Considering 1st Trans-Atlantic as 1st HAL

grinningimm

Hi everyone. I have two cruises under my belt, an 10-day Princess to the southern caribbean, and a 7-day Disney to St. Thomas and San Juan. My wife and I are considering a longer cruise in March or April, and the 15-day repositioning from FLL to Citavecchia on Zuiderdam looks like a good value. Here are my questions related to a TA:

1) How is a TA different from other cruises? More days at sea will not bother us, fewer ports is perhaps a wash, depending on the ports that are available. Other than those things, what should we be thinking about? Weather, sea state, and cost of airfare are what I've thought of, but what am I missing? Or if you prefer a slightly different wording, what are the advantages and disadvantages of a TA over a round trip?

2) I pored over the Princess boards before that cruise, for specifics on the boat as well as generalities about the Princess line and culture. I will pore over the HAL forum as well. But I'll ask here for your opinions: What are the biggest differences between HAL and Princess cruises? Between Emerald Princess and Zuiderdam?

3) If we are considering a TA, should we think about other itineraries and/or other lines?

4) Are we likely to see prices drop on this cruise as we move closer to embarkation?

5) How is the demographic different on a TA? (I'm envisioning fewer kids, for instance.)

Edited by grinningimm

Here are my opinions:

1) How is a TA different from other cruises? More days at sea will not bother us, fewer ports is perhaps a wash, depending on the ports that are available. Other than those things, what should we be thinking about? Weather, sea state, and cost of airfare are what I've thought of, but what am I missing? Or if you prefer a slightly different wording, what are the advantages and disadvantages of a TA over a round trip?

Can only speak to TAs on HAL;

Advantages include usually great lecturers, many more activities for the sea days - other than that, it is a cruise like many others. We love sea days!

Disadvantage: the dreaded long flight with baggage restrictions ..... You may have 'weather' but you may not. The captain can change course and take a slightly different route to try to avoid the weather as much as possible.

2) I pored over the Princess boards before that cruise, for specifics on the boat as well as generalities about the Princess line and culture. I will pore over the HAL forum as well. But I'll ask here for your opinions: What are the biggest differences between HAL and Princess cruises? Between Emerald Princess and Zuiderdam?

The service on HAL cannot be beat! IMO HAL has better food. Princess may have better entertainment. We have sailed both lines and we are now confirmed HAL sailors, mostly due to the service we find on HAL ships. It is almost like the crew think of you as family (at least the good parts of family).

3) If we are considering a TA, should we think about other itineraries and/or other lines?

Would recommend you decide where you want to go, what ports you want to see, then look for a cruise to accommodate what you want. If you can take the time, how about a RT?? - the Atlantic Adventure on the Maasdam may be a suggestion.

4) Are we likely to see prices drop on this cruise as we move closer to embarkation?

Maybe but if cabin location is important, it may be a good idea to book now. This would be a good question for your travel agent.

5) How is the demographic different on a TA? (I'm envisioning fewer kids, for instance.)

Yes, there will be fewer children, especially compared to your previous cruises. Depending on length of the cruise, you will find a bit older crowd as someone once said - the longer the cruise in length, the longer the passengers in tooth. You may find more Europeans / Australians on board which is interesting in its own right.

Enjoy your adventure! If you get the chance, Venice, Barcelona and Malta are some of our favorite ports.

We have done TA twice, once with the Voyage of the Vikings (doing it again this summer) .... this is the long way , going by Greenland and Iceland... totally amazing !

For quick TA (7 days) ..... Cunard Queen Mary II is just fantastic!

It il the only true oceanliner out there (not flat bottom ship).... handles rough seas like no other ship !

either way 6 days at sea is fantastic! no jet lag..!!!!

Grinningimm.

We will be aboard ZUIDERDAM March 2015. We find longer TA voyages bring out the HAL 'frequent cruisers', so any not yet retired guests may be among the younger ones aboard. We love the days asea on HAL. Lido Buffet in AM, then Time to read or lounging Poolside or in HotTub. Gym workouts are popular for some, cocktail hour for others. Playing cards is a biggie with Movies in evening. It's truly a way to do nothing without feeling guilty. As expected...you either like the wavy ocean scenery or you don't. We do. Locomotiveman Tom

You've got some good comments and I'm sure you'll get more. I've done 7 TAs on HAL, enjoyed them all immensely. Only thing I can add is for one-way airfare to Europe HAL usually has the best fares to be found, far better than anything I could find independently.

Only thing I can add is for one-way airfare to Europe HAL usually has the best fares to be found, far better than anything I could find independently.

I agree. Unless you plan on using frequent flyer miles, getting your flight through the cruise line is the way to go. On my recent TA the cruise lines price for air fare was about 20% of what I would have paid buying from the air carrier.

My first HAL cruise was a transAtlantic, and it's still my favorite. It's what got me hooked on cruising in the first place. All those long days at sea really reinforce the feeling of being "away from it all". And therein lies the rub... Although there will probably be special lecturers and entertainment during the day, you'll be mostly self-guided as far as keeping yourselves occupied goes. Be sure to take that into account.

Repositioning TA's also tend to be very good value in terms of $'s per day. If you're looking at a longer itinerary, it's tough to make your money go further. If you're willing to gamble a bit, the price might drop closer to sailing. But then you'd probably be giving up the ability to choose your own cabin. That may or may not be an issue for you.

HAL has a big advantage over some other lines because the ships have a complete promenade. Many people enjoy walking laps around that deck to help stay in shape and enjoy the fresh sea air.

I was so frustrated on a non-Hal ship transatlantic (Celebrity Eclipse) at being forced back inside to cross over to the other side due to the ship's design. Much less promenade decking compared to HAL.

Crossings really do evoke the old ocean liner experience. My idea of heaven was sitting with my feet up on the footrest in one of those leather Eames chairs in the Explorations Cafe on the Ryndam, facing windows with a sea view, with a good book and a latte.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

We've done four T/A's one on HAL's Prinsendam, one on Nordam (a Zuiderdam sister ship) the others on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. HAL is definitely our favorite: for food, service, comfort.

There will be few children due to length of trip and time of year - both repositioning seasons fall during normal school times. Do not pay attention to uninformed blather about HAL being for newly wed or nearly dead: all T/A's attract retirees due to usual length. Because port calls are short, make sure you give yourself several days in your European port pre- or post-cruise to see whatever city it is: it is a shame to go to Europe without getting a good taste of at least one city/area.

Our preference is westbound in the Fall because of 25 hour days rather than 23 on eastbound; better weather, as the Atlantic is pretty chilly in the Spring; and it is good to get the dreary flight over with rather than have to look forward to it at the end. If your plans are open, think about it. Whatever you choose, if you book a balcony, select port side for westbound or starboard if eastbound - it's a plus to be on the sunny side every day all day. Definitely take advantage of the line's air arrangements - you save greatly --- but make sure you actually book the flights yourself to get best flight and seat selection.

Thanks for all the thoughts so far, please keep them coming.

Neither of us is retired, we just have a confluence of circumstances that allow us to take an extended trip, and this is one of the options we are considering, along with much longer and more exotic possibilities.

We've done four T/A's one on HAL's Prinsendam, one on Nordam (a Zuiderdam sister ship) the others on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. HAL is definitely our favorite: for food, service, comfort.

There will be few children due to length of trip and time of year - both repositioning seasons fall during normal school times. Do not pay attention to uninformed blather about HAL being for newly wed or nearly dead: all T/A's attract retirees due to usual length. Because port calls are short, make sure you give yourself several days in your European port pre- or post-cruise to see whatever city it is: it is a shame to go to Europe without getting a good taste of at least one city/area.

Our preference is westbound in the Fall because of 25 hour days rather than 23 on eastbound; better weather, as the Atlantic is pretty chilly in the Spring; and it is good to get the dreary flight over with rather than have to look forward to it at the end. If your plans are open, think about it. Whatever you choose, if you book a balcony, select port side for westbound or starboard if eastbound - it's a plus to be on the sunny side every day all day. Definitely take advantage of the line's air arrangements - you save greatly --- but make sure you actually book the flights yourself to get best flight and seat selection.

How does one go about booking own seats on cruise-booked flights?

How does one go about booking own seats on cruise-booked flights?

The cruise line gives you booking access - identifying airlines from your chosen airport. If you leave it to the cruise line to book, you may get put on connecting, rather than direct, flights -- also, you may not get a chance to select seats until you check in for the flight.

Thanks for all the thoughts so far, please keep them coming.

Neither of us is retired, we just have a confluence of circumstances that allow us to take an extended trip, and this is one of the options we are considering, along with much longer and more exotic possibilities.

hmmm, if I remember correctly, you were looking at the fall for sailing. There are several HAL options for some longer and exotic cruises which we have thoroughly enjoyed such as the wonderful Hawaiian / Tahiti 30-day cruise (one of our favorites) and a 17-day Hawaiian cruise - both of these are out of San Diego, the Amazon cruise is very unique. The Atlantic Explorer is RT Ft Lauderdale if you have time as about 50 days or so. Let us know if you need more suggestions.

The time window is actually coming up quickly - spring rather than fall. I suspect we are looking at something between March 3 and April 30. We have no real requirements, we are just looking at $/day of cruise vs. our interest level in the route and/or ports. Most areas of the world interest us, but we only just started looking, and as Florida residents we naturally started with FL departures. We are not limited as to destinations or departure points.

More suggestions, as well as more things to think about regarding an extended cruise, are welcome and encouraged. As an example, I would never have thought that some ships do not have self serve laundry. I also would not have realized that not all ships have a promenade deck that allows an uninterrupted circumnavigation of the hull.

Thanks to all who have responded already.

Have done 2 T/As, one on Ruby Princess, one on Maasdam. Both were good, both westbound.

T/As are not boring... there is plenty to do onboard, too much if you're not careful to take the time to really enjoy the journey.

Not being in the suites budget, I always factor into my planning the fact that most Princess ships do not have a couch in the room until you get to suites level. So I like the HAL OV rooms for their couches, and even HAL ships have couches in some Insides. We do very few balconies but love to sit on the promenade deck in the padded lounge chairs. Ruby Princess had a very narrow promenade deck with only chairs, not wide enough for lounge chairs.

If you are looking for 1-way air and not a return cruise, do look at HAL air but also take a look at Iceland Air and Air Lingus who usually have good one-way fares although you will fly through Iceland or Ireland respectively. In addition to the usual type of plane change connection, Iceland Air allows up to a 7-day stopover for no additional air fare... but of course you will spend money seeing Iceland :) which is a fascinating place and a growing tourist market.

Have fun planning. m--

I was thinking more about your post re transatlantics. We've done a half dozen or so and they're our favorite types of cruises.

Some of the ports have been really memorable for us along the countries' coastlines. You might stop at Casablanca, depending on the itinerary. Bruges, Belgium is beautiful. On the coast of France, you can visit the D-Day battlefields, the picturesque town of Honfleur, or go to Paris for the day. On the Spanish coast, you might go to Seville or to the pilgrimage town if Santiago de Compostela. Many more examples abound, and you also may visit Bermuda or the Azores en route.

We've combined our TAs with some long-hoped-for experiences. Ireland to trace roots, Tuscany with a rental car, Paris + Chunnel Train + London. But we have friends who will just fly to Europe, stay two overnights in a hotel, and board a TA back just because they love the relaxation.

We did our first (and certainly not our last) trans-Atlantic this past November and I can't say enough about it. We flew to Barcelona using air miles (we aren't frequent flyers, we have a credit card that awards air miles), thus not having to worry about high priced one way air fare. We stayed a few days in Barcelona and were able to do some relaxed touring of the city and area prior to boarding the ship. Of the 13 day cruise we only had 4 ports, and it was wonderful - so much to do, so little to do, the choice was ours. The weather was great, getting progressively warmer the farther south we went - the ocean was like glass most days, and I can't wait to book our next one.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

The cruise line gives you booking access - identifying airlines from your chosen airport. If you leave it to the cruise line to book, you may get put on connecting, rather than direct, flights -- also, you may not get a chance to select seats until you check in for the flight.

We have always been able to choose our seats immediately (Delta), even when HAL booked the flights. We choose the flights and tell HAL (through our big box TA) which flights we want. It is amazing how fast the booking gets on Delta!

Had an issue with Alitalia. They changed our seats the day of the flight due to an equipment change.

We have done 4 TAs and absolutely adore the seas days. One can really 'switch off' and relax. We did 2 Queenmary2 crossings in April/May , admittedly on the northern route, but it was far too cold to sit on deck. April is cool in Europe, the sea is still too cold for swimming, so if it is hot sunshine you are seeking, you may be disappointed. Weather on the southern route can be a bit hit or miss - however if that doesn't bother you - a transatlantic crossing on a ship is still one of the world's greatest travel experiences!

We like the notion of the sea days as well as the idea of a longer cruise. We have now stumbled upon a 25-day Tampa to Vancouver repositioning in April on another line, so that may be worth considering if our window is still open that late.