Just how cold will i get?!

lostboys

We did the same cruise in March 2014 and when we did the "In search of the Northern Lights" excursion it went as low as -26C late at night but during the day in Alta and Tromso there was plenty of snow about and cold but as long as you wrapped up in layers then it didnt cause a problem. You will need good walking shoes/boots with a good grip on.

Edited by majortom10

Thanks for the reply, i think layers probably will be the best thing to wear to try and trap what little warmth there might be! Were you lucky enough to see the northern lights and was the tour quite expensive?

Yes we had a fantastic experience of the Northern Lights but the tour the following night was not so lucky as it can never be guaranteed. Yes the excursion was expensive as are all excursions to Norway whatever the cruise.

We sailed with Hurtigruten last Feb / Mar and saw the Northern Lights from the top deck of the ship. To keep warm I wore base layer (high neck type), thick shirt, light fleece and a lightweight down jacket. Bottom half I wore winter lined trousers and waterproof & windproof over trousers. On my feet, I wore a pair of thin socks and a pair of thick socks and a pair of walking boots.

I wore a pair of silk liner gloves and a pair of windproof mitts, keeping the silk gloves on for photos. I wore a buff round my neck that I could pull up to cover my nose. I wore two hats, a thinner beanie type and one of those fur lined hats with earflaps. That was for when temperatures were only slightly below freezing, because the breeze as we were sailing made it seem much colder. Exposed hands started to go numb after a few minutes.

For husky sledging when the temperature was -12c, I added another pair of fleece gloves between my silk ones and the windproof fleece-lined mitts. I also put on a winter type heavy waterproof walking jacket and thicker overtrousers on top of the other stuff. Yes I kept warm enough, but was never too warm.

Covering up exposed skin is very important at those temperatures as your skin will become very rough. It's also important to wear lip protection - I didn't and my lips became chapped and peeled and were sore for weeks afterwards.

Hope this helps a little.

Edited by BORDER REIVER

Thank you for your replies. I never thought about the lip salve idea but it makes perfect sense, it seems the least exposed the better including the face. We are wanting to do the sled ride aswell, it will certainly be an experience! I am looking at auction sites for clothing and boots because if we are not careful we will spend more on that than the cruise itself!

Long Johns are helpful too.

We did the cruise in March 2014 and had a fantastic time.

I posted one or two photo's in the Gallery Section of the Bolsover Cruise Club forum site under "june63"

http://www.bolsovercruiseclub.com/forum/

David E

Edited by silver surfer 2010

We did it last March 2014 on Oriana. We bought thermal underwear, socks and gloves, and we layered on top of this. It does get very cold. Seeing the Northern Lights is hit and miss. We did the trip and didn't see it. We also did dog sledding and snowmobile and both we're great fun would highly recommend. They outfit you with the gear needed. Also went to the Ice Hotel which was good fun too. We had a good time even thought we did not see them. All the trips are expensive because of where it is. Got a lot of stuff at Go Outdoors I think its called.

Have a good time.

Thank you for your replies. I never thought about the lip salve idea but it makes perfect sense, it seems the least exposed the better including the face. We are wanting to do the sled ride aswell, it will certainly be an experience! I am looking at auction sites for clothing and boots because if we are not careful we will spend more on that than the cruise itself!

I'm going this march - march 5th. I got a lot of my cold weather clothing in the sales at mountain warehouse & from aldi. I'm definitely taking lots if layers!!

Alison

Hi, for those guys who have already done this cruise, we are going on 17th March and I was wondering if anyone saw the northern lights from the ship? We are planning on doing the tour,however we are hoping if we are not lucky to see the lights on the tour there will be other opportunities. Also does anyone know the best time to do the tour, the options are 19:30, 20:30, 21:30 and 22:30.

Thanks in advance

Hi, for those guys who have already done this cruise, we are going on 17th March and I was wondering if anyone saw the northern lights from the ship? We are planning on doing the tour,however we are hoping if we are not lucky to see the lights on the tour there will be other opportunities. Also does anyone know the best time to do the tour, the options are 19:30, 20:30, 21:30 and 22:30.

Thanks in advance

Admittedly, we were not on that cruise but the same basic rules apply. The Aurora, if it is present, will be there night and day, but can only be seen once it's dark and the skies clear enough. Generally, there's a better chance of clearer skies further away from the coast.

We saw the Northern Lights from the ship at around 8.30pm and 11.45pm. Passengers were informed of their presence by intercom phone and most outside lights on the ship were switched off. We had good views of them for around 1/2 hour on the second occasion, but that was only 1 night out of the 11 nights we were away. So, it's very hit and miss, but I hope all those that seek them are rewarded because it's a very special experience.

When we went on Oriana last March and took the "In search of Northern Lights" excursion we viewed the Northern Lights from the minute we arrived at 10pm until we left at midnight it was awesome. The drive from Alta was 1 hr away with no light interference from towns and was in the middle of nowhere even the drive up there was exhilerating and how the coach driver got us there on snowy roads was fantastic.

There are some usful comments on the roll call for this cruise and also the roll call for the earlier cruise (Oriana has a Northern Lights cruise in early March as well as the one leaving on 17th March).

I did this cruise last year and it was so worth it with fabulous sightings. As for clothing just take lots and lots of layers. It was -25C when we were taken to Kautokeino from Alta to watch the lights. On that occasion I wore two pairs thermal long johns from M&S, Jeans and thin nylon waterproof trousers. On my feet I had a pair of snow boots (check out Mountain Warehouse, Aldi etc. ) and thermal socks. On top a long sleeve thermal vest, sleeveless thermal vest, cotton knitted polo neck top, arctic fleece, water and windproof coat, silk liner gloves, mittens, thick thermal hood with neckpiece, again from Aldi.

I was just right, not too hot, and not in the least cold - until I took a glove off to adjust my tripod and froze to the metal!

Just bear in mind that it will take a very long time to use the toilet!!

Edited by Host Sharon