How many Euros do you bring...

Nana57

I'm planning my 14 day cruise and want to know how much Euros I should bring for my trip. I would like to buy them before I leave. When I go to the Caribbean I always make sure to have at least $100 a day. I do not use an ATM card, so that's out. Also, which credit cards have no Foreign Transaction fees and no annual fees?

I am also planning a 14 day cruise in June. In regard to your question about credit cards - I found that my Capital One Quicksilver card has no foreign transaction fees. I planned to take $300 (USD) in Euros and use my credit card as needed for the rest of the trip.

XE.com is quoting 1.12 dollar to euro …… of course that is for large traders.

But I use this as a starting point to gauge what I can get euros for.

I checked a few of these cards and they are quoting 1.33 dollar to euro.

My bank quoted me 1.21 dollar to euro with a $25.00 delivery fee (overnighted)

So yeah, some banks seem to be a rip off :mad:

I get my euros from a bank that I have an account at. They deliver the euros to the bank and I pick them up there to avoid a delivery fee. I got some this week for $1.15. We like to bring 100 euros/day. If you are traveling with other people, you need to have enough cash to split lunch/dinner checks, as most restaurants don't split checks on credit cards. Also, gratuities are paid in cash at restaurants.

Edited by royalcruz

As it stands today, the euro is a tad under $1.09...about two weeks ago it had hit a low of under $1.05. Whenever you exchange cash, be aware some banks bury high charges into the rate and claim they don't charge fees or charge fees up front. So if you take out €700 for a seven day trip, you have thrown away $44 if you exchange cash before you leave or at the airport exchange whether before boarding your flight or upon arrival wherever. I would rather have the $42 so I use ATM's for those incidental charges I might have where a credit card will not do (very rare in many places these days) but then again there may be special circumstances say apartment rentals or shore excursions where you may need and prefer having a substantial amount and find the exorbitant fees for exchanging cash to be for convenience.

Personally, I take no euro with me. At my first stop, I pull €20 out just in case from an ATM and more often than not, when I return home, I still have that €20 bank note in my wallet.

Unfortunately my bank has to have the euros delivered to them via Fedex and they pass on that cost to me….. think it was $20.00 or so. I don't look at it as "throwing away $$) but rather giving me the convenience of having them - as I am on vacation !

I can't imagine getting 20 euros and not spending it :confused: I can spend that in one day in one port on cokes, street snacks etc….. and those small places do not take credit cards……. how do you get around ? Our ride from the airport to our hotel alone is 55 euros…….. cash. What about tours?

I guess if I had to I could travel a lot cheaper (use the trains, don't snack, no shopping :eek:) but I don't think it would be as much fun :D

Edited by texancruzer

Unfortunately my bank has to have the euros delivered to them via Fedex and they pass on that cost to me….. think it was $20.00 or so. I don't look at it as "throwing away $$) but rather giving me the convenience of having them - as I am on vacation !

I can't imagine getting 20 euros and not spending it :confused: I can spend that in one day in one port on cokes, street snacks etc….. and those small places do not take credit cards……. how do you get around ? Our ride from the airport to our hotel alone is 55 euros…….. cash. What about tours?

I guess if I had to I could travel a lot cheaper (use the trains, don't snack, no shopping :eek:) but I don't think it would be as much fun :D

I agree! All the tours want cash. For us it is about 400 euros a day plus meals and anything else we may want.

Our apartment we are renting pre cruise wants cash and it is way over 1,000 euros.

The "keeping the 20EU" is to be able to hit the ground running, rather than queuing up with the rest of the airline passengers at the airport ATM. I have more than that - I do 100EU. Most places in Europe, that will get me from the airport to my hotel and a post-flight snack. Then, I'll hit up Bancomat and get my fix of 200EU to get started in earnest. And, I'll use my AMEX/VISA cards where I can. If I need more cash, I just go to yet another Bancomat. I don't do tours, so I never need a big amount of cash on me. When I leave to come back home, I'll grab 100EU and put it in my bag to bring back with me. I repeat this process every time I visit Europe (well Great Britain, I do have to toss in some Pounds…)

I took 100€. Whatever I needed for the day I got in Whatever city I was at. I have a cc for all other non-cash things. And with the euro expecting to be at parity by q3...I'm not planning on getting anymore than the 100€ I already have from Precvious trips.

I guess I spend too much money on vacation :eek:

Transfers, apartment deposit (this is refundable if we don't break anything), shopping, tours (only the ones we can't prepay) tips, snack type meals/drinks etc etc etc…….

Always use our credit card first but if we can't I don't want to spend time looking for an ATM to get enough money to do what we want to do…….

I guess I spend too much money on vacation :eek:

Transfers, apartment deposit (this is refundable if we don't break anything), shopping, tours (only the ones we can't prepay) tips, snack type meals/drinks etc etc etc…….

Always use our credit card first but if we can't I don't want to spend time looking for an ATM to get enough money to do what we want to do…….

I understand you probably meant that you'd have to visit ATMs very frequently given all the cash you (apparently) spend....:D

BUT I just wanted to emphasize, for others who might worry, that ATMs are practically everywhere in most areas tourists would find themselves in Italy. It's not a matter of looking for them; they pretty much hit you over the head with availability. In Rome, in the area you and I tend to stay, for example, I can think of 3 within a few meters walking of the Pantheon, and another 2 if you go toward Largo Argentina.

I can't really think of any time I had to go looking for an ATM -- most of the time it's a matter of seeing one and thinking "Hmm, do I need to top up my euros today or not?" Probably done more quickly than finding a bathroom or buying a postcard.

I understand you probably meant that you'd have to visit ATMs very frequently given all the cash you (apparently) spend....:D

BUT I just wanted to emphasize, for others who might worry, that ATMs are practically everywhere in most areas tourists would find themselves in Italy. It's not a matter of looking for them; they pretty much hit you over the head with availability. In Rome, in the area you and I tend to stay, for example, I can think of 3 within a few meters walking of the Pantheon, and another 2 if you go toward Largo Argentina.

I can't really think of any time I had to go looking for an ATM -- most of the time it's a matter of seeing one and thinking "Hmm, do I need to top up my euros today or not?" Probably done more quickly than finding a bathroom or buying a postcard.

You are absolutely right……. I can think of 4 just right off Piazza della Rotunda.

Its not a matter of looking for them, but rather when you need a large chunk of euros you might have to hit up more than one in order to get enough euros. Most ATMs have a limit on how many they will give out (in order to keep them from running out quickly) Also, even tho I can "up" the amount I can pull off my card each day I prefer not to in case I lose it etc….

I may sound OCD ;) but I take little white envelopes with the date, who they are for and the amounts (including tips and entry fees) that I need cash euros for. Each day on the ship I pull out the envelope that goes with that day. When the tour is over I hand them the envelope. A no brainer.

I have extra euros for snacks, trinket shopping (where I can't really use a cc) etc.

My system isn't for everyone I know…. but it works for me making my time in Europe stress free and easy easy easy - just the way I like it :D

• 2 months later...

We are booked on a Highlights in Rome with RomeinLimo. We are paying for 7 guests so need about 1200 euro (with added admission fees etc) Woukd it make sense to wait until close to the end of the tour to hit an ATM? That way not carrying that large amount wround or is there no time during tours to do this?

We are booked on a Highlights in Rome with RomeinLimo. We are paying for 7 guests so need about 1200 euro (with added admission fees etc) Woukd it make sense to wait until close to the end of the tour to hit an ATM? That way not carrying that large amount wround or is there no time during tours to do this?

I'm sure RIL, like any private tour operator, would be happy to make a stop at an ATM for you. But would you be getting the cash from multiple accounts?

You won't be able to withdraw that many euros in a single transaction (ATM usually limits you to a draw of about 250 or so at a time). Plus, your own bank likely has a daily withdrawal limit.

You may want to contact RIL (specifically Jany) and ask if you can use your credit card to pay for the tour.

I have used RIL a few times, and will be doing a tour with them on August 1.

They DO allow payment by credit card, just ask in advance.

cruisemom42 is correct (as always :)) you will not be able to withdraw that amount in a single transaction.

Enjoy!