Hilton garden inn secaucus

cowetamom

We are considering booking the Hilton Garden Inn at Secaucus/Meadowlands. Trying to use our Hilton points and save a little money. My question-is this a relatively safe area and how would you reommend us getting to the Manhatten terminal on Sunday. I have never been to New York and am just starting my research. Feeling very out of my element as we are from Oklahoma and usually cruise out of Galveston and New Orleans. I appreciate any help we can get. Cruising to Bermuda on NCL Sept 13, 2015.

Thanks

The area is safe, but the hotel is surrounded by a tangle of highways, so not in a very physically attractive location.

I assume you're flying into EWR. The problem with staying at this hotel is it's so far from the airport that it doesn't offer free transfers. You'll have to take a taxi...probably costing $50-$60 after factoring in tolls and tip. Then from the hotel to the cruise port you'll need another taxi...another $50- $60 or more. Of course you'll have to arrange for transportation back to EWR after the cruise, but you'd have to do that anyway.

When are you flying in? Do you want to do any sightseeing in NY City or are you just looking for a place to sleep for one night before the cruise? If you're just staying for one night with no sightseeing plans you may want to consider a hotel in the Newark Airport area. Virtually all provide free shuttle service between the airport and the hotel. Since you have Hilton points have you looked at the Newark Penn Station Hilton? It's connected by enclosed skywalk to Newark Penn Station where you can take an inexpensive ($5 per adult...less for senior citizens) NJ Transit train to NY Penn Station on the day of your cruise, followed by an inexpensive ($12-$15) taxi ride from there to the cruise terminal. Even if the hotel is more expensive, you'll save significantly on transportation.

Are you flying into Newark? If so you should try to use your points at a Newark Airport hotel where you will have a free hotel shuttle. Otherwise you will pay for a taxi/car service to Secaucus ($50 ish) and possibly another $55-65 to the Manhattan Cruise terminal. Train or bus plus a cab are also options from either Newark or Secaucus to get to the Manhattan Cruise terminal.

Yes we are flying into Newark on the Saturday before. I haven't booked yet since Southwest hasn't opened their flights up. We probably won't have time to sightsee so just a hotel for the night would be fine. I am checking into the Newark Penn Station Hilton to see if have enough points for that one. Thank you so much for the information. If we do the train as you suggest, is it a pain with our luggage?

Also, what do you suggest for transportation back to the airport on the Sunday we get back from the cruise?

Yes we are flying into Newark on the Saturday before. I haven't booked yet since Southwest hasn't opened their flights up. We probably won't have time to sightsee so just a hotel for the night would be fine. I am checking into the Newark Penn Station Hilton to see if have enough points for that one. Thank you so much for the information. If we do the train as you suggest, is it a pain with our luggage?

Also, what do you suggest for transportation back to the airport on the Sunday we get back from the cruise?

Luggage on a Sunday morning on NJ Transit shouldn't be a problem. The only pain will be getting upstairs from the track level in NY Penn Station.

Easiest, but most expensive way back to EWR after your cruise will be either a car service or taxi . Figure on it costing about $80-$90 including tolls and tip.

Cheaper but less convenient is to take a taxi from the cruise pier to Port Authority Bus Terminal (about $10) and then a Coach USA/Olympia Trails airport express bus to EWR, at $16 per person.

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

A little less convenient is to take a taxi back to NY Penn Station (about $15), then NJ Transit to Newark Airport Station...not Newark Penn Station...($12.50 per person including AirTrain fee) then AirTrain to your airline terminal.

Edited by njhorseman

The Newark Airport Hilton and the Doubletree are Hilton properties where you might be able to use points.

All the train platforms in New York Penn Station have escalators and elevators. Just let all the other passengers go ahead of you and then look for a convenient way up with luggage.

I just went through Newark Penn Station with two rolling bags last week. It took a bit to find the elevator, but it was there.

So let me ask another question. Do you think it's better to stay near the cruise port or stay near the airport. Which would be the lessor of two evils and not cost us an arm and a leg in transportation?

Well, at some lint, you will incur cost to travel from NJ to NY. A NJ hotel is going to be less expensive than one in the city. If you don't plan on sight seeing, I'd stay at a airport hotel with a free shuttle, and then take a car service to the pier.

You are going to have to pay for a certain amount of transportation. Train from Newark Airport to NY Penn Station is $12.50/pp plus about $15 cab fare to the port. Airport bus to Port Authority bus terminal is $16/pp and $28 round trip plus about $10 to the port. Car service is more. These are expenses you are going to have to pay.

Your date will be in the middle of NY Fashion Week, so NYC hotel prices are around $300.

First question is whether you can use points at all for a room and where that room is. As far as I can tell your options at Newark Airport are the airport Hilton, the Newark Penn Station Hilton, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn, and the Doubletree. These are all acceptable. I have no idea what might be available in NYC.

Post back when you know your other options using points. We have already told you it would cost $55-60 for a car service to the Hilton Gardens in Secaucus plus a similar amount to get to the port.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Sarah for your post - and thanks in advance to everyone offering great advice. I have the same questions - traveling to Newark airport - deciding on staying in NYC the night before we sail or Newark Hilton ( or Hampton or doubletree - using points etc ..). Trying to decide the best transfers ( and by best I mean safe, affordable and as hassle free as possible ). Traveling with 2 kids ages 6&8 and lots of luggage. Cruising on the Norwegian Breakaway sailing Sept 27-Oct 4. We are flying into Newark On Saturday sept 26 arriving about 6pm. Not looking to sight see in the city that night ( we will stay in time square 2 nites post cruise). Just want quick easy access straight to Manhattan cruise terminal Sunday am. I reading reviews on those 4 Hilton brand hotels - I'll narrow down before I ask my questions and repost then.....(just don't want to have to try to find this thread again)

But I am curious if you can clarify so I know what each is ...

**the Penn station "train" is that a train or a subway or a lightrail(monorail)? Is it the same or different as Amtrak? This is the one that is $5 or so correct? this will take me into Manhattan where I can grab a cab for $15/2o to he cruise terminal?

**Then the NJ transit "train- is this train or subway or other? this is $2.50 or so? Where does this drop off in NY and what transportation do I find Next?

Which one is the safest? The least transfers along the way? Also- do either have a place for luggage (2 large suitcases+2medium suitcases+ 4 backpacks)

I have also looked into the coach usa bus $16 pp/$28 rt ( kids for free) , I know those they store luggage underneath and I believe it's a straight shot from the airport to the city and then a cab ride? So in this case would we take the hotel shuttle back to airport Sunday morning .... Catch the bus..... Do we get off at Penn station? Or Port authority and cab from there ? Which is best /closest location to cruise port? :confused:

Also coming back to Newark from city- a cab to Penn station from hotel and then back on one of these options to airport? I'm thinking the bus might be the best option (luggage and safety wise tagging kids along)?

I apologize for all the questions .... I travel a lot but usually have a car and we just drive .......never been to a port like this in a big city where driving isn't the main way to go ...... I'm from Phx,AZ....we don't have trains and subways etc ....so this is all new and very foreign to me ... Making it difficult to pick a hotel pre cruise. :eek:

Thank you again!!! Sarah's questions were mine exactly!! ( and this was a current thread - not outdated from years ago! ).

Very helpful!!!!:D

Thanks Sarah for your post - and thanks in advance to everyone offering great advice. I have the same questions - traveling to Newark airport - deciding on staying in NYC the night before we sail or Newark Hilton ( or Hampton or doubletree - using points etc ..). Trying to decide the best transfers ( and by best I mean safe, affordable and as hassle free as possible ). Traveling with 2 kids ages 6&8 and lots of luggage. Cruising on the Norwegian Breakaway sailing Sept 27-Oct 4. We are flying into Newark On Saturday sept 26 arriving about 6pm. Not looking to sight see in the city that night ( we will stay in time square 2 nites post cruise). Just want quick easy access straight to Manhattan cruise terminal Sunday am. I reading reviews on those 4 Hilton brand hotels - I'll narrow down before I ask my questions and repost then.....(just don't want to have to try to find this thread again)

But I am curious if you can clarify so I know what each is ...

**the Penn station "train" is that a train or a subway or a lightrail(monorail)? Is it the same or different as Amtrak? This is the one that is $5 or so correct? this will take me into Manhattan where I can grab a cab for $15/2o to he cruise terminal?

**Then the NJ transit "train- is this train or subway or other? this is $2.50 or so? Where does this drop off in NY and what transportation do I find Next?

Which one is the safest? The least transfers along the way? Also- do either have a place for luggage (2 large suitcases+2medium suitcases+ 4 backpacks)

I have also looked into the coach usa bus $16 pp/$28 rt ( kids for free) , I know those they store luggage underneath and I believe it's a straight shot from the airport to the city and then a cab ride? So in this case would we take the hotel shuttle back to airport Sunday morning .... Catch the bus..... Do we get off at Penn station? Or Port authority and cab from there ? Which is best /closest location to cruise port? :confused:

Also coming back to Newark from city- a cab to Penn station from hotel and then back on one of these options to airport? I'm thinking the bus might be the best option (luggage and safety wise tagging kids along)?

I apologize for all the questions .... I travel a lot but usually have a car and we just drive .......never been to a port like this in a big city where driving isn't the main way to go ...... I'm from Phx,AZ....we don't have trains and subways etc ....so this is all new and very foreign to me ... Making it difficult to pick a hotel pre cruise. :eek:

Thank you again!!! Sarah's questions were mine exactly!! ( and this was a current thread - not outdated from years ago! ).

Very helpful!!!!:D

Things haven't changed much.

1) The $5 train is a NJTransit commuter train which goes from Newark Penn Station to NY Penn Station. The $2.50 train (now $2.75) is PATH which goes from Newark Penn Station to 33rd &6th with an across the track transfer at Journal Square. This is like a subway. You would have to hail a cab on the street.

2). Safety is not a concern. There is some walking involved with each option. There is no luggage storage on the train except some overhead shelves which could be OK for backpacks. The commuter trains have wide open areas near the doors.

3). For the bus you take the hotel shuttle back to the airport. You may get dropped off at the P4 Airtrain station and have to ride the free Airtrain to a terminal to catch the airport bus. You want to get off at Port Authority Bus terminal (street level drop off) where you would walk to 8th Ave to hail a cab.

Could you be more specific about your safety concerns? My instincts think you would be happier staying at the Doubletree at the airport because of the lobby pool area for the kids. On a Sunday morning it might be possible to have the hotel shuttle drop you off at any terminal rather than the P4 Airtrain station. Traffic is low on a Sunday morning, so bus into Manhattan should not have traffic issues. You get dropped off on the street level and should be able to get a cab or walk around the corner to 8th Ave where there is a cab stand in front of the Port Authority Bus terminal. Overall I think you would feel more comfortable than staying in a downtown Newark hotel.

To the OP you mentioned traveling with two youngsters age 6 and 8 and lots of luggage. Only you know if you can trust the kids to stay close by your side while walking in a busy urban environment. At the Bus Terminal area there are always a cast of characters hanging around and they like to engage strangers in conversations. Just ignore them.

Thank you both for the info! It is much appreciated. The kids will be fine staying near us in that sense - they are well traveled (11 countries to date):p

My concern is trying to handle 4 suitcases with lots of transfers having the kids with us -... Just becomes a lot of work. ( we are used to grabbing a taxi or rental car and going directly to our destination). Newark/NY just seems different than what we are used to. We don't have these types of public transportation here in Az. So it is very new and foreign to us ( even just in terminology - train, Amtrak, subway, commuter train etc .... They all sound the same to me :eek:). My safety concern is just going to an area we know nothing about and ending up in the wrong part of town at night with the kids when we arrive. I just like to get as much info as possible to make good decisions. The least transfers, most direct mode is the best with kiddos. Thank you again!!!

What is your target budget/room and how many rooms do you need? Do you have a target area you would like to reach before stopping for the night? What exact date would you be doing this?

I'm not familiar with the Orange and Rockland county areas, so perhaps others will have suggestions.

Thank you both for the info! It is much appreciated. The kids will be fine staying near us in that sense - they are well traveled (11 countries to date):p

My concern is trying to handle 4 suitcases with lots of transfers having the kids with us -... Just becomes a lot of work. ( we are used to grabbing a taxi or rental car and going directly to our destination). Newark/NY just seems different than what we are used to. We don't have these types of public transportation here in Az. So it is very new and foreign to us ( even just in terminology - train, Amtrak, subway, commuter train etc .... They all sound the same to me :eek:). My safety concern is just going to an area we know nothing about and ending up in the wrong part of town at night with the kids when we arrive. I just like to get as much info as possible to make good decisions. The least transfers, most direct mode is the best with kiddos. Thank you again!!!

If those are your concerns, I'd definitely stay at the airport rather than in downtown Newark.

Do you have AAA or is anyone a senior? Thus can reduce your room rates.

A similar question was asked on another thread and someone replied that they had stayed in Mahwah, NJ. The Doubletree there seems to have rates in your target budget, particularly if you prepay.

You're coming in the summer, so rates may be higher in the Catskills area. Rates will be higher as you get close to NYC. So you may do best in an in between area like Mahwah.

We stayed at this HGI in Secaucus last September for our NCL Breakaway cruise to Bermuda. It offered free parking in their safe garage for the week, which was quite a good deal. Its a nice clean hotel in a safe area. There is only one restaurant within an easy quick walk, but there is a bus that takes you into NYC from almost in front of the hotel. This would be good for some pre trip sightseeing, but not good for hauling luggage. We used taxis, and the fare was like $90. including the tip for the return trip, and we shared a taxi on the way into to the cruise port with friends, so it was cheaper. The hotel is difficult to find if you are not familiar with it. I did Google Earth street view and visualized it at least six times so we would not miss our turns, and we did fine. It was stressful for us to drive there though as the signs all come up fast and we were so afraid of missing our turns and ending up going into the city and having to pay the tolls.

We would stay at this hotel again because of the secure parking there which was included. It was cheaper than parking at the port.