Info needed ie: prescription drugs in Belize

KSnewbie

Im curious if anyone had purchased allergy medicines in Belize ie: Zyrtec or Flonase...our insurance does not pay much on these and there are no generics so it can add up......between the 2 we pay $100 for one months supply.

Thanks!

I would be curious also. I am in the same position you are.

Instead of Zyrtec, I temporarily tried the brand the insurance company "approved".

It does not work. I'm back to plugged ears, sinus, breathing out of my mouth (makes eating difficult) hummm:rolleyes: Maybe that's my answer to my weight problem too:D

Even a little price break would be helpful.

Does Anybody know if you can get Migraine medicine in Belize(Imitrex)over the counter there?

I recently have been given a prescription for this, but they limit how many you can get. Im guessing due to the cost of it here, and it is expensive. I was just curious as the price they would charge in Belize if available. I probably wouldnt buy it, more of a curiosity thing.

I bought some Zyrtec for my allergies, and I saved about $100.00. My insurance charges a $50.00 co-pay, (gives me only 30). I bought 90 Zyrtec for $45.00.

Ladies for those of oyu who use Retin-A eye cream, I bought two tubes for $15.00. It is good stuff!

Does Anybody know if you can get Migraine medicine in Belize(Imitrex)over the counter there?

I recently have been given a prescription for this, but they limit how many you can get. Im guessing due to the cost of it here, and it is expensive. I was just curious as the price they would charge in Belize if available. I probably wouldnt buy it, more of a curiosity thing.

Sorry...I did not see that you had asked this question until now. Yes I saw Imitrex, I also forogt to mention that the Pharmacist is American Licsensed, and she was very helpful.

Thanks so much for the Zyrtec info......we have the same co-pay ....so saving that kind of money would be GREAT! Did you just have your doctor write a script for you before you left or were you able to get it without one??

Sorry...I did not see that you had asked this question until now. Yes I saw Imitrex, I also forogt to mention that the Pharmacist is American Licsensed, and she was very helpful.

So this is over the counter then, the Imitrex in Belize?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Everything I saw from High BP meds, to anti depressants, you did NOT need a perscription. I have been taking the ALerid, (ZYrtec) and it seems to be working just fine.

I wished I had bought some diabetic testing strips for my mother in law.

I also bought Hydrocodone, Amoxill, and Darvon in Belize. All packaged (sealed). The pharmacist at the pier is an American ( US schooled and licensed pharmacist) and is not a street drug dealer. They have nearly anything that you could ask for. The staff at the pharmacy are extremely knowledgeable and helpful (THEY ARE AMERICANS). This must be a common practice by cruisers because several passengers head straight for the pharmacy. I have a prescription here at home , but even with insurance it's cheaper in Belize. It's just a matter of choice. If you don't feel comfortable buying there, by all means don't.

What's the name of the pharmacy? Thanks.

Has anyone gotten any Diabetes stuff over there (or mail order). My husband was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes and he has to test himself 6-8 times a day. Well, the insurance company doesn't quite get that and only give him 100 test strips per co-pay. This should be a months worth but only lasts not even 2 weeks. If there was another source to get these that would be great.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

US Customs is really cracking down on anyone caught with prescription medication that they don't have a prescription for. I would not chance it. Plus, you really have no idea what they're giving you when you walk into one of those kinds of places.

they sell it everywhere out of US.. but like the other posters said , who knows what youre getting when you buy it, i didnt even want to take the tylenol sinus i bought in mexico but i had no choice, it is risky though in my opinion, its not worth it at all.....

Yes, you can buy it in Belize. The price are much cheaper.

People tickle me warning others about taking meds bought outside the US, when 90% of our meds are made outside the US. Typically, what you would buy there is labelled & packaged for US sales. There is always the possibility of counterfiet drugs, but that possibility exists here in the US where the profit from counterfeit drugs is much, much higher!

SOmetimes you will find "odd" drugs, but I would stay away from them. Also, they have drugs not yet approved by the FDA, but those drugs have been used in Canada and Europe for years. As long as you do your homework, there should be no problems. You are allowed a 90 day supply without custom problems.

The pharmacist in Belize is a US trained and registered pharmacist from Louisiana.

People tickle me warning others about taking meds bought outside the US, when 90% of our meds are made outside the US.

Typically, what you would buy there is labelled & packaged for US sales...

The pharmacist in Belize is a US trained and registered pharmacist from Louisiana.

Sometimes free advice is worth what you paid for it, and the post above, especially the second sentence is bad advice.

I make a living in drug pharmacology in medicine, and have looked at the labels of many drugs in port pharmacies. As a rule none are labeled according to US FDA guidelines.

Here is text from the US govt. website regarding importation of Rx meds. http://www.fda.gov/ora/import/traveler_alert.htm

To avoid travel delays and to prevent possible harm from taking unsafe or ineffective medications, residents and visitors upon arrival to or departure from the U.S. should keep in mind the following precautions:

Do not assume that medications which are legal in foreign countries are also approved for use in the United States. These products may be illegal and may include addictive and dangerous substances;

Be aware that the labeled uses (conditions for which the product is represented to be effective) for a product purchased outside the U.S. may not be approved in the United States;

It can be dangerous to take some medications without medical supervision. The reason why some medications are limited to prescription use in the United States is that either they are unsafe without medical supervision or a medical diagnosis is required to ensure that the medication is appropriate for your condition;

Avoid purchasing any drug products that are not approved for sale in the U.S. (including foreign-manufactured versions of U.S. approved drugs). FDA cannot assure that these products conform to the manufacturing and quality assurance procedures mandated by U.S. laws and regulations and, therefore, these products may be unsafe. In addition, such products are illegal in the U.S. and, therefore, may be subject to entry refusal;

Some medications which may appear to be U.S. approved drug products may in fact be counterfeit versions of such products. (The term "counterfeit drug" is defined as "a drug which, or the container or labeling of which, without authorization, bears the trademark, trade name, or other identifying mark, imprint, or device, or any likeness thereof, of a drug manufacturer, processor, packer, or distributor other than the person or persons who in fact manufactured, processed, packed, or distributed such drug and which thereby falsely purports or is represented to be the product of, or to have been packed or distributed by, such other drug manufacturer, processor, packer, or distributor." See 21 U.S.C. 321(g)(2));

In the event you develop complications from using a medication which require medical attention, your treatment could be delayed or made more difficult unless there is sufficient information available about the product, such as the generic name of the product, dosage form and strength, and how often you need to take the product.

Possession of certain medications without a prescription from a physician licensed in the United States may violate Federal, State, and/or local laws;

It is important to have medications in the originally-dispensed container;

FDA's personal importation guidance provides that when bringing unapproved drugs into the U.S. for use in treating serious or life threatening illnesses, such products should be used under the care and supervision of a U.S. licensed physician. It is advisable to make available for examination by U.S. Customs Inspectors or other appropriate government authorities appropriate documentation of such monitoring;

It is against the law not to properly declare imported medications to U.S. Customs.

When the type of drug, the quantity, or the combination of various drugs arouse suspicions, U.S. Customs Inspectors will ordinarily contact the nearest FDA or DEA office for advice and will then make a final determination about whether to release or detain the article. (See 19 U.S.C. 1499).

Now, I'd bet if you didn't declare the drugs you bought when the federal inspectors caught you you could always mention your new cajun friend from Belize... that should keep you out of trouble.. Duh.

you can buy prescription drugs.without a prescription in belize.there are two pharmacys right there at the port in belize.you can't buy schedule 2 drugs.but you can buy hydrocodone,xanax,phenterimine.you can buy 100 vicodin 10mg.for $50.and 30 2mg xanax for $40.and 90 phenterimine 37.5 for $75.and you can buy all you want.just make sure you take the vicodin out of the blister packs.and put them in a plastic bottle.because the blister packs are foil.these are real drugs.and made in europe.and they are safe

i just returned from my cruise yesterday.and you do not need a prescription in belize.but you do have to have a prescription in cozumel,costa maya,in belize i bought vicodin, xanax,phenterimine.you can buy all you want.without a script.if you buy vicodin be sure to take the pills out of the blister packs.and put them in plastic bottles.blister packs are made foil.it may cause a problem with metel detectors.

There are 2 pharmaceys at the pier in Belize. One is ran by a former US Walmart Pharmacist...

This is totally LEGAL in Central America. You can purchase anything (you name it) like Darvocet, Hydrocodone, valium etc.. cheap and legal.

Sometimes free advice is worth what you paid for it, and the post above, especially the second sentence is bad advice.

I make a living in drug pharmacology in medicine, and have looked at the labels of many drugs in port pharmacies. As a rule none are labeled according to US FDA guidelines.

Here is text from the US govt. website regarding importation of Rx meds. http://www.fda.gov/ora/import/traveler_alert.htm

To avoid travel delays and to prevent possible harm from taking unsafe or ineffective medications, residents and visitors upon arrival to or departure from the U.S. should keep in mind the following precautions:

Do not assume that medications which are legal in foreign countries are also approved for use in the United States. These products may be illegal and may include addictive and dangerous substances;

Be aware that the labeled uses (conditions for which the product is represented to be effective) for a product purchased outside the U.S. may not be approved in the United States;

It can be dangerous to take some medications without medical supervision. The reason why some medications are limited to prescription use in the United States is that either they are unsafe without medical supervision or a medical diagnosis is required to ensure that the medication is appropriate for your condition;

Avoid purchasing any drug products that are not approved for sale in the U.S. (including foreign-manufactured versions of U.S. approved drugs). FDA cannot assure that these products conform to the manufacturing and quality assurance procedures mandated by U.S. laws and regulations and, therefore, these products may be unsafe. In addition, such products are illegal in the U.S. and, therefore, may be subject to entry refusal;

Some medications which may appear to be U.S. approved drug products may in fact be counterfeit versions of such products. (The term "counterfeit drug" is defined as "a drug which, or the container or labeling of which, without authorization, bears the trademark, trade name, or other identifying mark, imprint, or device, or any likeness thereof, of a drug manufacturer, processor, packer, or distributor other than the person or persons who in fact manufactured, processed, packed, or distributed such drug and which thereby falsely purports or is represented to be the product of, or to have been packed or distributed by, such other drug manufacturer, processor, packer, or distributor." See 21 U.S.C. 321(g)(2));

In the event you develop complications from using a medication which require medical attention, your treatment could be delayed or made more difficult unless there is sufficient information available about the product, such as the generic name of the product, dosage form and strength, and how often you need to take the product.

Possession of certain medications without a prescription from a physician licensed in the United States may violate Federal, State, and/or local laws;

It is important to have medications in the originally-dispensed container;

FDA's personal importation guidance provides that when bringing unapproved drugs into the U.S. for use in treating serious or life threatening illnesses, such products should be used under the care and supervision of a U.S. licensed physician. It is advisable to make available for examination by U.S. Customs Inspectors or other appropriate government authorities appropriate documentation of such monitoring;

It is against the law not to properly declare imported medications to U.S. Customs.

When the type of drug, the quantity, or the combination of various drugs arouse suspicions, U.S. Customs Inspectors will ordinarily contact the nearest FDA or DEA office for advice and will then make a final determination about whether to release or detain the article. (See 19 U.S.C. 1499).

Now, I'd bet if you didn't declare the drugs you bought when the federal inspectors caught you you could always mention your new cajun friend from Belize... that should keep you out of trouble.. Duh.