Condition of Galaxy

barbels

My husband and I have sailed rwice on the Galaxy but the last time was April 2002. I'm thimking about bookling a Med cruise next year but a couple of reviews I've seen make me think that the ships furnishings need reburbishment. Can any recent cruisers tell me about the current condition of the ship. Also are there plans for refurbishing before next summer?

This question comes up two or three times a month. Do a search and you will find tons of post talking about the great condition of the ship.

You will have one or two negative posts. But on the whole the ship is in great shape.

I have sailed on her three times in the last four years, never a problem or concern.

Celebrity does a great job with the upkeep or their ships. The only time I have had an problem with a ships condition was on Carnival.

The only reason I can see as to why there are negative comments on the whole is the fact there are so many new ships with new amenities. She is a 9 year old ship and doesn't have the bells and whistles of the new ships and the decor and reflects the time and which she was built.

I tire of these same questions about the X ships on the whole. I have sailed 7 times on X in the past 4 years and found every ship to be up the the quality in the condion of the ship as I did the Brilliance of the Seas when I sailed on her when she was eight months old.

Go and have a great time.

From what I understand she is due for drydock in the Fall of 2006

The service in port for tender passengers is abslotely differente of Millennium. In Millennium there are no towels, no water, no kindness. If you go in the Galaxy and you coincide with the Millenium offer water and towels to Millennium passengers. I am grateful with some did that some days in Santorini whe Millennium staff did not wanted to share their water with passengers placed some yards from those of Galaxy.

I know people who have to have a brand new car every year and always buy brand new houses. These people will probably find the Galaxy a bit old. To everyone else she is in great shape.

Note that there are constant refurbishments taking place, for example on our cruise this month they were laying new carpets in the public areas and in some cabins.

A ships official also told me that over the forthcoming winter season she is being taken out of service for a short period of time for some refurbishments that are not possible with passengers on board.

barbels, I would definitely weigh up the good reports with the bad on Galaxy. I have seen many more reports about what a lovely ship she is too. We have been on her twice and thought she was in great shape for a ship 9 years old, last November being no exception. Everyones perceptions are different. I wouldn't say I am fussy, but neither am I accepting of poor maintenance. She was being forever polished and looked after and there was evidence of furnishings being replaced. This they will do on a constant basis regardless of a dry dock.

Book Galaxy and enjoy the experience. I'm sure you will love the feel and the quality of the crew. They were all excellent.

Phil

Obviously, no one wants to spend their $$ crusing on a garbage barge....

We were on the Galaxy in April of this year. She was outstanding...But there was a three inch rip in the back of a sofa in the cigar bar...

Darn if it didn't nearly ruin our cruise!

The crew, the entertainment, the quality of the service, the entire Celebrity experience on the Galaxy has forced us to re-book her for April 06.

Gee, i hope they fix that rip, would hate to have another cruise ruined.

I know people who have to have a brand new car every year and always buy brand new houses. These people will probably find the Galaxy a bit old. To everyone else she is in great shape.

Note that there are constant refurbishments taking place, for example on our cruise this month they were laying new carpets in the public areas and in some cabins.

A ships official also told me that over the forthcoming winter season she is being taken out of service for a short period of time for some refurbishments that are not possible with passengers on board.

PeteMan, I am really glad that you brought this subject of constant refurbishment up. We had a Royal Suite on Century in May of 2004, and we thought that it was a little "dowdy" compared to our Royal Suite on Mercury just a few months before. Well, imagine our surprise when we entered our Royal Suite on Century in February of this year. It and its furnishings appeared to be brand new and totally more attractive than our previous one almost a year earlier. It was our impression, and it was confirmed by our butler that the suites had been refurbished.

i think its all been said. i agree totally with jim, in the strato lounge there was a chair with a wobbly leg, really troubled me for the entire 5 minutes i sat in it!!!!!

no doubt anyone can find anything wrong if thats what they want to do. i figure as long as they keep her afloat, i'm 99% satisfied!!!!!! and we liked her so much we are doing the new years cruise, leaving dec 29th!!!!!

(i'm smuggling a bottle of gorilla glue abroad to fix that damn leg)

About this time last year I got caught up in the Galaxy condition concerns as we were booked to be on her in March 2005. Folks here assured me that the Galaxy was in fine condition. They were right. No, she's was not "perfect", in the sense of a brand new ship or one that had recently come out of drydock. There were a few places where she needed some work but nothing that detracted from our cruise. Overall we are sold on Celebrity and only going back to HAL for our next cruise because of timing, itinerary, and cost. We'd be back on the Galaxy in a heartbeat, without her going to drydock, for the right cruise at the right price.

We just bought a new car. And, also, learned a new 'word'. "De-contenting'. You see, the new car was the newer model of the same vehicle we have been driving for the past x number of years. Problem is, that lot's of things on the older car were just plain absent on the new vehicle. Same brand, same model, not as many features as the old one. Some features were just plain not available, even if you went 'up' a grade in the vehicle line.

Newer? yes. Shinier?, yes of course. Better?? That's debateable. Point is, bigger, newer, shinier is not always better. I'm sure the Galaxy is a fine ship, and you would have a great cruise aboard.

Not to worry.

Obviously, no one wants to spend their $$ crusing on a garbage barge....

We were on the Galaxy in April of this year. She was outstanding...But there was a three inch rip in the back of a sofa in the cigar bar...

Jim -- the studs go on the FRONT of your tux shirt!

i think its all been said. i agree totally with jim, in the strato lounge there was a chair with a wobbly leg, really troubled me for the entire 5 minutes i sat in it!!!!!
I've heard similar complaints about the Martini Bar, but it's always turned out to be a result of the martinis, not the chair legs.

Thanks for all your input. We booked the Aug 25, 2006 cruise. I've never booked this far in advance before, but I am worried that the price of fuel may substantially increase the price of cruising and I wanted to lock in a price I could afford.

Hello all!

I came back from Galaxy last week.

The ship is in good shape, the staff continusly paints, cleans and I saw two members of the crew changing the flor carpets in the elevetors.

Overall I had one of my best cruises (I made around 20 cruisese and this is the 4th with Celebrity). The service was very attentive e very professional, and during 11 days on boards the crew pampered all the passangers.

The food was excellent and well presented, and a special cudos to the pastry chef. No kind of complaints.

Entreteinments were ok, and the cruise director, Steward, was very kind and friendly and professional. We appreciate a lot the special guest Pearl Kaufman, a very talented piano player who performed, for our deligh, also , after the regular early and late evening show, for an extra performance.

Celebrity Cruise didn't delude me and I'll conitinue to choise it for my future cruises.

If anyone wish to see the daily program activities, I'm able to scannerize and send them.

Archived