Got away on the GETAWAY!

eroller

So Ernie, RCI are about to scrap 'Dynamic Dining' and replace it on 'Anthem' with 'rotational dining'.

How does NCL Freestyle dining (on Getaway) compare to 'Dynamic' on Quantum?

thanks

My experience with Dynamic Dining on QUANTUM was excellent. Apparently I'm in the minority with that assessment. Since I was on the maiden crossing the ship was not booked to capacity on purpose, and perhaps that is a reason why. There were no lines and my food & service were excellent. In fact I found the restaurants so beautiful and the cuisine so good it felt like I was dining in a speciality restaurant every night. It was the best complimentary dining experience I've ever had on Royal Caribbean, period.

In the past I've had nightmare experiences with Freestyle on NCL. Very poor food quality, indifferent service, and long waits. That wasn't the case at all with GETAWAY, and if my experience on GETAWAY is typical of NCL & Freestyle today then I am a fan. I enjoyed excellent cuisine on GETAWAY along with the service that accompanied it. I never had to wait either.

Overall I would say the experiences were on par with each other, although the dining spaces on QUANTUM were stunning and hard to top. They are attractive on GETAWAY as well but a bit more generic compared to the themed spaces on QUANTUM. I felt a lot of thought was put into the entire dining concept on QUANTUM from the decor down to the matching menus and cuisine. I hate to see them scrap the idea because it has a lot of potential. Technology plays a big role in the success of Dynamic Dining, from the reservations system to the tablets used by the wait staff, and this might also be the demise of Dynamic Dining. The technology just wasn't up to the task, at least based upon what I have read. Personally I had no issues.

So based on my experience I would say I was equally happy with both!

I stand corrected: RCI say that 'Dynamic' is being augmented, with 'rotational' being added and NOT scrapped.

However it does sound like a U-turn to me!

Royal Caribbean is not giving up on Dynamic Dining, just adding the "classic" option to it which will be a rotational concept like Disney. So they continue to tweak until they get it right, which is the right thing to do. When you're an innovator like Royal Caribbean, all the ideas and concepts don't always work as planned, but at least they are willing to try.

I do think they risk making the simple pleasure of dining a bit too complicated with all these changes and tweaks. Also right now they have different concepts on different ships and that is also confusing to the consumer. In that regard NCL has it right. Freestyle is a simple concept, and at least on GETAWAY it worked like a charm.

Thank you for the review. My family and I just booked the Getaway for next January. I've been a little nervous about what to expect. My other cruise was on the RCCL Mariner of the Seas and I loved it. I would have sailed with RCCL again but we just couldn't pass up the Kids Sail Free promo. We will be with two boys 9 & 11. First cruise for them. I've been trying to get them excited. Now that I have your amazing pictures I am sure that will help. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on RCCL versus NCL.

Thank you again.

Thank you for the review. My family and I just booked the Getaway for next January. I've been a little nervous about what to expect. My other cruise was on the RCCL Mariner of the Seas and I loved it. I would have sailed with RCCL again but we just couldn't pass up the Kids Sail Free promo. We will be with two boys 9 & 11. First cruise for them. I've been trying to get them excited. Now that I have your amazing pictures I am sure that will help. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on RCCL versus NCL.

Thank you again.

I'll be honest I love Royal Caribbean and I'm Diamond with them. They have a great past passenger program, amazing entertainment, and extremely innovative ships. They really push the envelope with the WOW factor.

Up until the GETAWAY I didn't put NCL in the same league as Royal Caribbean, but all that changed after this cruise. What I saw on GETAWAY was the same level of innovation and detail that I have come to love on Royal Caribbean ships. The added bonus was a highly motivated crew and staff that really enhanced the overall experience. I've never seen the level of officer interaction and visibility that I witnessed on GETAWAY on any ship, let alone Royal Caribbean. Also the entertainment and variety of dining options were up to the level of most Royal Caribbean ships (Oasis Class excluded).

I still feel the Oasis Class are in a league of their own and are an amazing experience, but surprisingly the GETAWAY stacked up quite well.

I think you will have a great time and your kids are going to love GETAWAY!

I'll be honest I love Royal Caribbean and I'm Diamond with them. They have a great past passenger program, amazing entertainment, and extremely innovative ships. They really push the envelope with the WOW factor.

Up until the GETAWAY I didn't put NCL in the same league as Royal Caribbean, but all that changed after this cruise. What I saw on GETAWAY was the same level of innovation and detail that I have come to love on Royal Caribbean ships. The added bonus was a highly motivated crew and staff that really enhanced the overall experience. I've never seen the level of officer interaction and visibility that I witnessed on GETAWAY on any ship, let alone Royal Caribbean. Also the entertainment and variety of dining options were up to the level of most Royal Caribbean ships (Oasis Class excluded).

I still feel the Oasis Class are in a league of their own and are an amazing experience, but surprisingly the GETAWAY stacked up quite well.

Oh good. Glad to hear from someone who has experienced both. I'm yet to experience the larger new ships on RCCL. We were on the Mariner of the Seas. From what I understand the Getaway may be a little bigger. We also scored the Unlimited Dining package for the Getaway so I look forward to trying the many specialty dining options onboard. I hear we have manny to pick from. hmmm may need a bigger cabin by the end of the week...

Which ship felt more crowded; Quantum or Getaway

They were both pretty much the same except for GETAWAY's pool deck which was very crowded. To be fair though I did a transatlantic crossing on QUANTUM so the pool deck never really got used as the weather was too cold. QUANTUM has a wonderful glass covered indoor pool and a beautiful Solarium overlooking the bow, so I give her the advantage in cold weather cruising over the Breakaway Class.

Oh good. Glad to hear from someone who has experienced both. I'm yet to experience the larger new ships on RCCL. We were on the Mariner of the Seas. From what I understand the Getaway may be a little bigger. We also scored the Unlimited Dining package for the Getaway so I look forward to trying the many specialty dining options onboard. I hear we have manny to pick from. hmmm may need a bigger cabin by the end of the week...

Lots and lots of fantastic dining options on GETAWAY. Some really beautiful restaurants with great menus! You will be eating very well your week onboard, that is for sure!

They were both pretty much the same except for GETAWAY's pool deck which was very crowded. To be fair though I did a transatlantic crossing on QUANTUM so the pool deck never really got used as the weather was too cold. QUANTUM has a wonderful glass covered indoor pool and a beautiful Solarium overlooking the bow, so I give her the advantage in cold weather cruising over the Breakaway Class.

Thank you very much for the reply.

I've been reading about NCL on Carnival site. So many negatives. As I read this post, it makes sense. Many said they'd not do NCL again:( Most quoted other ships. My NCL experiences has only been 2, but the last was Getaway. I agree with what you wrote and it's true about officer interractions. I think those naysayers might feel quite differently if they saw this ship. This ship is in it's own class:)

I've been reading about NCL on Carnival site. So many negatives. As I read this post, it makes sense. Many said they'd not do NCL again:( Most quoted other ships. My NCL experiences has only been 2, but the last was Getaway. I agree with what you wrote and it's true about officer interractions. I think those naysayers might feel quite differently if they saw this ship. This ship is in it's own class:)

I wouldn't worry too much about what Carnival passengers think of NCL. I'm Platinum with Carnival but pretty much have written them off. GETAWAY was light years ahead of anything Carnival has or has in the works. I had a look at the new CARNIVAL VISTA. It's more people stuffed into the same basic platform that is now 20 years old (Destiny). Carnival actually removed the lower level of the show lounge and also the aft secondary lounge and replaced them both with cabins. They also removed the atrium and two of the elevators. So more people in less space. I think Carnival is getting beyond greedy, and they lack any innovation or finesse in anything they do. The entertainment I experienced on the BREEZE was some of the worst I've ever seen. A total of six performers. I felt sorry for them. High School productions are more professional. Compare to the GETAWAY which is a new state of the art design with an exceptional dining concept (Freestyle) and top notch entertainment (Broadway productions & dinner theater concepts), and it's easy to see why the new ships of NCL leave Carnival in the dust!

That was such a nice and informative review. I like the difference you brought from each ship you talk about and especially the Getaway.

We are thinking of doing a cruise in March and had seen a good price for the Getaway but wasn't sure as my last experience on the Ncl a Sun left me quite disapointed with the NCL product.

Simply by reading your very condense and precise email we are in the process of booking this cruise.

Our first week looks like it's going to be MSC Divinia and second week NCL Getaway.

Will let you know if we book it as this is all your fault lol lol.

Thanks again

Sea ya

Eric

TBA March 2015

Island Princess Oct2014

Golden Princess & Grand Princess Sep2014

Cunard Queen Elisabeth Jun2014

Golden Princess May2014

Royal Princess Jan 2014

Caribbean Princess Feb 2013

Carnival Liberty Nov2012

Hal Westerdam March2012

Ruby Princess Nov2010

Sapphire Princess Sep2010

Rccl Adventure Of The Seas April 2010

Carnival Miracle Feb2010

Rccl Oassis of the Seas Feb2010

Rccl Majesty of the Seas Nov2009

Rccl Navigator of Seas Sep2009

Hal Westerdam Nov&Dec2008

Caribbean Princess Nov2007

Sea Princess Nov&Dec 2006

Diamond Princess Apr2005

Rccl Navigator Dec2004

NCL SUN Nov2004

Visit of QM2 Oct2004

Carnival Victory Nov2003

Golden Princess Apr2003

Celebrity Mercury Nov2002

Carnival Elation Nov2001

NCL SKY Nov2000

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Isn't Carnival a lot less expensive than NCL / RCI / Princess.....?

I think they are priced fairly competitively. The newest NCL ships might be a bit more. Carnival & NCL are direct competitors and both are considered mass-market cruise lines. Personally I feel the Breakaway Class ships of NCL are worth paying substantially more than anything Carnival has to offer, but that is just me. More than just the bottom line price, I try to look at the overall value and experience and feel NCL's Breakaway Class has Carnival beat by a long shot.

Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Isn't Carnival a lot less expensive than NCL / RCI / Princess.....?

You can't always go by price. I believe in many cases NCL has a less expensive cruise fare in comparison to RCI, but offers an equivalent or even superior product in the opinion of many. I saw a post recently about the fact that a Haven suite could be had on NCL for the price of a balcony I believe it was on RCI.

Edited by punkincc

That was such a nice and informative review. I like the difference you brought from each ship you talk about and especially the Getaway.

We are thinking of doing a cruise in March and had seen a good price for the Getaway but wasn't sure as my last experience on the Ncl a Sun left me quite disapointed with the NCL product.

Simply by reading your very condense and precise email we are in the process of booking this cruise.

Our first week looks like it's going to be MSC Divinia and second week NCL Getaway.

Will let you know if we book it as this is all your fault lol lol.

Thanks again

Sea ya

Eric

Thanks so much Eric! I see I'm in the hot seat now but I'm pretty confident you will love GETAWAY. I'm not as confident about MSC DIVINA. I have a review of her (with tons of pics like GETAWAY) floating around Cruise Critic somewhere. There are some really great aspects to the DIVINA experience, and some not so much. I got severely ill after my cruise on her so that left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. None the less the ship itself is quite lovely (decor is not really my taste but that is ok) but the software (food, service, organization) could use some help.

I hope you enjoy both cruises, and I'm a little jealous as I've never disembarked one ship and embarked on another in the same day. I've always wanted to do that!

You can't always go by price. I believe in many cases NCL has a less expensive cruise fare in comparison to RCI, but offers an equivalent or even superior product in the opinion of many. I saw a post recently about the fact that a Haven suite could be had on NCL for the price of a balcony I believe it was on RCI.

I agree. More than price alone it's what floats your boat.

For me the only thing Carnival really has going for it is price. I'm not interested in the price leader. I want innovation and a great product at a terrific value, and I think NCL's new ships can deliver that.

Hello:

Your review is really good, especially the way you've compared the ships b/w cruise companies. Just a note, we were on the same cruise on Getaway, which was our 2'nd cruise. Our first cruise was on NCl Star, a few yrs ago, & although that's an older ship, as a vegetarian, I found better food choices on that ship. Although smaller ship, that too had many activities. In fact the same team, Hotel director, Sean, Restaurant manager Gonsalves, etc were on Star. They had exactly same level of personal interaction with the guests. In fact, I was told the same team is going to start the restaurants on Escape when it starts sailing, so another reason for you to sail on Escape & if you do we'll look for your wonderful review!!

In fact the same team, Hotel director, Sean, Restaurant manager Gonsalves, etc were on Star. They had exactly same level of personal interaction with the guests. In fact, I was told the same team is going to start the restaurants on Escape when it starts sailing, so another reason for you to sail on Escape & if you do we'll look for your wonderful review!!

Glad you enjoyed the review! Sean told me that the current plan is for him and much of his team to head to ESCAPE. I'm already booked on the maiden crossing in October and I do plan on writing another review and taking lots of pics!! The only negative is there will be little opportunity to take exterior pics of the ship. No ports. LOL I do love the hull art on ESCAPE. Currently GETAWAY has my favorite hull art, but ESCAPE may surpass it.