Waremunde/ Berlin question

We have travelled to a good number of large and small cities in Europe. Berlin is not one of those. We have one day in this port, and it appears that a full day will only allow approx 3 1/2-4 hours actually in Berlin.

I would appreciate input from you if you felt that this was a good use of time, ve heading to a more local smaller town? I know - apples to oranges.

Don't know if we will get back to Berlin again......but 5-6 hours in busses or trains.......

Thanks!

When we were in Berlin, we did a bike tour. Ours came with dinner, but without dinner you could probably find one that fits into your available time. It was a great way to see the entire city, easy ride, great for one day. It's all we did during our short time in Berlin and I think we saw everything.

We have travelled to a good number of large and small cities in Europe. Berlin is not one of those. We have one day in this port, and it appears that a full day will only allow approx 3 1/2-4 hours actually in Berlin.

I would appreciate input from you if you felt that this was a good use of time, ve heading to a more local smaller town? I know - apples to oranges.

Don't know if we will get back to Berlin again......but 5-6 hours in busses or trains.......

Thanks!

A few years ago we had the same decision to make.

We decided to take a coach to Berlin and walked around the city.

It is flat and easy walking and a few hours gives you an opportunity to see some of the monuments, architecture and historical parts.

Great food and worth doing particularly if you are not certain of returning

There are some companies that run tours to Berlin and will get you around to seeing the key sites. Berlin is somewhat spread out. For example, Checkpoint Charlie is not around the corner from the Brandenburg Gate. Berlin does have a good system of public transportation.

What are your actual hours in port? If I recall, I had about 6 1/2 hours in Berlin when I took the ship excursion on the private train. We arrived around 11:30 am and I think we left Berlin at 6:00 pm. I don't regret doing the trip. I enjoyed watching the countryside from the train. I would do it again. But I'm not sure I would do it for 3 1/2 - 4 hours of Berlin time.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Don't know if we will get back to Berlin again.

This is the key phrase. If you don't go, will you be kicking yourselves when you get home, "I should have went?"

If so, GO. As has been said, from many of the posts here, most people usually have about 6 hours or so to tour Berlin. There are many tour companies that will supply the buses to Berlin, take you around to see all the sights, and then get you back to your ship in time to sail away. Most of the companies that do tours in St Petersburg, also do Berlin and would probably offers a small discount if you booked both with them. That's how I would go. It will be as long day, but in the long run, you will see

Berlin and you will be happy about that.

We went a week pre cruise in London and always wanted to see Paris. WE did the Eurostar to Paris, spent about 6 hours there and trained back to London. A very long day, but you bet we were glad we did it. never a doubt about it.

Cheers

Len

I had not thought of a bike ride option. If you had just walked do you think you would have been able to see everything? Thanks!

Absolutely not. We biked all across Berlin - east and west, Brandenburg gate, Check point Charlie, the wall, Hitler bunker, Reichstag, Jewish memorial, and many other places. It was safe and the guys knew exactly where they were going. We probably stopped at least every 5-10 minutes. Saw a ton!!! I can't imagine a more efficient way to see the city. Lastly, we biked through a park to a beer garden and had dinner and beer. As soon as you stop on the bike, they start talking. So unlike a bus, you aren't waiting for people to get on and off. I think there were about 10 people in our group.

Do you remember who the bike tour company was?

We are sailing on the new Viking Oceans Star. This roll out has been a complete fiasco. We are 3 1/2 months out, they are changing our itinerary but won't provide details. We don't know for sure our port changes, port times, excursions and those details.....so planning for the big cities such as this one is nearly impossible.

• 2 months later...
We have one day in this port, and it appears that a full day will only allow approx 3 1/2-4 hours actually in Berlin.

Hi! I’ve got Berlin itinerary from the Best Guides. You also can check it on their web. They promise 6 hours in Berlin. Ok, 1 hour is a lunch break. It’s still 5 hours- 3 hours for Western Berlin and 2 for Eastern part. Not enough but better than 3 ½ - 4 hours. Jess