Latitudes on Voyager & Mariner

I was thumbing through the 2005 brochure for 'The Tropics' and noticed that Latitudes is described as featuring "a glorious menu of asian inspired cuisine."

Is that accurate? I realize they serve a different menu when Mariner is in Alaska, but is the usual theme asian in Latitudes on both ships now?

(My husband can't usually eat asian food :( )

I was on the Mariner earlier this month. Lattitudes has nothing Asian about it other than the dinnerware and a couple of toned down starters that sounded a bit Asian but really weren't. The main courses were halibut, vension and something else (con't remember), so don't worry.

As an aside, as I posted when I returned, service was not great. Aside from being very impersonal, when I asked the assistant waiter about the venison he said it was nothing special as it was only white tail deer from Wisconsin. Then I overheard the head waiter tell another table it was "fresh" from Sitka picked up just the day before. So we asked him directly and he said it was black tail deer from Sitka. So then we discreetly asked the assistant waiter again: white tail from Wisconsin. Huh?

Frankly, we don't know what it was or where it was from. What we do know is that such gamesmanship was a real turnoff and something we never expected on Radisson. Putting on a show is one thing. Pulling one over on a customer is something else.

BTW, the halibut was very good.

I was on the Mariner earlier this month. Lattitudes has nothing Asian about it other than the dinnerware and a couple of toned down starters that sounded a bit Asian but really weren't. The main courses were halibut, vension and something else (con't remember), so don't worry.

Thanks so much... I realize that Mariner serves a different (northwest-style) menu in Alaska. I was wondering about the "usual" cuisine.

I appreciate your input! :)

Lattitudes changes its menu based upon where the ship is then cruising. From my look-see at the menu it is really only the main course that changes significantly. I could be wrong, but either way the menu was not terribly inspired and I don't think there will be any real Asian dishes.

Signatures was much better, though its food and service was no better than the main dining room service on the Diamond. (That might well be a compliment.)

Two years ago on the Mariner we loved Latitudes and ate there 2 or 3 times. The menu was asian themed although not totally asian. Thought signatures was over rated both food and service wise. Last year on the Voyager the Latitudes menu did not inspire us at all so we never ate there, but Signatures was wonderful, food, service, atmosphere. We ate there a few times. Check the menu at Latitudes when you board and make your choices then. We have always found slots available and after deciding on our favorite have always been able to get back to the one we liked even on a "standby" basis.

Enjoy

Hi, I know this is out of context but I saw your name and I just had to tell you I loved your website as a first time cruiser and referred to it often and even told my hubby "you need to be on cruise divas time line" as he can put travelling things off till the last min and then scramble.

I just wanted to tell you that your advice served me well. My plane leaves in a few hours and my S S Mariner to Alaska tomorrow.

I hope you have many safe healthy and happy travels

We've had some excellent meals in Latitudes. The menu does change and we've seen quite a variety. One time in Australia they even offered something like "wild Boar"........we skipped that whole menu all together, way too exotic for my simple palate!! They often have a show as well (once we had a Belly Dancer entertain us) which makes the entire dining experience a lot of fun. I'd highly recommend going to Latitudes.

Hi, I know this is out of context but I saw your name and I just had to tell you I loved your website as a first time cruiser and referred to it often and even told my hubby "you need to be on cruise divas time line" as he can put travelling things off till the last min and then scramble.

I just wanted to tell you that your advice served me well. My plane leaves in a few hours and my S S Mariner to Alaska tomorrow.

I hope you have many safe healthy and happy travels

Thank you, MrsMoose.

We just returned from a wonderful cruise to Bermuda on the Navigator last week. I hope your Alaska cruise is just as outstanding!!! :)

On my Feb Mariner Amazon to FLL we had two menus. The first was Amazon based and the second was Caribbean based. I saw a "Jerk" something and did it one night. OK but still I like the main dinning room. I did not do Signatures and only did the Italian Steak place one night.

IMHO, I loved the main dinning room and would only do it unless I felt in the need of a good steak. :)

• 2 weeks later...

As of last week, Latitudes on Voyager seemed to be set to an Asian theme for the foreseeable future (restaurant is decorated on an Asian theme). Menu was changed mid-way through the trip (Dover-Monte Carlo) and we ate once on each menu...and enjoyed it both times. Biggest difference (unless they changed Mariner since May) is that Latitudes on the Voyager is no longer by reservation. At first, this seemed like a set-back in that there no longer is a show in the galley as they used to do when there was a single seating thought the kitchen is still open to view. However, the big upside for us is that we'd take a look at the Compass Rose menu each day and if we particularly liked it, ate there. On the nights it didn't, we'd head to Latitudes. With a reservation made days in advance, you're guessing what will be the alternatives. We would have eaten in Latitudes again if we hadn't eaten in Signatures twice (anniversary dinner and graduation dinner for the Cordon Bleu class) and La Veranda (class dinner for the Cordon Bleu group).

We also really liked Latitudes on the Mariner on a Los Angeles to Alaska to Vancouver cruise earlier this year...we ate there 4 times in 12 nights on two different menus.

I think you'lll either really like Latitudes or not enjoy it much.

Thanks for the update Scott. I'm sorry to hear about the changes, the show and intimacy of one seating was part of the great dining experience IMO. It was such a FUN experience! On occassions if the menu at Compass Rose didn't look inviting, we would head upstairs to LaVeranda which seem to serve the same purpose as Latitudes does now.

Perhaps I can identify where the 'asian menu' idea

might be attributed to. Prior to our summer '04 Baltic

cruise we had read extensively re: the regional American

menu offered in Latitudes. Beginning that cruise, they

had,instead, designed a pan asian menu. Still all 1 seating.

It sounds as though they have been thru several rebirths

since that time.

Archived