Would paying for onboard costs in $US stop you

I have never sailed on an Australian based ship that charges in $A but how do their prices on board compare with the $US ships ie if Royal for example charges $6 for beer and Carnival Aust charges $6.60 and they pay the same duty free price for the can they have already built in a 10 percent currency difference so if we were at parity they are doing very well thank you. as I said I don't know the price differences between the ships, maybe someone could enlighten?

One thing to note is that the base (duty free) price will be different, as RCI sources the majority of their onboard duty free from the US, where the cost price is substantially lower.

Carnival (AU) source their onboard product locally so the cost base will be higher.

However, in terms of onboard prices there isn't a major difference after the recent fall in the AUD. Because of the higher local cost base, the onboard product on Carnival has a higher sales cost as well. So with the recent increase in converted prices, it makes them similar.

All my banks said 3% [one did have a minimum but I don't remember what it was], but they also all gave a better exchange rate than Celebrity.

Which bank(s) that?

The actual exchange rate from Celebrity for card purchases has been good, no worse than the banks.

Which bank(s) that?

The actual exchange rate from Celebrity for card purchases has been good, no worse than the banks.

NAB

StGeorge

Newcastle Permenant Building Soc

all 3%

Perm nearly 2c in $ better than X on exchange and after our OBC we spent about $7 so it was a real saving. [That was on the rate X quoted me at GR].

NAB

StGeorge

Newcastle Permenant Building Soc

all 3%

Perm nearly 2c in $ better than X on exchange and after our OBC we spent about $7 so it was a real saving. [That was on the rate X quoted me at GR].

Thanks, NAB used to be 4% so must have brought it down to be more competitive. Brings them on par with the cruise line.

Thanks, NAB used to be 4% so must have brought it down to be more competitive. Brings them on par with the cruise line.

Check with NAB I didn't ask them "herself did" but we'd already decided to use the "Perm" account.

I have booked a RCI cruise in February 2016.... All I am hearing is that the $$$ is going to drop down to around $0.70........ I guess it may be worth exchanging a heap of cash now at the Post office.

1 AUD = 0.79 USD 2,000.00 = 1,580.00

That is a big difference but hoping the $ will go up before February, 2016.....

I think by getting cash I will save the 3% exchange rates etc... I was reading that they will not let you use travel money cards that do not have your name on it either which I think is crap.