Excursion to Universal Studios from Port Canaveral

coconT2000

Frequent cruisers! I need your help! My family of 6 will be going on our very first cruise via Carnival Pride this coming April. My kids love Harry Potter and would love to go to Universal Studio, however, it will cost us almost $1,000 :( for all 6 of us if we book the excursion through Carnival. Any suggestions about taking car rental to Universal??? I am worried that we miss the ship if we go on our own excursion but the savings will be significant. Any advice/tips will be appreciated! Thank you!!!!

Edited by coconT2000

Frequent cruisers! I need your help! My family of 6 will be going on our very first cruise via Carnival Pride this coming April. My kids love Harry Potter and would love to go to Universal Studio, however, it will cost us almost $1,000 :( for all 6 of us if we book the excursion through Carnival. Any suggestions about taking car rental to Universal??? I am worried that we miss the ship if we go on our own excursion but the savings will be significant. Any advice/tips will be appreciated! Thank you!!!!

I'm not sure how much you consider "significant", because 1-day park-to-park tickets (there are fantastic Harry Potter sections in both parks now, and the Hogwarts Express train between them that requires a park-to-park ticket to experience) are $130-140 per person, so for a family of 6 that is over $800 already. If you decided to get Express Passes, that would take it up to almost $1300. (Although the EP do not help at the main HP attractions.)

Doing a search, it looks as if your port time is 7:00 am - 6:00 pm, is that correct? So if you exited the ship before 8, got a rental car, you could theoretically be at the gates by 9:00 - 9:30. But you would want to leave by 3:30 - 4:00 at the very latest, and even that would make me nervous.

We spent two and a half days at Universal in December and had a fantastic time. I can't even imagine trying to experience the parks in 6-7 hours. My recommendation would be to save it for a time you can stay longer, and without the pressure of worrying about making the ship.

Thanks Sue for your input! Because of time constraint, I don't think we will do the park-to-park tickets. We will most likely be buying single park tickets for 6 which will cost us $564. This is similar to what Carnival Pride excursion offers- trip to 1 park- Universal's Island of Adventure and it will cost us $995 through Carnival. That will be a $431 savings minus the cost of car rental. So maybe around $300 savings. Looks like you have been to many cruises so I know you have a lot of experience on this. We are at the port by 7:00am, so I am hoping if we rent a car we will be at the park early enough and be there for 5-6 hours and be back in time for the 6 pm departure. Just don't know how convenient it is renting/returning the car and driving to/from Universal.

Thanks! Connie

Thanks Sue for your input! Because of time constraint, I don't think we will do the park-to-park tickets. We will most likely be buying single park tickets for 6 which will cost us $564. This is similar to what Carnival Pride excursion offers- trip to 1 park- Universal's Island of Adventure and it will cost us $995 through Carnival. That will be a $431 savings minus the cost of car rental. So maybe around $300 savings. Looks like you have been to many cruises so I know you have a lot of experience on this. We are at the port by 7:00am, so I am hoping if we rent a car we will be at the park early enough and be there for 5-6 hours and be back in time for the 6 pm departure. Just don't know how convenient it is renting/returning the car and driving to/from Universal.

Thanks! Connie

I can't help you with the car rental details, sorry, but I do want to ask why you chose Islands of Adventure? Yes, IOA has Hogsmeade, with the Forbidden Journey ride, but Universal Studios has Diagon Alley now, and it is an incredible experience. The Escape from Gringotts ride is amazing, and it is the immersive experience of the entire area that is so much fun. The entrance is just nondescript brick, but then you pass through the portal and feel as if you have entered somewhere magical -- because you have! And while I understand the budget constraints, it is a shame you will not be able to ride Hogwarts Express. Even the Kings Cross Station walkthrough is so well done.

Anyway, I wish you luck, and if I had to choose one park it would be Universal Studios!

I can't help you with the car rental details, sorry, but I do want to ask why you chose Islands of Adventure? Yes, IOA has Hogsmeade, with the Forbidden Journey ride, but Universal Studios has Diagon Alley now, and it is an incredible experience. The Escape from Gringotts ride is amazing, and it is the immersive experience of the entire area that is so much fun. The entrance is just nondescript brick, but then you pass through the portal and feel as if you have entered somewhere magical -- because you have! And while I understand the budget constraints, it is a shame you will not be able to ride Hogwarts Express. Even the Kings Cross Station walkthrough is so well done.

Anyway, I wish you luck, and if I had to choose one park it would be Universal Studios!

That's even better, you answered my question (without me even asking:)) which one will be the better park. I was discussing the parks with my girls earlier. We are still undecided between Universal Studios vs. IOA but your feedback about the parks are extremely helpful. So most likely we will go to Universal Studios (this is not what Carnival Pride offers-the trip is to IOA). We want to do 3 shore excursions (Universal, Atlantis and Dolphin Encounter) so the cost is quickly adding up, that is why I am trying to find ways to save :)

Thanks again!

I'm sure you will want to confirm, but you should be able to pick which park you go to, even on the Carnival excursion.

It's not like Disney, where buses drop off at individual parks. The bus Dropoff is at CityWalk, and the two parks are both accessed by walking from there. In fact, Universal Studios is a slightly shorter walk than IOA.

And the tickets don't specify which park, it's just either single park or park- to-park.

As you said, it would be cheaper to do it on your own, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of how they are set up. So if you wanted to do the excursion for peace of mind, you could still choose US over IOA.

in addition to the amazing Diagon Alley, US has a lot of other fun attractions, too. Despicable Me, Transformers, the Mummy, Rip Ride Rock It, the fun and campy Simpsons area, and some good restaurants. You'll have a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Let me add a few more details for you to consider before you make your ultimate decision. If you rent your own vehicle, verify to see if they will pick you and your family from the port as there are no car rentals at the port itself (unless this changed since the last time I was there). If not, then you will need to take a cab for both ways. Also, if there are car rental companies that will pick you up at the port to take you at their car depot, consider if they will only take you... If they only take you, then you will need to drive back to the port to pick up the rest of your family.

If you still decide to rental car, think about other costs like fuel, gps rental (if needed), parking at Universal (approx. $20.00), taxi (if needed).

Another item to consider while visiting Universal: although, you have not mentioned the age/height of your kids, have you verified the height restrictions on some of the attractions you may want to do? I would not want you to go at the park and one or more of you cannot ride Harry Potter. This would be a big disappointment for sure.

Enjoy your cruise!!

I dont want to put a damper on your plans. My expierence with Universal, Disney, etc. Is it takes the better part of a day at the park to enjoy it. You are planning on spending a lot of money for a very short time. Heres what I see as the disadvantages. Lets say your off the ship at 730am. Give yourself a half hour to lease your vehicle, then an hour and fifteen minutes to drive to Universal, arriving at 915am. This is if there are no delays on the Beachline and I-4. Traffic going south on I-4 can get very conjested on weekdays.If the ship leaves at 6pm you will have to be back on board by 530pm. You will have to leave Universal at 345pm to get back, return you vechile and return to the ship. Inside the park you could encounter long lines that seem to move like snails, taking up lots of you time.

The biggest problem to me is getting back to the ship with little time to spare. If the Beachline has a traffic jam theres no alternate route. The ship wont wait for you. What ever you deciede to do, have a great cruise. If you go to Universal your kids will love it.

Thank you Sue, CruisingDaddy and scrufy for your additional inputs! There's a lot to think about before we make the decision on this excursion. This is not a cheap excursion so we want to make sure it is all worth it considering there is limited time at the park. Any other suggestions for excursion at the Port Canaveral area that we will not feel so rushed? We are first time cruisers so we want to make sure we are making the right choices. I do love this forum, I am learning a lot! Thanks in advance for all your additional tips and info!!!

You will NOT have time to do much of anything in Universal on a "day trip:...you should plan on about 3 full days there...

Jeez..it can take more than 30 min. just to get from the parking lot INTO the actual park...save this for an actual vacation to Universal or Disney.....you'll be wasting all that money for very little return.

All the rentals around the port have shuttles, will pick up and drop off your group (inside regular operating hours) and are within 10 minutes of the terminals. Choices are: enterprise, national, Alamo, dollar, thrift, avis, hertz, budget and payless. Just be sure you get the Cape Canaveral or Cocoa Beach location depending on the company. Cars can be had for under $50 for the day

other things to do - renting a car IS your best way to get around the area as our public transportation is kinda weak. OTOH it is HARD to get lost . . .

Kennedy Space Center

https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/the-experience.aspx

Brevard Zoo - a nice little zoo, good for half a day or more - a nonprofit organization. Has a zip-line/adventure course adjacent.

https://brevardzoo.org/

Airboat rides to see 'gators and the like

http://www.airboatridesatmidway.com/

http://www.twisterairboatrides.com/

dolphin/manatee spotting nature cruise

http://spacecoastdolphintours.com/ca...area-map-find/

http://www.groupon.com/biz/cocoa-bea...radise-tours-2

{others too, google it}

Eco tour kayak - manatee spotting

http://kayakcocoabeach.com/

{others too, google it}

Historic Cocoa Village - eclectic shops and cafes

http://visitcocoavillage.com/

free manatee spotting

http://www.cityofcapecanaveral.org/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={61D4D3CB-D4FE-428A-9F29-B26957B5B809}

more manatee, nature drive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Haulover_Canal

RON JON!

http://www.ronjonsurfshop.com/locati...x?LocationId=7

I would also recommend doing it another time when you have more time to allow you to fully enjoy the park as others have recommended. We are annual pass holders and we typically arrive at park a little before opening and only stay 3-4 hours before the lines get out of control, easily 45 minutes to 1.5 hours per attraction for the popular ones. You have no way of knowing what groups may also be showing up that day. Many times we have arrived to find school groups, cheer groups, and others arriving by the bus load which makes trying to navigate the park that much slower. Express passes would definitely be worth the money if you do try to do it with your time constraints.

You didn't mention the age of the kids in your group, but we always have an age range between 8-16 and our favorite is Islands of Adventure.

To echo what a few others here have already said:

Cape Canaveral to Orlando to do Universal and/or Islands,,, just watch your time. Traffic in/around Orlando is chaotic at times, I-4 is busy, east/west, and the turnpike area is pretty busy, something to keep in mind.

The waits for the rides can be as others have said, 45 minutes to well over an hour. Diagon Alley is imo, the better of the 2. Hogsmeade is nice, yes, but Diagon nails it if you're a Harry Potter fan. However, if you don't pay for 2 park passes, you can't ride the Hogwart's Express.

Also, last few times we were there, couple months, Escape from Gringotts broke down quite often. I think at one point we were in line for over 2 hours (fortunately there was WiFi available to tide my patience) and it broke down at least 4 times, maybe 5. That significantly increases the wait time, especially for a ride that takes 5-6 minutes.

The Leaky Cauldron (restaurant) and Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour are fabulous. But Florean's is tiny, tiny, and often has a line. The dragon on top of Gringotts's breathes fire every 10 minutes, if you miss it, just wait a few minutes. If you buy a wand for your kids, there are places around Diagon that are interactive with the wands, which is quite fun!

If you have a smart phone, try to use an app like Waze to keep on top of traffic between Universal & Cape Canaveral (the beechline). If you take the turnpike and don't have enough change and end up running it, it doesn't cost more than the turnpike would've cost you anyway. Florida doesn't mail huge expensive tickets or sick the cops on you for that. Not encouraging it, but accidents happen. As Douglas Adams said, Don't Panic!

I will freely admit to being a worrywart but I would not consider doing the rental car to Universal. Carefully check how much the total of doing it on your own (car, gas, tickets, parking, etc.) will cost in comparison to the Carnival excursion. For a few extra dollars, the security that the ship will wait for you if delayed would be worth it for me. Missing the ship could easily mean the end of your cruise.

If you are looking for something to do at Port Canaveral instead of Universal, then I suggest Kennedy Space Center. It is much cheaper, closer, you can see a great deal of it in one day; and you might be able to get a cab to and from (you would probably have to arrange for a pick up with the cab company - i don't know if it will be easy to get one to return to the pier).

As others have said,you are cutting too close,time wise.The traffic in Orlando can be horrendous.There is always construction on the I-4 and you can easily end up in a traffic jam.

Not to mention that April is a busy time at the parks.Lots of spring break people.Frankly,I would save the money you were going to spend and put it towards a separate trip to Orlando where you can plan the park outings at your own speed.