Trains in Europe?

mom23guys

I guess what I was looking for was some more specifics about the luggage storage, how high is the step up into the train, are there elevators down to the track level? Some people did help in this way. I wasn't aware that European trains didn't have luggage cars like the Alaska RR does(our only experience with independent rail travel)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wasn't aware that European trains didn't have luggage cars like the Alaska RR does(our only experience with independent rail travel)

Countries in Europe are so close to one another than European citizens approach travel completely differently. They take multiple short trips rather than extended trips. They simply don't need a big suitcase that holds lots of clothes. (Factor in the small size of many European homes. Smaller closets -- or in some cases wardrobes where there are no closets in historic buildings -- and the people simply own a smaller wardrobe.)

Europeans don't approach travel the way US citizens do. They don't have a big ocean to cross before start their trips. For US citizens, the effort involved in trans-Atlantic travel, means it would be unusual for us to travel to Europe for a week-long trip. (I'm talking leisure travel here. Not business travel.)

If you start by understanding the different way Europeans live and travel, you'll begin to understand why...

.... many train stations do not have escalators or elevators to get people from the different tracks down to the tunnels that safely allow them to get to the main station.

... trains, especially regional trains, make few if any provisions to hold large suitcases.

There's certainly no requirement that anyone use the train system to vacation in Europe. But once you make the decision to do so, you'll be a more relaxed traveler if you pack in a way that minimizes the hassle factor.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Most/all of the trains have luggage racks at each end of the cars. I brought a bicycle combination cable lock to attach the luggage together to the rack.

It is really important to have some method of securing your bags on the trains. On our first day in Rome going from the airport to Rome a guy walked down the aisle of our carriage and I put my leg over my bag. My DH rolled his eyes and said I was so paranoid.

At the next stop the same guy got off the train at the other end of our carriage carrying 2 bags. As the train pulled out and we watched the guy walking down the platform one of the passengers started swearing. They were his and his wife's bags! There was nothing he could do about it.

All through Rome we saw people with clothes spread out around them on the sidewalks selling them.

My DH is just as paranoid as me now : )

We don't do a lot of train travel because we hire a car where we can but from what I've seen there are lots of stairs in European train stations. You have to be prepared to carry your own bags.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by paddingtonbear

It is really important to have some method of securing your bags on the trains. On our first day in Rome going from the airport to Rome a guy walked down the aisle of our carriage and I put my leg over my bag. My DH rolled his eyes and said I was so paranoid.

At the next stop the same guy got off the train at the other end of our carriage carrying 2 bags. As the train pulled out and we watched the guy walking down the platform one of the passengers started swearing. They were his and his wife's bags! There was nothing he could do about it.

All through Rome we saw people with clothes spread out around them on the sidewalks selling them.

My DH is just as paranoid as me now : )

We don't do a lot of train travel because we hire a car where we can but from what I've seen there are lots of stairs in European train stations. You have to be prepared to carry your own bags.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I completely agree. When we are on a European train, especially in countries like Italy or Spain, i never leave my luggage where I can't keep an eye on it.

I completely agree. When we are on a European train, especially in countries like Italy or Spain, i never leave my luggage where I can't keep an eye on it.

Any country I would say. Trains between Amsterdam airport to Centraal have a rather bad reputation due to pickpockers but also guys leaving the train last minute at stops. Yes often with belongings from others. Keeping an eye on your belongings isnot always enough.

Nightrains to/from other european countries have the same problems from time to time.

Edited by Ine