Panama Sunfarer

propwash

Rainy Season in Panama runs from May through a good part of December. You can expect similar weather in the neighboring countries of Colombia and Costa Rica as well. While the temps don't change a whole lot over the year, Dry Season (late Dec-April) normally brings pleasant breezes, slightly better humidity and of course a lot less rain.

You really do not get a lot of breezes on either a partial or full transit of the canal.

Partial you only go through the Gatun Locks and anchor in Gatun Lake while passengers on shore excursions tender ashore. You are just sitting there for a few hours. It goes slow through the locks.

Even on a full transit the ships go very slowly from coast to coast -- thus no breeze.

The months of January, February and March are better.

You really do not get a lot of breezes on either a partial or full transit of the canal.*

Even on a full transit the ships go very slowly from coast to coast -- thus no breeze.**

*While I can't specifically address what your experience was on your transits because whether you experienced any breezes can be dependent on a number of factors. I would only like to point out my original point that a breeze is present during much of the Dry Season. Here are a couple of samples of the weather observations from Colon from yesterday Feb. 3 '15 and Sept. 15 '14. As you can see the wind speeds for yesterday (Dry Season) are substantial, where the wind in the September (Rainy Season) observations are fairly light. I realize that these are only a one day snap shot of the weather, they are however very representative of the conditions during that time of year.

mcud0l.jpg

flx7va.jpg

**In the days before air conditioned ships sailors would always prefer a northbound (Pac-Atl) transit through the Canal because in general you were more apt to be sailing into the prevailing breeze. Sailing into the breeze plus the forward speed of the ship would help in apparent breeze across the decks. Generally a ship will travel 6-8 knots per hour in the Gaillard Cut and about 12 knots crossing Gatun Lake. The locks of course are rather slow. Traveling the opposite direction, Atl-Pac the forward motion of the ship can cancel out much of the wind's effect.

Edited by BillB48

Is there a particular time that's better than others to do the partial canal cruise?

Thanks

Danny

I did a partial in November I think (if not it was October) and it rained 7 out of 10 days. Into the locks we went, starts raining. Get into Gatun Lake - sun comes out. Back out into the locks - yep, starts raining again. We were suppposed to visit the San Blas Islands but it was cancelled due to all the mud! It was still a good cruise, just be forewarned.