Travel Insurance question

warriorking

:D I currently have a cruise booked for March of 2016, my final payment is due Jan 1st of that year..

:( There is a possibility that I may need to reschedule the cruise in November to a different time, same ship and destination just a new date and neither would put me beyond the final payment deadline .

My question is will they transfer the travel insurance that was added to my current cruise onto my rescheduled cruise or will they penalize me and make me pay twice for the same coverage...

Edited by warriorking

:D I currently have a cruise booked for March of 2016, my final payment is due Jan 1st of that year..

:( There is a possibility that I may need to reschedule the cruise in November to a different time, same ship and destination just a new date and neither would put me beyond the final payment deadline .

My question is will they transfer the travel insurance that was added to my current cruise onto my rescheduled cruise or will they penalize me and make me pay twice for the same coverage...

don't think you can use one policy for 2 cruises which would be basically what you would be doing. I would say have to purchase new policy

If you purchased your insurance through an independent insurance company, not the cruise line, then it's common practice for many companies to give you credit for the insurance on the cruise you cancelled prior to any cancellation penalty period and allow you to use that credit toward insuring a future cruise. We've done this a couple of times. I can't guarantee all insurance companies permit this. You'll have to call yours to find out.

You need to refer to the specific terms of the policy you have, and also double check with the insurer (or the cruise line if that's where you got the insurance).

You'll probably get more help if you post this in the Travel Insurance section of CruiseCritic.

As an aside, we get trip insurance through

TripInsuranceStore.com

using TravelInsured.

Our policies DO allow one to transfer the coverage to another trip anywhere, as long as it is done before the departure date of the first trip, and, I think, within a year.

We can also adjust the departure dates of the first trip, so I'm not sure quite how your situation would play out with our policy terms.

We've made enough changes to "existing insured trips" that my guess is that it would be considered the "same" trip.

But one needs to ask about the specific terms of the exact policy one has.

There are no "generalities".

GeezerCouple

I, too, have called the insurance company and if it before final payment, was able to rebook and carry over the insurance. You have to pay more if the new cruise is more expensive. In one case, we had to book a new trip before the original departure date. Another time, after Hurricane Sandy, they were very generous about the time frame. Every company is different. We dealt with Travel Guard.

Depending on where you bought it (like insure my trip dot com) you can do it. I purchased from there and did it.

My insurance policy was purchased through NCL because the Rep asked my Travel agent over the speaker phone if I wanted to add insurance when we booked yesterday, we ask for the rate which NCL provided and it was added to my total bill ...

Edited by warriorking

If you "bought" the insurance through NCL, and have only paid the cruise Deposit, you actually haven't purchased the insurance yet. It goes into effect when you pay the insurance premium.

Then what I wrote yesterday fits your situation. Did you just pay the Deposit, or did you pay the Deposit plus pay the insurance premium as well?