Info needed ie: prescription drugs in Belize

KSnewbie

I am a licensed pharmacist and after reading this board I am ashamed of most of the post.

Do you know why drugs require a prescription? There are dangers of abuse, misuse and interactions. I read in one post about someone who bought antidepressants and muscle relaxers... a possible dangerous combination. How were the medications stored? In one post I heard they gave them lipitor in a baggy... that sounds safe.

I have received phone calls from immigration at work to see if a person had a prescription for the medication they we in possession so they do check.

And immigration does randomly check passengers.. how do I know? I was randomly screened durning a Disney cruise a couple of years ago. I had to point to my bags and they looked through them.

I know prescriptions are expensive, but we have laws for a reason. I would say please dont do this.

This says it all, you are taking risks. Do yourself a favor if drug costs are too high, look at the $4-10 dollar list of medications the major chains are offering and tell your doctor about your budget. He/she will work with you to manage your illness. If not, find a new doctor. If you cannot afford your medications then look into the patient assistance programs offered by the pharmaceutical industry. With a little effort you can save a significant amount of money.

Regulation of quantity and quality of drugs consumed is the number one priority of our government. Abuse of antibiotics represents the single reason for "super bugs" that hospitals struggle to treat now. Overuse of the antibiotic class of drugs Cipro is in has led to multi-drug resistant UTI and serious problems in hospitals and nursing homes.

Are you aware that importing prescription drugs not labeled for US consumption is illegal? Regardless of quantity you risk serious criminal punishment. Visualize the conversation you might have with a US customs agent over a baggie filled with pills, no label, no prescription, no clue...

Do a little research on counterfeiting and see what products are most likely to have been subject to fraud in the last decade.

Finally, ask yourself this question; is it a prudent decision to take a 2k-3k cruise only to risk it all to save $50 at a pharmacy counter? Your call...

Oh, and I make my living in the industry, so I might be biased, but pharmacology is my career, and I've seen the fakes. They are packaged, shrink wrapped and bottled very well.

This says it all, you are taking risks. Do yourself a favor if drug costs are too high, look at the $4-10 dollar list of medications the major chains are offering and tell your doctor about your budget. He/she will work with you to manage your illness. If not, find a new doctor. If you cannot afford your medications then look into the patient assistance programs offered by the pharmaceutical industry. With a little effort you can save a significant amount of money.

Regulation of quantity and quality of drugs consumed is the number one priority of our government. Abuse of antibiotics represents the single reason for "super bugs" that hospitals struggle to treat now. Overuse of the antibiotic class of drugs Cipro is in has led to multi-drug resistant UTI and serious problems in hospitals and nursing homes.

Are you aware that importing prescription drugs not labeled for US consumption is illegal? Regardless of quantity you risk serious criminal punishment. Visualize the conversation you might have with a US customs agent over a baggie filled with pills, no label, no prescription, no clue...

Do a little research on counterfeiting and see what products are most likely to have been subject to fraud in the last decade.

Finally, ask yourself this question; is it a prudent decision to take a 2k-3k cruise only to risk it all to save $50 at a pharmacy counter? Your call...

Oh, and I make my living in the industry, so I might be biased, but pharmacology is my career, and I've seen the fakes. They are packaged, shrink wrapped and bottled very well.

Me and my Girlfriend have been taking a wide array of drugs from Belize for four years. All have either been prescribed by a local, trusted doctor. Or as in my case to control my blood sugar. I dont know what drugs she gets other than for high blood pressure, but she gets her meds straight from the doctors office.

I go to the same pharmacy run by the same pharmacist for the past three years.

An average doctor visit here in san pedro with a full exam and blood work will run under $100us.

All of the meds have done what they are prescribed to do, even the little blue pill.

We have both lived here for four years. When we do get to the states, we bring back over the counter drugs, Advil gel caps and others that we cant get here or cost to much here.

I would not try to self diagnose and i do go for regular check ups and my doctor knows all meds I am taking.

If you have a prescription and are under a doctors care I can see nothing wrong with saveing a few hundred bucks. I do it when I visit the states with over the couter meds.

• 1 month later...

Blusry: I'm not questioning your expertise when it comes to Pharmacology, but throwing in a ridiculous and conceited political statement undermines your creditability. You claim that "Regulation of quantity and quality of drugs consumed is the number one priority of our government". :rolleyes: This makes me question anything else you say. :eek:

Let's look at the numbers... of last years tax revenue ($2,160,000,000,000) the FDA received 2.3 billion dollars and the DEA received 2.4 billion. That's about one tenth of one percent each. I'm not sure less than .3 percent makes "regulation of quantity and quality of drugs consumed" a priority at all... let alone our "number one"! ;)

Blusry: I'm not questioning your expertise when it comes to Pharmacology, but throwing in a ridiculous and conceited political statement undermines your creditability. You claim that "Regulation of quantity and quality of drugs consumed is the number one priority of our government". :rolleyes: This makes me question anything else you say. :eek:

Let's look at the numbers... of last years tax revenue ($2,160,000,000,000) the FDA received 2.3 billion dollars and the DEA received 2.4 billion. That's about one tenth of one percent each. I'm not sure less than .3 percent makes "regulation of quantity and quality of drugs consumed" a priority at all... let alone our "number one"! ;)

You took the quote from antibiotic resistance and the danger of overuse.

And in context to the efforts to blunt counterfeit's it remains number one.

Getting caught with drugs not labeled for US consumption is a federal crime, those that elect to do this are subject to the risks.

Plug in a few more names on your response, I could care less.

Many of the drugs they sell are generics and they are relatively inexpensive. Counterfeiting is highly unlikely - there is no money like there is for counterfeiting name brands.

I have been satisfied with my purchases which are quite legal.

If you want to compare prices to what you can get locally, here is another place where we shop (for a cat prescribed people medicine to save any feds the trouble),

http://www.northwestpharmacy.com/

they do require a prescription when needed and so far, no complaints from the cat.

Personally, I ignore alarmists.

Really disappointed that Carnival cancelled our stop in Belize! We always visit the pharmacy there. Need to stock up on Ambien and Xanax. Does anybody know any other ports that have pharmacies with those products? Cozumel or Roatan?

• 5 months later...

While purchasing antibiotics in Belize I saw a sign that cracked me up.

******: 30 pills for $90 or 1 pill for $4.

For some reason the name will not print out so I will give you a hint. They are blue pills.

I still get giddy when I think about it.:D

Edited by clackey

If its a controlled substance you need a prescription. All meds are available for a greater reduced fee. We picked up stuff in Cozumel. Retin A for 20 bucks when the stuff sells for over 100 here.

Retin A in Belize is 12.00.

• 2 weeks later...

I use an online pharmacy for my meds (no insurance) in India, All Day Chemist dot com. Latisse is $10 a bottle, same amount, same percentage of active ingrediant as $100 here. My Bistolic (Nebivolol) is $66 a month here, $70 for 5 months there. Shipping is steep though at $25, but they send it USPS and it arrives in a couple of weeks...so I order several meds at one time. And you don't need a prescription to get them over there.

Edited by BecciBoo

• 2 months later...
I know this is an old post, but I just got off the phone with them and they told me I would not need an RX for hydrocodne 10/500 and I can get 90 of them for 60.00 dollars.

Really? Did you get any, and were they what they said they were supposed to be? Do you just walk up to a pharmacy and tell them what you want? I'm leaving for the Eastern Caribbean and Belize in 2 weeks, and need to make sure I get my info straight. :) Thanks for your help!!

If you review prior posts on this thread, you'll find many words of caution about this so called "pharmacy." You'll never know for certain whether the pills dispensed in plastic baggies are the real thing or are expired medications.

for those of you with severe arthritic pain, here in the US many doctors give out Volteran. A 20 gram tube here in the states at the pharmacy runs $44 after insurance. With no insurance coverage it is in the $75 range. In Cozumel and in Belieze you can get it under the name Volfanac. Same active ingredient. same dosage. A 3 oz tube is $7.00!! Anyone who uses this knows it is close to a gift from the Gods! I stock up when I hit those ports.

If you review prior posts on this thread, you'll find many words of caution about this so called "pharmacy." You'll never know for certain whether the pills dispensed in plastic baggies are the real thing or are expired medications.

I bought medicine there and came in original packages nothing in Zip Lock bags. Evetruthing was up to quality Celebrex had same effect as USA for a lot more price

Well, I for one among others on this thread have major concerns about this so called "pharmacy" and their "pharmacist." I observed folks buying meds dispensed in plastic bags, and they sold me expired thyroid medications. Others pre-paid for meds ordered via their web site (no longer operational) that never arrived.

While purchasing antibiotics in Belize I saw a sign that cracked me up.

******: 30 pills for $90 or 1 pill for $4.

For some reason the name will not print out so I will give you a hint. They are blue pills.

I still get giddy when I think about it.:D

Hey Clackey...do the little blue pills from Belize work??? ;) ;)

• 2 months later...

In Belize we drop about 500 for meds and they are just as good as here in the US. So much cheaper there and will do it each time.

Does anyone know if you can buy ambien in Nassau? Another stop soon :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the good info. I'm taking a cruise with my wife this spring, and we're almost set on the route with Belize. One big question-- So after you buy the prescriptions, and you attempt to board- do the cruise ships (in security check or otherwise) ever look at what prescriptions you are bringing back on the boat? Anyone ever have them inspect the pills inside the bottles or bags or ask questions about them? Or is that something that happens when you go through US customs upon return to the home port? Thanks!

Thanks for all the good info. I'm taking a cruise with my wife this spring, and we're almost set on the route with Belize. One big question-- So after you buy the prescriptions, and you attempt to board- do the cruise ships (in security check or otherwise) ever look at what prescriptions you are bringing back on the boat? Anyone ever have them inspect the pills inside the bottles or bags or ask questions about them? Or is that something that happens when you go through US customs upon return to the home port? Thanks!

Reboard the ship with the pills in pocket/purse/backpack, no problem. I'd never advise anyone to break the law but lets just say if Customs ever found pills I brought back for my personal use, I 'd just feign ignorance and play dumb like I forgot (it comes natural).

• 2 years later...
There are 2 pharmaceys at the pier in Belize. One is ran by a former US Walmart Pharmacist. We got back from Belize 3 weeks ago and went to both. There are lines from fellow cruisers at both places buying all kinds of stuff. This is totally LEGAL in Central America. You can purchase anything (you name it) like Darvocet, Hydrocodone, valium etc.. cheap and legal. It is alot cheaper in Belize than in Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

so there is no problem getting them back home???? hopefully