Boston's Black Falcon Cruise Terminal

sail7seas

This is a tough winter- here we just have a foot or so on the ground- and just got a dusting last night. It's just one degree outside, but I can't complain when I hear reports from coastal Mass.

Hopefully the thaw, when it does come, is gradual, and not as a sudden, flood-inducing warm rain.

All the storm drains are covered with plowed snow and frozen to hard ice. We won't see them again until sometime in July the way things are going. :D Fingers crossed we have a slow melt or it will be terrible mess.

I am not familiar with the drainage systems where you live, but every system with which I am familiar is actually dual: the storm drains which collect rain run-off, snow melt etc. and the sanitary system which treats waste which IX generally referred to as sewage. Most sewage treatment plants do not have anywhere near the capacity to (needlessly) treat rainwater and snow melt.

In fact, the system you describe seems to have three sub-systems: regular sewage, the storm drains which presumably feed into the sewage treatment plant, and then the storm drains whis do flow " direct to the bay".

In our coastal towns, municipal beaches are often posted as unfit for swimming after heavy rains because of the (non-sewage) runoff which flows into Long Island Sound from the storm drain system - which does carry miscellaneous pollutants - totally distinct from the sanitary sewage system.

Google "Combined Sewer Overflows". In Connecticut, the cities of Hartford, Waterbury, Norwich, New Haven, Bridgeport, and Norwalk all have CSO systems. From the EPA, 40 million people in the US are served by CSO's, mainly in the Northeast. The Clean Water Act has mandated mediation of CSO's, and this has led to the construction of the treatment "ponds" that you see around, as well as tunnels and tanks for storage.

South Boston has the South Boston CSO Storage Tunnel that is 17 feet in diameter, and 2.5 miles long (about 6 million gallons) to store wastewater at times of heavy inflow. Storm drains closer to the harbor are being separated from sanitary sewers and draining straight into the harbor.

All the storm drains are covered with plowed snow and frozen to hard ice. We won't see them again until sometime in July the way things are going. :D Fingers crossed we have a slow melt or it will be terrible mess.

I've actually seen crews in Boston using large propane burners that roofers use to melt roofing tar to melt down and clear storm drains.

Our plow guy has started getting real creative with where he puts the stuff from the drive. I watched the firemen the other day shoveling out the hydrants, and noticed that in some areas, even the metal "flag" they attach to the hydrants in winter are under the drifts.

Edited by chengkp75

Google "Combined Sewer Overflows". In Connecticut, the cities of Hartford, Waterbury, Norwich, New Haven, Bridgeport, and Norwalk all have CSO systems. From the EPA, 40 million people in the US are served by CSO's, mainly in the Northeast. The Clean Water Act has mandated mediation of CSO's, and this has led to the construction of the treatment "ponds" that you see around, as well as tunnels and tanks for storage.

South Boston has the South Boston CSO Storage Tunnel that is 17 feet in diameter, and 2.5 miles long (about 6 million gallons) to store wastewater at times of heavy inflow. Storm drains closer to the harbor are being separated from sanitary sewers and draining straight into the harbor.

Google "Norwalk Conecticut Storm Water Treatment" for the facts on how storm water is handled - more specifically: not handled.

Google "Norwalk Conecticut Storm Water Treatment" for the facts on how storm water is handled - more specifically: not handled.

Don't really want to argue over this, but the list of cities in Conn was from the Conn DEEP website. It states (don't know when last updated) that in 1979 there were 8 CSO's in Norwalk, but that today there is only one, at the South Smith Street waste water treatment plant. Towns and cities have been separating storm drains since the CWA was passed, but there are still many CSO's around.

Heard my old rental was 3 feet under water...it wasnt called Beach St for nothin I guess. Good thing is my moms place has 7 feet of snow but dry inside! South Shore as well as Boston is due for more in the next few days. Today being Presidents Day was supposed to be removed as a holiday for the kids to make up a snow day but did they have safe enough roads to send them?? You guys still on a travel ban?

I've actually seen crews in Boston using large propane burners that roofers use to melt roofing tar to melt down and clear storm drains.

Our plow guy has started getting real creative with where he puts the stuff from the drive. I watched the firemen the other day shoveling out the hydrants, and noticed that in some areas, even the metal "flag" they attach to the hydrants in winter are under the drifts.

I watched the firefighters riding their rig around our neighborhood checking the fire hydrants. My good neighbors had all cleared the ones in front of their houses. :) Before they cleared them, you are right..... the hydrant flags were useless.

I have a municipal storm drain near the top of my driveway. I know exactly where it is but there is not a chance I'll see that thing for weeks. :D The snow on top of it is taller than I am.

We do not have an official driving ban for this storm but the Governor and all the Mayors are pleading with people to stay off the roads so they can clear them adequately. Most schools in MA are closed this week for winter vacation. Hopefully families got flights out of Logan Airport to get to their cruises and warm weather vacations.

More snow predicted for tomorrow. Sigh....... Another 4-6". The good news is the sky is blue today and the sun is shining. It does lift the mood a bit. :)

Morning low temperature today was minus 3 F.

Let me guess......

Uhm,,,,,, ski trails? :D

BINGO!!!!!!:D....Give that person a cigar......snow machine riders. snow plowing, ice fishing, tourist dollars spent in lodging, dining, ski rentals and tickets......etc. etc. etc......It all goes back to that classic Christmas movie "White Christmas" I suppose.......;):D

In the past and early in the winter, Black Falcon was used as a snow melting farm. When the snow became so deep and the city literally ran out of where to put it that approval was given, as an exception, to dump it in the ocean. I doubt this will become a usual and regular practice.

The snow that is going into the ocean hasn't touched streets, salt, trash, etc. It's snow that was on top of snow (that was on top of snow, etc, etc, etc) so is much cleaner than "first generation" snow that they no longer can dump into the water.

BINGO!!!!!!:D....Give that person a cigar......snow machine riders. snow plowing, ice fishing, tourist dollars spent in lodging, dining, ski rentals and tickets......etc. etc. etc......It all goes back to that classic Christmas movie "White Christmas" I suppose.......;):D

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. :D

I refuse to add up what I have paid already this winter for snow removal from my driveway and roofs. :eek: And winter is not yet over. :rolleyes:

The snow that is going into the ocean hasn't touched streets, salt, trash, etc. It's snow that was on top of snow (that was on top of snow, etc, etc, etc) so is much cleaner than "first generation" snow that they no longer can dump into the water.

I'm not sure that is 'always' the case. I've seen the big backhoes (or whatever those heavy duty lifters are called), scooping up those huge banks of snow at the corners of streets and dump it into trucks for transport to snow farm or melters but it is not virgin white. It's been plowed off the streets and piled high. Sure, seeing we've had so many storms, some of those high banks are in layers and some was clean snow but piled on top is 'dirty snow' as well. It has to be removed from the streets and has to go somewhere and I'll leave it to those charged with managing it to handle this huge job. I have respect for their very hard, long work hours that benefit all of us.

Bah, humbug! The only good thing about snow is eventually it melts! I know, I am living in the wrong state. Just trying to convince my native Vermonter DH that there is a lot more to the world than what happens within Vermont's borders. I would have moved south a long time ago but he's lodged in tighter than a tick on a dog!

Bah, humbug! The only good thing about snow is eventually it melts! I know, I am living in the wrong state. Just trying to convince my native Vermonter DH that there is a lot more to the world than what happens within Vermont's borders. I would have moved south a long time ago but he's lodged in tighter than a tick on a dog!

You sound like a natural to join the movement to impeach that stupid groundhog.