CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Aloha :D

I was just reading the 17 Cruise Mistakes not to make and saw where the cabin steward tip is supposed to be left on the last night. Is the cabin steward tip not included in the mandatory daily gratuity charge?

Also on our Princess CL cruises, I would sometimes have 3 appetizers and no entree for dinner (not a big eater) or no appetizer or dessert but 2 entrees in the MDR. Do they charge for this on RCI?

We're still new to cruising so I figured I'd ask the experts on the board.

Aloha, :D

A service charge of $12 (soon to be $12.95) per day is added to your shipboard account. The cabin steward is included in that. Once you pay that, you have paid the expected tips. The only extra you should tip for is room service unless you order between midnight and 5 am when they add on a service charge. Another tipping opportunity would be the Adventure Ocean staff if they care for your child. Folks who are Diamond and above get free drinks from 5-8:30 and the consensus is that you should tip the bar staff for providing that perq. If you pay for drinks, the tip is added onto your bill. If you have access to the Diamond or Concierge Lounge, folks tip the Concierge if he resolves issues or if he serves drinks. Bottom line - chances are as a new to RCL cruiser, your daily gratuity covers everything but room service.

What day of the week would you do this? Many of the ferries only run weekdays during commuter hours.

What area of Manhattan would you be staying in? I understand you want to mix it up and perhaps enjoy a "river cruise" on a ferry. If you couldn't get to Port Liberte, would you consider an "accessible with luggage" light rail ride to Bayonne and a cab into the port?

I am not sure if we would be staying at the Embassy Suites in Battery Park area or somewhere near Times Square. Since things have changed, crime wise, since 2010, I need to do some additional preplanning.

The ship sails on a Thursday on is a 9 day voyage, returning on a Friday. Would I consider another drop off location? I sure would. I am only familiar with the ferry that takes you to Staten Island as a small child visiting my Grandparents and with the wife back in 2010.

Here is the deal. If we make this trip, we will have to spend a few days in Manhattan. Our oldest daughter really wants to visit NYC. She is excelling in school and won a bunch of awards this year. The only port that we are familiar with in the area is Red Hook and know where the ports in Manhattan are at.

It seems that taking the water taxy/ferry would be something different for us to do. On the way back from the cruise, depending on logistics, we may have to either catch a flight that same day or the following day.

Again, I appreciate the feedback.

Would you consider taking your luggage on the light rail? I'm just trying to think of options for you.

P.S. - check the itinerary - a 9 day cruise from CL gets back on a Sat morning if it leaves on Thurs.

Would you consider taking your luggage on the light rail? I'm just trying to think of options for you.

P.S. - check the itinerary - a 9 day cruise from CL gets back on a Sat morning if it leaves on Thurs.

I would. And you are right, it returns on a Saturday which is still better than a Sunday. The only thing is that I do not like about this sailing is that it stops in Bermuda on a Sunday. Last time I was in Bermuda was also on a Sunday and most of the stores were closed. Not a bid deal though.

Also on our Princess CL cruises, I would sometimes have 3 appetizers and no entree for dinner (not a big eater) or no appetizer or dessert but 2 entrees in the MDR. Do they charge for this on RCI?...

A few evenings on Explorer I ordered 2 appetizers and 2 deserts. Oh, and on one formal night I ordered 2 lobster tails. No extra charges, but I did tip the waiter and assistant more for their effort.

Okay so I've been reading all the info and I'm almost ready to cruise! We are on the June 18 Liberty departure. I reserved the pre cruise night at Country Inn on Glimcher Way and understand there is a free shuttle from EWR to the hotel.

What I haven't seen is if there is a shuttle from the hotel to the port. I've seen reference to a $70 return shuttle but I won't be returning to the hotel so I don't need that. Can we shuttle one way from the hotel? Is a taxi a good alternative? Any idea how much that would be?

Thanks for your assistance and my apologies if this was covered elsewhere in the thread.

Kevin

Last week I booked a cruise for DH and me--very last minute. We'll be on Liberty sailing 6/27. So now I am quickly trying to make our travel plans and I'm trying to research as much as I can. I've browsed through this thread some, but now I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of the information. Hope to get help with a few things:

1. We're dropping the kids off with my parents in Pittsburgh, so we'll drive from there on Friday. Would like to stay Fri. night at a decent hotel in a decent area. Will most likely drive to the port and park there. As I understand it is $19/day. Where is best place to stay Friday night? I've read a few posts about hotels in Elizabeth/Glimcher Realty Way and some about Parsippany--what is best option?

2. What time should we plan to arrive at the port? On our cruises out of FL we usually arrive around 11:00 or so and get on the ship quickly. Should I expect the same in Cape Liberty?

3. I'm playing around with the idea of sightseeing when we return on 7/2. Not sure how crowded things will be heading into the holiday weekend. I'm not even sure where to go, but thinking I'd like to see the Statue of Liberty and the 9/11 memorials. What is the best option to get to these places or NYC in general? We'll have our car, but I'm not sure about driving around the city and trying to find parking. Is there a good place to park and take public transportation?

4. Thinking about sail away--port or starboard for the best views of the city?

Thanks!

Ranee

I have a question that has probably been answered many times but wonder if someone could help my poor befuddled brain....

We are sailing into Cape Liberty on the Anthem of the Seas inaugural TA come November. First TA for all 3 of us, first time to New York for 2 of us, and all the planning is left to 1 of us - me!!

My question: we are 3 sprightly, well travelled seniors (68-74) who need to get into W48th Street once we are off the ship...what is the best way to go?

We will each have a large suitcase plus a carry-on to contend with; and time really isn't a problem as we have no need to hurry to get to the hotel and we like to people watch.

Once through immigration and heading outside the terminal are cabs freely available if taking the rail option into NYC? Do booked vehicles park there?

Please help if you can so I can ensure that we have as smooth arrival as possible.

Many thanks

Cee

Okay so I've been reading all the info and I'm almost ready to cruise! We are on the June 18 Liberty departure. I reserved the pre cruise night at Country Inn on Glimcher Way and understand there is a free shuttle from EWR to the hotel.

What I haven't seen is if there is a shuttle from the hotel to the port. I've seen reference to a $70 return shuttle but I won't be returning to the hotel so I don't need that. Can we shuttle one way from the hotel? Is a taxi a good alternative? Any idea how much that would be?

Thanks for your assistance and my apologies if this was covered elsewhere in the thread.

Kevin

I'd call Country Inns directly to see what they can do for you. If you can't get on their shuttle one way, then I'd book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo. For a no frills service call

Independent driver - 888-816-0973

Last week I booked a cruise for DH and me--very last minute. We'll be on Liberty sailing 6/27. So now I am quickly trying to make our travel plans and I'm trying to research as much as I can. I've browsed through this thread some, but now I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of the information. Hope to get help with a few things:

1. We're dropping the kids off with my parents in Pittsburgh, so we'll drive from there on Friday. Would like to stay Fri. night at a decent hotel in a decent area. Will most likely drive to the port and park there. As I understand it is $19/day. Where is best place to stay Friday night? I've read a few posts about hotels in Elizabeth/Glimcher Realty Way and some about Parsippany--what is best option?

2. What time should we plan to arrive at the port? On our cruises out of FL we usually arrive around 11:00 or so and get on the ship quickly. Should I expect the same in Cape Liberty?

3. I'm playing around with the idea of sightseeing when we return on 7/2. Not sure how crowded things will be heading into the holiday weekend. I'm not even sure where to go, but thinking I'd like to see the Statue of Liberty and the 9/11 memorials. What is the best option to get to these places or NYC in general? We'll have our car, but I'm not sure about driving around the city and trying to find parking. Is there a good place to park and take public transportation?

4. Thinking about sail away--port or starboard for the best views of the city?

Thanks!

Ranee

1). Look at Parsipanny. Hotwire has good prices. After a long drive from Pittsburgh you probably don't want to deal with the traffic and roads around Newark Airport.

2). I'm sailing next Sat and plan to be at the port by 11 am.

3). Drive to Exchange Place in Jersey City and pay to park ($25 range). Take PATH to World Trade and walk to Battery Park/South Ferry for the SOL (consider buying tickets ahead. Walk back to World Trade and see the 911 memorial. Take PATH back to Exchange Place to your car.

4). Deck 13 above the Sky Bar.

I have a question that has probably been answered many times but wonder if someone could help my poor befuddled brain....

We are sailing into Cape Liberty on the Anthem of the Seas inaugural TA come November. First TA for all 3 of us, first time to New York for 2 of us, and all the planning is left to 1 of us - me!!

My question: we are 3 sprightly, well travelled seniors (68-74) who need to get into W48th Street once we are off the ship...what is the best way to go?

We will each have a large suitcase plus a carry-on to contend with; and time really isn't a problem as we have no need to hurry to get to the hotel and we like to people watch.

Once through immigration and heading outside the terminal are cabs freely available if taking the rail option into NYC? Do booked vehicles park there?

Please help if you can so I can ensure that we have as smooth arrival as possible.

Many thanks

Cee

Are you talking about taking the light rail to Hoboken and PATH to 33rd St in Manhattan? If so you tell the taxi dispatcher you want to go to the light rail station. Be sure to take some time in Hoboken to enjoy the views of NYC and the historic train station. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoboken_Terminal

Senior rates are available on the light rail, but you need a special Smartlink card to get the $1 fare on PATH.

Edited by 138east

Thanks! We have a day at sea, two days in Bermuda, and a day at sea. A quickie cruise. I will be sailing Honolulu to Vancouver next spring and am looking forward to seeing 5 islands on the Radiance.

Aloha Carol :D,

Is this your first time to Hawaii?

Radiance of the Seas departing HNL April 20th at 5pm. When are you flying in to HNL before the cruise. How many days are you staying before and do you have your hotel area selected? Are you traveling alone or with a group? Military affiliation (retired military can normally stay at the Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) facilities.

Also if you don't mind, an idea of your age and hobbies might help me make suggestions for things you might like to see.

For example, I don't zip-line anymore or ride rollercoasters. I don't run, I only walk. I've had cartilage removed from my knee injured while helping coach Little League baseball. I only have the occasional drink when we are out and I know I won't have to drive or navigate and definitely no longer drink to excess.

As I've said, I'm not a shopper but I do love to eat well seasoned food (doesn't necessarily mean heavily seasoned) and it doesn't have to be fancy or expensive either. Some of the best food I've had has been at a Mom & Pop type diner or at a shopping mall. (get the idea?)

I've been looking at the shore stuff for when we get to Boston and was going to ask you about it. Any suggestion?

With all of the help you've been to all of the people on this message board, I'd like to help you enjoy your cruise from Hawaii. Just let me know if you would like to discuss your Hawaii cruise. If you like, I can provide you with my cell number and speak with my wife on speakerphone.

Are you talking about taking the light rail to Hoboken and PATH to 33rd St in Manhattan?]

Thanks Carol...only ever having spent one day in NYC and coming in and out on Amtrax need all the helpful information I can get.

Hire a car, take a bus, the train - getting from terminal to station.... I figure more I can learn the smoother our trip will be... just when I think I have made a decision someone writes something else and that decision flies out the window LOL.

At least I have just under five months to sort it all out.

Again my thanks,

Cee

Are you talking about taking the light rail to Hoboken and PATH to 33rd St in Manhattan?]

Thanks Carol...only ever having spent one day in NYC and coming in and out on Amtrax need all the helpful information I can get.

Hire a car, take a bus, the train - getting from terminal to station.... I figure more I can learn the smoother our trip will be... just when I think I have made a decision someone writes something else and that decision flies out the window LOL.

Again my thanks,

Cee

Here's a video of the light rail.

The 34th St station is at about the 8 min mark. There are lots of other videos out there including one about how to buy and validate a ticket! Every time I have ridden these trains they have been very empty. I'm sure they are quite busy during rush hour, but not at the times cruisers would typically use them.

1). Look at Parsipanny. Hotwire has good prices. After a long drive from Pittsburgh you probably don't want to deal with the traffic and roads around Newark Airport.

2). I'm sailing next Sat and plan to be at the port by 11 am.

3). Drive to Exchange Place in Jersey City and pay to park ($25 range). Take PATH to World Trade and walk to Battery Park/South Ferry for the SOL (consider buying tickets ahead. Walk back to World Trade and see the 911 memorial. Take PATH back to Exchange Place to your car.

4). Deck 13 above the Sky Bar.

Thank you so much :D

Again my thanks,

Cee

Aloha Cee, :D

I've been exploring the PATH and MTA sites and have found that both have Senior rates if you get their senior ID cards. Both appear to have half off rates.

In the past, we've stayed in NYC and gotten the 7 day unlimited subway MetroCards. They cost $31 each so half off is $15.50 each. Since we're only going to be in the area for 1 day before and 2 days after the cruise, I think we will be doing the buy a ticket for each ride this comming Sept. $3.50 vs. $1.75.

The PATH from NJ seems to be $2 per ride with a senior rate of $1.

Neither senior card appears to expire so once you get the senior ID card, you can use it again for your next trip.

I haven't called the PATH or MTA sites to confirm what I have just told you but I probably will just to be sure before I begin applying for the Senior cards.

Aloha Cee, :D

I've been exploring the PATH and MTA sites and have found that both have Senior rates if you get their senior ID cards. Both appear to have half off rates.

In the past, we've stayed in NYC and gotten the 7 day unlimited subway MetroCards. They cost $31 each so half off is $15.50 each. Since we're only going to be in the area for 1 day before and 2 days after the cruise, I think we will be doing the buy a ticket for each ride this comming Sept. $3.50 vs. $1.75.

The PATH from NJ seems to be $2 per ride with a senior rate of $1.

Neither senior card appears to expire so once you get the senior ID card, you can use it again for your next trip.

I haven't called the PATH or MTA sites to confirm what I have just told you but I probably will just to be sure before I begin applying for the Senior cards.

The senior cards do expire after several years. You have to figure out the economics to see if it will work for you for a short stay. You need a passport photo for each card plus the applications need to be notarized. If you have to pay a notary public, it probably isn't worth it unless you know you will use the cards again within several years.

My experience was that it took longer to get the cards than they said, so do it soon if you want the cards.

I know you can use metrocards on PATH, but what I don't know us whether you can get the senior discount with a senior Metrocard. I'm betting you can't.

PATH trains are definitely more than $2. I think it's around $2.50 or 2.75 now. You also cannot buy a weekly card with the senior cards. It's pay per ride, then automatically transitions to monthly if you spend more than $58 in a 30 day period (half the cost of the monthly unlimited). I BELIEVE that you can buy a 2 trip ticket for a senior rate at the booth (but not totally positive). I KNOW that you can pay half fare in coins on the bus.

The senior cards do expire after several years. You have to figure out the economics to see if it will work for you for a short stay. You need a passport photo for each card plus the applications need to be notarized. If you have to pay a notary public, it probably isn't worth it unless you know you will use the cards again within several years.]

We are in New York for 5 days and will probably be doing a lot of walking to see as much as we can and chances are we will never get back there again...and as we are not US citizens I imagine that we are not able to get said cards.

Why won't we be back....we finish our trip in LA and from the time our plane takes off until we land in our home town...we have 29+ hours to get through. That is the one aspect of our trip we are not looking forward to doing!!

Cee

:(

Three years ago we took our DD, DSIL, and DGS on the Summit, leaving from Bayonne. DGS was two, and the look on his face as he caught sight of the "BIG ship" from the shuttle to the ship was one of the best memories of my life. His mouth was a perfect O and his eyes were as big as saucers.

This summer we'll be on the Explorer, sailing again out of Bayonne. However, since there is no longer a need for a shuttle, the first glimpse his little brother, who is exactly the age DGS1 was, will get of the ship will be in the car.

I'd like to see that look again, but there's no way the six of us and our luggage will fit into one vehicle, even a car service. Would it be possible for DH and me to drive to the pier, drop off the luggage and then return with DD and her family? I know we would have been able to do this at the old terminal, but this will be our first time at the new one.

Or if you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

You need to be on the port side to see the Statue if on the Summit. Great views of the harbor. Also going under the VZ bridge for me was spectacular. In all the thousands of times I crossed that bridge it was only the second time I have ever been under it. I loved it!

We will be in an aft/stern cabin on the Summit, do we still need to go to the port side to see the Statue and the bridge?

Three years ago we took our DD, DSIL, and DGS on the Summit, leaving from Bayonne. DGS was two, and the look on his face as he caught sight of the "BIG ship" from the shuttle to the ship was one of the best memories of my life. His mouth was a perfect O and his eyes were as big as saucers.

This summer we'll be on the Explorer, sailing again out of Bayonne. However, since there is no longer a need for a shuttle, the first glimpse his little brother, who is exactly the age DGS1 was, will get of the ship will be in the car.

I'd like to see that look again, but there's no way the six of us and our luggage will fit into one vehicle, even a car service. Would it be possible for DH and me to drive to the pier, drop off the luggage and then return with DD and her family? I know we would have been able to do this at the old terminal, but this will be our first time at the new one.

Or if you have any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Where exactly do you live? How long does it take to drive to Cape Liberty? What day of the week are you sailing?

Hope you're booked on the Liberty and not the Explorer!