Is buying rum from Fun Shops worth it?

Terab85

:confused:We're cruising with Carnival for the first time next month for anniversary and we plan to bring soda on board so that when we buy rum, we can make our own drinks and sit on our balcony. Is it really worth it? $85 seems pretty steep :eek:

Depends upon how much you drink and if you want to pay $7-$9 per drink at the bars and on the decks.

I buy a bottle of vodka that I make drinks from each day--mostly with oj.

Worth every penny for me.

May not be worth it to you--that's your call.

33.81 ounces in a liter.

1.5 ounces per drink

22 drink per liter

$85 per liter

$3.86 per drink for rum. Add cost of Coke and probably still cheaper than $10 per drink (with tip added).

You can bring a 12 pk of Coke each on the ship with you.

33.81 ounces in a liter.

1.5 ounces per drink

22 drink per liter

$85 per liter

$3.86 per drink for rum. Add cost of Coke and probably still cheaper than $10 per drink (with tip added).

Thanks for doing the math for me. Make the decision pretty easy :D

Thanks for doing the math for me. Make the decision pretty easy :D

No problem. Just to continue on the math lesson, a 12 pk of coke does work perfectly with the liter of Rum (about 1 part Rum and 3 parts Coke) unless you are my wife, which we usually have about 8 cans of Coke left over after the bottle runs dry.:D

Edited by HawkIVette

I always get a bottle of vodka and since we stay on the lido the lemonade is never to far away. Also, if you buy the pack with the mixers, the additional six pack is only $5 which is pretty cheap for a cruise. I usually get the tonic water since I wont bring those on.

33.81 ounces in a liter.

1.5 ounces per drink

22 drink per liter

$85 per liter

Great math except as I recall a simple rum and coke runs $6-ish plus tip. Still worth it IMO.

Thanks everyone. I too have been debating this and just about fell over when I saw $85 for Captain Morgan's. Seeing it broken down now makes it more palatable. I think I am going to order the bottle, bring on our coke and our allotted 2 bottles of wine and not think twice.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks everyone. I too have been debating this and just about fell over when I saw $85 for Captain Morgan's. Seeing it broken down now makes it more palatable. I think I am going to order the bottle, bring on our coke and our allotted 2 bottles of wine and not think twice.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That's exactly what I'm thinking, so thanks for typing that all out for me :p

That is exactly what we have done our last two cruises and plan to again this upcoming cruise. Works very well for us and even with purchasing drinks from the bars as desired during the cruise we still come out well below what the Cheers package costs and I don't recall ever feeling like we were 'doing without' drink wise.