL's ships, it is Ruth. Case closed.

. Her Pinnacle Grill with it's beautiful wood walls would not be permitted in new ships now. and it still glows.

The Pinnacle Grill was installed after the Seabourn Sun was transferred over to Holland America. That entire central area of the ship was part of the one seating dining room Royal Viking, Cunard Royal Viking, and Seabourn featured on the ship, which included the areas of the Pinnacle, Ocean bar and back thru the side and aft dining areas that still exist.

We moved to the Seabourn Sun when our beloved Vistafjord and Cunard was sold. Yes, we knew the same corporation owned both companies, but the Sun was more appropriate to our desire for a smaller ship that was run on a more old-time upscale level. We enjoyed several cruises on the Sun, and when she was turned over to Holland America, continued to cruise on her. Still a great lady!!! We still enjoy her.

she is a huge money maker. She was the most profitable but I haven't heard a report lately and don't want to spread any misinformation, so I can't confirm that is still the case but from what the captain said last time, it seems to be the case.

Now most profitable on a small ship is not necessarily the most money in the fleet.

To your question, she is getting old and her parts are very difficult to replace as this is not a cookie cutter ship. Her Crow's Nest windows have to be specially made if they are damaged. Her Pinnacle Grill with it's beautiful wood walls would not be permitted in new ships now. and it still glows.

She's a very expensive ship to maintain (my conversation with the staff captain when we discussed the stolen camera - oops - misplaced camera and the attempt to get the memory card back).

Staff on this ship on the bridge have to specially trained. It's not your typical bridge. Maintenance of this ship to keep it to the standards it was built is a real challenge.

Last time I was on, I was told her life was most likely another 5 years at the most. The time comes for all ships. Even now at Mariner's luncheons, you are encouraged to say "build another Prinsendam". Will that happen? unlikely.

And while some might be underwhelmed a lot of HAL cruisers who like the old style ship that cuts through the waves will be tempted to try other smaller ships, sadly not in HAL's fleet.

absolutely. One of the joys of this ship is that they are not cookie cutter cabins. Some are similar for sure, but they are not all alike. And other than the AB cabins, they are totally different than any cabins you will find on the current HAl ships. The higher up you can go, the better it gets. The NS on this ship are wonderful - smaller technically than some others but they use the space so well they are bigger.

The PS on this ship is the smallest in the fleet. No hot tub on the verandah. But the tub in the bathroom you climb up to in marble with windows that view the ocean (and open) are fabulous.

the entire PS is very well laid out and can comfortably hold 55 people despite its diminutive size. I've proven it ;)

I definitely believe the first paragraph, the most profitable ship in the fleet. We paid a premium price but I did not see the value added component. This is my consistent viewpoint, not worth the premium.

Menus and food in the dining room were standard for the fleet. Food in the Lido was standard for the fleet, lots of rotisserie chicken and pasta. Food at the poolside grill was standard for the fleet, same old burgers, brats and hot dogs. Service levels were standard for the fleet and not enhanced for the premium price paid, I still got my own beverages in the Lido and watched dining room servers struggle to keep up with a busy dining room.

As a consumer I expect more if I pay almost twice the price, whether it is a hotel, restaurant, automobile or a cruise ship. The Prinsendam was underwhelming for the price paid.

I have booked along with my wife PolarBearMom a 14 day cruise just to see what all the fuss and muss is about. Having done 16 HAL cruises over the last 30 years or so have seen much come and go. It will be taking us back in time and we look forward to the moments this summer. We want to cruise her before she does retire. Colakid.

and thankfully I got to experience the good old days pre Canivore Corporation takeover. I did a16 day TA on Prinsendam a few years ago & loved the ship for how she sailed & the size of the ship - other than that she was no different than the cruise on the Veendam we took to Bermuda - the last HAL we took. Both ships had issues w/ maintainence, the food was ok but nothing special & the staff cuts really was a problem in the stateroom & dining areas. HAL had reconfigured both ships by taking out aft pools & adding cabins. Especially on a warm climate itinerary that was an issue - but on both ships - even the original areas on Prinsendam - the service did not live up to the quality that was original. The HVAC systems on both ships are not adequate - even the Amsterdam now on a world cruise has leaks from rain. This is all dictated by carnivore main office & their predetermined business plan. The Prinsendam will continue to sail as long as Carnivore can squeeze a profit out of it or the Coast Guard boards her.

What really is funny is the people on these boards that are basically blind to reality. Whether a ship is elegant or not is an opinion - whether a ship is sea worthy, well maintained & staffed is fact - at this point I - IMO- the Prinsendam & Veendam are not. So these HAL cheerleaders just sprout nonsense about an inexpensive / down market product that once was one of quality & a measure of class & distinction.

Surely Prinsendam sails beautifully due to her Seabourn designed hull..there are newer ships out there that do sail similar itineraries - the question is whether these cheerleaders would or could afford to pay the non HAL per diems - I think not. For most of those people I think the food court at the local mall is their favorite restaurant.

After 40+ cruises w/ HAL I hated to give up on the line - but we will not sail any Carnivore LIne at this point. My sister did a world cruise on the Seabourn Sun and I recall her raving about it - much as we did about the Rotterdam V....those days are gone & so are those ships....so perhaps the HAL Cheerleaders could be a little more objective

the bolding is mine. and to clarify I am NOT a cheerleader. Take a look at my live thread and my disdain for the PG on the Maasdam.

to say anyone is "spouting" stuff is one of the most ridiculous statements I have heard in a long time. whatever everyone's experiences are, are their own. there is no ship I know that "cuts through the waves" like this one. I have been on other boards to ask to consider my next TA. And,, yes, I have been on other lines besides HAL, some now defunct.

I find your post demeaning of those that do enjoy the ship and frankly, if you didn't like her, that's your privilege. some of us have had very nice experiences (is it because the cruises are longer, I don't know?).

Each to their own. You go your way and I'll go mine. But please, don't insult those that enjoy the ship. If you missed some of the joy of her, you have my sincere sympathies.

Oh and by the way the ship wasn't built by Seabourn. It was built for luxury line Royal Viking, which explains the high quality materials. Just the facts.

I have booked along with my wife PolarBearMom a 14 day cruise just to see what all the fuss and muss is about. Having done 16 HAL cruises over the last 30 years or so have seen much come and go. It will be taking us back in time and we look forward to the moments this summer. We want to cruise her before she does retire. Colakid.

Good for you. Remember, she's older but if you don't mind small shows and maybe solos, they have brought some talented people on board when I have been on. she's still our favourite ship in the fleet. It's nice that the crew know you in a day and your likes and dislikes.

It's a totally different experience than the rest of the HAL fleet but some of us really enjoy her. If you want to go back to the days when the staff knew you, when they served you lovely buffets on the Lido and when there was no lineup (or minimal) and you really saw smiling faces that wanted to help at the Front Desk, then this is a ship to try.

She is old. no question, but she is still wearing well and you will see things on this ship that you don't on the others between the woodwork, the little hallways if you are in a verandah or OV so that you don't hear the sounds in the hallways, the list goes on. There's a lot of little touches on this ship that truly make her special IMO. Sadly, that day will be gone soon.

And, if you are underwhelmed, no worries. She's not for everyone. she still remains my favourite ship in the fleet. After the Westerdam, Noordam, Oceania is on our list only because the Prinsendam was leaving at the wrong time, from the wrong port and going to where we have been too many times.

When the new itineraries come out, the first ship I look at is this one.

I truly hope you enjoy her.

Edited by kazu

I'm avoiding the controversay but just wanted to correct an error by Rotterdam; Prinsendam was NOT a Seabourn design, she was designed for Royal Viking Line and entered service as the Royal Viking Sun - it was some years later that she sailed for Seabourn. If memory serves she was built by Wartsila in Finland.