Help! Using iPhones to keep in touch with teens in ship?

SarahD112

There's some discussion about this on the cruise technology thread, but not much. We will be on Oasis in March with our two teens. They're in different age groups for teen activities and its a BIG ship. My thought was to rent the iPhones they have in the ship for this purpose. $30 a phone (would need 3), can text each other, see where the other phones (I.e. My kids!) are on the ship and access the ship map/directory from phone. I've read they don't work too well, however. As I understand it, I could instead get some kind of package from Verizon for a certain amount of data and use our own iPhones to communicate. A third option seems to be turning off the data and just texting. Incoming free, outgoing .50. I THINK (I am less tech savvy than my kids) that because the data will be turned off, I can't group text, right? I'm terrified of turning off or not turning off the wrong things and getting a massive bill. Cruise technology for dummies, anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most people buy walkie-talkies. Much cheaper and kids can use them other places at home.

I suggest you look into Motorola or another good brand. Don't buy the cheap ones you'll be sorry. Also look for ones that have multiple channel levels so that you can find one that no one else is using.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There's some discussion about this on the cruise technology thread, but not much. We will be on Oasis in March with our two teens. They're in different age groups for teen activities and its a BIG ship. My thought was to rent the iPhones they have in the ship for this purpose. $30 a phone (would need 3), can text each other, see where the other phones (I.e. My kids!) are on the ship and access the ship map/directory from phone. I've read they don't work too well, however. As I understand it, I could instead get some kind of package from Verizon for a certain amount of data and use our own iPhones to communicate. A third option seems to be turning off the data and just texting. Incoming free, outgoing .50. I THINK (I am less tech savvy than my kids) that because the data will be turned off, I can't group text, right? I'm terrified of turning off or not turning off the wrong things and getting a massive bill. Cruise technology for dummies, anyone?

You can rent the ship iphones for $30, but be aware that they want to charge you something like $1000 per phone if are lost or damaged.

Without any extra packages, the texting will cost $0.50 per text. Turn off cellular data. No photos with texts, no iMessage, and no group texting.

Edited by clarea

Tell your teens where you'll be...have the teen come and FIND YOU before they go to the next thing...checking in "IN PERSON" is much better than relying on a phone call to make sure your child is ok. Make frequent "in person" checks standard.

In reality, even tho the ship is huge, the public areas are somewhat limited....if everyone knows everyone's plans, finding each other shouldn't be an issue!

We will be on the Oasis in 24 days (of course I am counting!) and we are in the situation - two teens, different age groups. This will be their 7th cruise. I am very curious to hear what others have to say on this. We have never rented the phones and I have a very strict no cell phone policy on the ship for our family - it's the one time of the year that we can unplug and I have come to cherish that aspect of the vacation.

Last year the rules were simple -if you were not with the organized Teen program - there were only a couple of other places you could be without a parent. This year I am thinking the list will be - Windjammer, Dogg House, Sorentos, Park Café, and basketball court. If you were going to do anything else you had to leave a note in the room with the time and where you were off to. This year we are going to try something new (based on a suggestion found on the forums) and bring a couple of dry erase markers. Notes will be left on the bathroom mirror.

You can rent the ship iphones for $30, but be aware that they want to charge you something like $1000 per phone if are lost or damaged.

Without any extra packages, the texting will cost $0.50 per text. Turn off cellular data. No photos with texts, no iMessage, and no group texting.

I just called AT&T the other day. We plan to just do the pay $.50 per text option, and tell our son it is only to be used for a really important reason (e.g. he can't find us). Additionally I may bring some high quality walkie talkies we have, but I have a feeling he will not want to carry one of those around. His iphone is his watch and camera too, so it will always be with him.

I just called AT&T the other day. We plan to just do the pay $.50 per text option, and tell our son it is only to be used for a really important reason (e.g. he can't find us). Additionally I may bring some high quality walkie talkies we have, but I have a feeling he will not want to carry one of those around. His iphone is his watch and camera too, so it will always be with him.

Just a note that the phone will still be able to make and receive voice calls. AT&T charges $2.49 per minute for voice calls at sea. Someone can confirm, but I have read here that you get charged the $2.49 even if the phone rings and you don't pick up. So if you get lots of calls, it might be best to set the phone line to automatically go to voice mail.

Just a note that the phone will still be able to make and receive voice calls. AT&T charges $2.49 per minute for voice calls at sea. Someone can confirm, but I have read here that you get charged the $2.49 even if the phone rings and you don't pick up. So if you get lots of calls, it might be best to set the phone line to automatically go to voice mail.

agreed. thankfully we rarely get calls, and hopefully can block the few pesky "spam" numbers ahead of time.

We are in the same situation. I have also read that you need to let Verizon know ahead of time, I believe they have to do something in the system to make the texting work. I am cruising in July so I haven't taken the time to call Verizon yet, but have read a lot of threads about this.

It's 50 cents to send a text, 5 cents to receive, so basically 55 cents if you are on the same account.

Edited by mickev99

We tried walkie talkies one year (it was several years ago now) and it was difficult to find a channel that was free of chatter and I found I was just annoyed by them.

I also like meet up times. For example - we are all going to be back in the room - or at the pool - or in the Schooner bar at 2pm to touch base. Coincidentally the meet up time and place is always somewhere I want to be, when I want to be there. After all, I'm paying for this! =^)

One thing I just to remind parents about is that you are on a ship with pools, etc. If your kids are responsible and can be trusted to keep that iphone, or whatever safe maybe it is worth having them keep it with them. If, however like most kids, they put them down while doing other things, you may find that iphone missing, damaged, etc. We found our kids did not want to carry phone or walkie talkies or anything else around with them while on the ship.

We use check in times and notes and have not had an issue in the past, even on the largest ships (and yes we have been on Allure twice). First thing in the morning we compare schedules and set an initial check in time/place. If someone's schedule changes (yes either theirs OR ours) we leave a note INSIDE the cabin. Personal pet peeve, why would I want my kids to leave a note on a whiteboard on the outside of a door letting the whole ship know where they are? We also do check up on our kids periodically to make sure they are where they said they would be.

Set rules and consequences for your kids if they don't follow them. Had to impose consequences once for son, he never did it again.

A little planning and you can stay in contact without using technology and wasting your $$ on calls, texts, etc.

We will be on your same cruise 2/14, and I am not planning on letting my boys 15, 11 have their phones or renting ship phones. I think a dry erase board, plan, and trust with consequences will be ok..... But then again I am naive! :)

We tried walkie talkies one year (it was several years ago now) and it was difficult to find a channel that was free of chatter and I found I was just annoyed by them.

I also like meet up times. For example - we are all going to be back in the room - or at the pool - or in the Schooner bar at 2pm to touch base. Coincidentally the meet up time and place is always somewhere I want to be, when I want to be there. After all, I'm paying for this! =^)

I meant to reply to your post! Maybe our kids can hang out together and we can take turns 'spying' on them.

One thing I just to remind parents about is that you are on a ship with pools, etc. If your kids are responsible and can be trusted to keep that iphone, or whatever safe maybe it is worth having them keep it with them. If, however like most kids, they put them down while doing other things, you may find that iphone missing, damaged, etc. We found our kids did not want to carry phone or walkie talkies or anything else around with them while on the ship.

We use check in times and notes and have not had an issue in the past, even on the largest ships (and yes we have been on Allure twice). First thing in the morning we compare schedules and set an initial check in time/place. If someone's schedule changes (yes either theirs OR ours) we leave a note INSIDE the cabin. Personal pet peeve, why would I want my kids to leave a note on a whiteboard on the outside of a door letting the whole ship know where they are? We also do check up on our kids periodically to make sure they are where they said they would be.

Set rules and consequences for your kids if they don't follow them. Had to impose consequences once for son, he never did it again.

A little planning and you can stay in contact without using technology and wasting your $$ on calls, texts, etc.

I love the whiteboard inside the cabin. I've always thought the same thing about whiteboards on the outside door.