Obstructed balconies on Regal

MiMiT

I am concerned about what balconies are truly obstructed. I saw pics of Royal balconies that had a lifeboat half way up their view. Anyone been on Regal who can shed some light about which balconies to avoid if we don't want to look at a lifeboat the whole trip?

I am concerned about what balconies are truly obstructed. I saw pics of Royal balconies that had a lifeboat half way up their view. Anyone been on Regal who can shed some light about which balconies to avoid if we don't want to look at a lifeboat the whole trip?

The cabin numbering system and location on Regal Princess and Royal Princess are identical. With that said...

My best advice is - and it may sound like I am blowing you off - is to look at, and study, the ships deck plan on the Princess Cruises website. Specifically the Emerald Deck cabins deck plan, and their relationship to the placement of the lifeboats (shaded gray on the deck plan). Those deck plans - and I've been doing this for over 18 months by comparing those deck plans to actual photographs - are remarkably accurate when showing the cabins and lifeboats, and how they are placed in relation to each other.

For those that are located behind lifeboats: Go for that one (or two cabins) that are dead center of a lifeboat on the deck plan, avoid those located on either end of a lifeboat (davit obstructions), and at all cost, avoid those anywhere near a tender (the last two lifeboats on the port side, and the last three on the starboard side).

If at all possible pick cabins that are forward of E228/229 or aft of E630/631; they are free and clear of any obstructions other than when you look directly forward or directly aft.

Or pick those that are underneath the area of the SeaView Bar and SeaWalk on Emerald Deck in and around the amidship area (again, look at a deck plan). Due to the architectural curvature of the superstructure and the 'points' that stick out, the 'obstruction' is most often that design because it keeps you from seeing forward/aft due to being within, or around, that curve.

Here are just a few examples of when I made 'arrows' or annotated those pictures showing SeaWalk/SeaView Bar information and cabin locations. It's not that hard to do, to pick a cabin that will satisfy your need to be in as least of an obstructed location as possible....

14903884111_2dc23b37b7_b.jpg

14903884121_32f7a8eac1_c.jpg

16135683678_f7f3b0d256_c.jpg

15854122490_e0d9345ffe_b.jpg

15823533487_af48d36666_c.jpg

15406519493_91549f2940_b.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959
  • Like 1

I had E703 on the Royal in September and it was great! Only "obstruction" was if I was at the rail looking directly forward.

Pam do you have a picture from that cabin. I would like to post even the ones that have no obstruction just so people can see.

Theo

I had E703 on the Royal in September and it was great! Only "obstruction" was if I was at the rail looking directly forward.

Pam, I had heard there were some issues with the cabin just forward of yours (E701), and the noise coming from the exterior door leading the Promenade Deck being just below it when it closes (slams?) shut. Same for E704 on the port side. Have you heard about this?

:D

We stayed in E701 on the Regal last month and the "obstruction" was like Pam showed, no problem for us.:) But, Yes - the slamming of the exterior door was very noticeable, not only throughout the day & evening but especially early in the morning if we wanted to sleep in. The other thing we noticed is at night if we were out on the balcony the lights around the lower promenade area were very bright. They had shields over the tops but were still bright. Other than that the cabin & location were fine. We would stay in this area again, just a few decks higher.;)

Andrea

~~~~~~~~