Wireless doorbell for balcony room

lharry

I guess the next step will be a "door bell crawl." Just imagine. Instead of a cabin crawl we would have a large group of CCers going from cabin to cabin to hear who has installed the coolest doorbell.

Hank

I guess the next step will be a "door bell crawl." Just imagine. Instead of a cabin crawl we would have a large group of CCers going from cabin to cabin to hear who has installed the coolest doorbell.

Hank

So lets have fun with this! Possible custom ring tones:

Row, row, row your boat

For our UK cruisers: Rule Britainia, Britania rules the waves

Wow, quite a variety of opinions here! Just to be clear to everyone, I do enjoy our balcony. I have had to wait in the room before for room service, or for family who are coming to our room, when I would have preferred to be on the balcony with my husband, enjoying the fresh air, views, conversation, etc. we could not hear the knocking on the door while on the balcony. My plan is to glue a magnet to the back of the button so that I can move it inside the room when I am not on the balcony. And I'm looking at a very small $ investment for this. Probably in the $20 range. I can easily place a post it note above the doorbell that says "please ring bell" or something similar.

I don't really understand why some of you seem to be offended that I would want something like this?!?!?! I will be getting one in the next few days for both of my up coming cruises. I would be happy to report back on how successful it was.

I'm looking forward to enjoying my balcony without feeling like I need to stay in my room waiting for a knock. (Oh, and why would a doorbell be worse than leaving your door open for anyone to pop in? No thanks!)

OP, I for one think your idea is a good one. Let us know how it works for you. I did a quick look on-line and you can pick these things up starting at less than $10. If you're worried about taking up too much space with the doorbell you could always leave behind the Lysol spray, the disinfectant wipes, the over-the-door shoe holder, the extra hangers and, of course, the huge roll of duck tape!:D

As for the negative responses, you have to realize that when it comes to cruising there are a lot of Luddites on this board. ;)

As for the negative responses, you have to realize that when it comes to cruising there are a lot of Luddites on this board. ;)

But only one who fully admits to being a Luddite and he didn't even chime in on this thread..;):D

Edited by iheartbda

Or the 5 note clip from Close Encounters

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My personal doorbell would be the theme from looney tunes...! :beer:

Sent from my Z30 using Forums mobile app

My personal doorbell would be the theme from looney tunes...! :beer:

My other choices would be the theme from Doctor Who or the Imperial March from Star Wars

My other choices would be the theme from Doctor Who or the Imperial March from Star Wars

Ya ya Dr who theme or the tardis sound....maybe even the SS

Wow, quite a variety of opinions here! Just to be clear to everyone, I do enjoy our balcony. I have had to wait in the room before for room service, or for family who are coming to our room, when I would have preferred to be on the balcony with my husband, enjoying the fresh air, views, conversation, etc. we could not hear the knocking on the door while on the balcony. My plan is to glue a magnet to the back of the button so that I can move it inside the room when I am not on the balcony. And I'm looking at a very small $ investment for this. Probably in the $20 range. I can easily place a post it note above the doorbell that says "please ring bell" or something similar.

I don't really understand why some of you seem to be offended that I would want something like this?!?!?! I will be getting one in the next few days for both of my up coming cruises. I would be happy to report back on how successful it was.

I'm looking forward to enjoying my balcony without feeling like I need to stay in my room waiting for a knock. (Oh, and why would a doorbell be worse than leaving your door open for anyone to pop in? No thanks!)

I think it is a cool idea. Sorry you've been subjected to such rudeness. CC did not used to be this way. :(

I think it is a cool idea. Sorry you've been subjected to such rudeness. CC did not used to be this way. :(

Agree, this site is about cruising...fun stuff....some people are just uptight, let them be and enjoy yourself!!!

The star trek theme would be kinda cool! Where no one has gone before.....

I'm looking for an inexpensive wireless doorbell. I'm planning to glue a magnet to the back of the button for outside the cabin door, and will carry the actual bell out on the balcony with me so I will hear when someone is at my door (room service, kids, other family, etc).

Has anyone else done this, and did it work well? Do you recommend a specific brand/model? Any problems?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Why. It is a holiday and the whole point is to relax. I guess if looking for a theme " I hear you knocking but you can't come in"

Edited by Folk Singer

Why. It is a holiday and the whole point is to relax. I guess if looking for a theme " I hear you knocking but you can't come in"

That is exactly the point. I want to relax on my balcony as much as possible. Not wait in my room waiting for the door to knock when I am expecting someone.

If I didn't have a balcony room, then there would be no point in having a doorbell. I am assuming all the snarky comments are from people who font typically get a balcony and therefore don't realize the benefit of a doorbell. Either that or they never call room service or have others meet them at their room.

I thought I'd chime in again.:p

Now OP not knock your idea but have you thought about having them call ahead?:cool:

Does that ring a bell?:eek::D

Call ahead? I like to occasionally order room service. They will typically give a time frame for the delivery. Personally I would rather spend the 15 to 30 minutes enjoying the fresh air outside, versus sitting in my room watching reruns of the various shows on the tv. Or, if I tell my son to come by after he finishes lunch, I don't want to stay by the phone or door waiting for him. I'd rather enjoy my balcony. After all, I have paid extra for the balcony, right? I should enjoy it as much as possible.

Just say in'. But, if it's not for you, I'm good with that too. I just want to cruise and relax.

I suppose you could leave a Post It note on the door saying you were on the balcony if you were expecting room service so they would know to knock loudly.

We flipped the extra lock back to keep the door cracked when we were "available to guests" so we didn't have get up to let family in.

If you try the doorbell, come back and let us know if it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by BullDawg91

I've never had trouble hearing someone knocking on the door when I'm sitting on the balcony; as long as you leave the door to the balcony open.

I don't know what ships you sail or the design of their doors but I have sailed on all but one of HAL's 15 current ships and each and everyone creates an incredible wind tunnel if verandah door is open and someone tries to open the cabin door. The Suites have the doors in line with each other and it becomes near impossible for both to be open on a moving ship. It is downright dangerous.