CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Good catch! Thank you. I will change the instructions.

When you've lived some place your entire life (57 years tomorrow) stuff like that jumps out at you. Glad I could be of some help. Just didn't want anyone that is not from the area thinking they missed something.

Edited by CruisingChick

Question for 138east: Thanks so much for the great directions from the NJ Turnpike along with the video...was very helpful. I just have a question with the directions...I've been seeing a lot on here about road construction. Do you still think 14-A is the best bet with the construction going on?

One other question not pertained to directions. We will be parking in the port parking lot. Can you pre-pay for this or must it be done when you arrive. From what I read on here we will probably drop off our luggage with the porter then park and then CRIUISE...yahoo!!:D

Thanks for all of the help on this thread!!:):D

Question for 138east: Thanks so much for the great directions from the NJ Turnpike along with the video...was very helpful. I just have a question with the directions...I've been seeing a lot on here about road construction. Do you still think 14-A is the best bet with the construction going on?

One other question not pertained to directions. We will be parking in the port parking lot. Can you pre-pay for this or must it be done when you arrive. From what I read on here we will probably drop off our luggage with the porter then park and then CRIUISE...yahoo!!:D

Thanks for all of the help on this thread!!:):D

Drove there last week...minimal/no construction going into pier via 14A and though only a single lane getting back onto the tpke after the cruise, it wasn't bad, but most of the departing guests were gone.

Of course, it's NJ and they may decide to fix something else, but really I had ZERO traffic...I arrived around 11:30 and left about 30 minutes later...not FOR a cruise, for recon, but Summit was there

You caNOT prepay parking.....just pay when you arrive, via cash or credit card (that's the preferred method)

Edited by megr1125

I lived in Westchester County for around 25 years. Make sure you take the Hutch WEST bound. I believe the sign also says to the Saw Mill Pkwy. Also the Hutch is very twisty so take it easy- doing 55 is hard with all the turns, traffic & on/off merges. I always slow down there.

Make sure you take the south bound saw mill.

I came over the GW bridge yesterday & with major traffic problems it took me 1.5 hours to go from the Bruckner to the actual bridge! The traffic was actually backed up to Co Op City! Normally with no traffic it probably takes around 15-20 minutes. So beware & make sure you listen to traffic & transit- every 10 minutes on 880AM & 1010AM. However yesterday they said they backup was only 20 minutes-they expanded it as multiple collisions kept occurring & the road closed twice - something that is not normal.

Also after you get over the GW bridge watch for the signs carefully to the NJT as there are multiple signs & it can be confusing if you have not taken it before. It would be better to take the upper level as that is less confusing.

Take the EXPRESS lanes & not the local. NJT signs are very big green signs. Also take the car lanes on NJT & not the bus, truck lanes. I hate driving with the trucks as they always on on your ass.

I would allow lots of extra driving time as NY traffic is always bad unless you drive off peak hours. I left the Bronx at noon yesterday & I still got stuck in traffic!

Also Use GPS to get you to NJT & than follow Carols excellent driving instructions to the port.

Traffic in NY should be light if you are coming on Sunday but to be safe it would be best to come up on Saturday. That is what we are doing!

We leave in 10 days for our cruise.

Hope this helps!

Our extended family of 5 stayed at the Courtyard in Sep for three nights for a family wedding. The others went to Ellis Island, but I just took the round trip on the ferry and got myself back to the Courtyard to take a nap.

So here's the deal. You can drive and park at Liberty State Park for $7. Once you're on either of the islands you can take any ferry to the other island or back to either NJ or NY, but .... If you've parked your car at Liberty State Park, you have to get back there to retrieve it.

So what I did to get back to the Courtyard was to take the Warren Street ferry

for $2 across the channel, walked 4 blocks to the light rail, went back to the Newport station, and walked two blocks back to the hotel.

The point of all this is that if you're willing to do some walking, you can get to the Liberty State Park by public transit, go to Ellis Island, return to Battery Park in NYC, and take the subway anywhere you want to go in Manhattan. You can return to the hotel via PATH from 33rd St or World Trade Center. This is fine if the weather is good, but in poor weather I'd drive to and from Liberty State Park and then take PATH wherever you want to go.

http://www.libertylandingferry.com/littlelady-stops.aspx

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

Our plan is similar to quicklabs, please advise. Thank you in advance!

Embark from NY cruise terminal pier 88 in June and wanted to spend a few days in Manhattan and visit Status of Liberty either before or after our cruise. Plan to stay at EWR since it's cheaper and we have a car.

1) one option is to stay at EWR and take NJtrainsit train to NY Penn Station.

Please give us instruction on this option.

2) You mentioned Independent driver 888-816-0973 many times.

How much for 4 people from EWR airport to NY pier 88?

Does Independent driver have service from LaGuardia airport to NY pier 88?

3) Others also said to park at NJ terminal and take the ferry to NY?

Staying at EWR vs LGA airport, please advise.

What a great thread. Our cruise is on June 14, on the Summit. We have decided to fly in early and spend a few days in New York. I have two questions: Do you have any information on the Royalton Hotel, on 44th Street, NY and what would be the best way of getting from the hotel to the Port? Is there a good limo service that you can recommend. (I'm sorry I just don't have the time to read every post here, in case this info has been given before). I don't want to take a train. Guess I'm spoiled.

Our plan is similar to quicklabs, please advise. Thank you in advance!

Embark from NY cruise terminal pier 88 in June and wanted to spend a few days in Manhattan and visit Status of Liberty either before or after our cruise. Plan to stay at EWR since it's cheaper and we have a car.

1) one option is to stay at EWR and take NJtrainsit train to NY Penn Station.

Please give us instruction on this option.

2) You mentioned Independent driver 888-816-0973 many times.

How much for 4 people from EWR airport to NY pier 88?

Does Independent driver have service from LaGuardia airport to NY pier 88?

3) Others also said to park at NJ terminal and take the ferry to NY?

Staying at EWR vs LGA airport, please advise.

Your questions are very random. I don't get a sense of your big plan. What are your exact dates? What is your hotel budget? What is your parking budget for the cruise? Where are you driving in from? Are you really looking for a park/sleep? Can you manage your luggage on accessible public transit?

Generally LGA is off our radar for folks with cars because it tends to be out if the way and does not have the wide selection of park/sleeps or the direct train connection to Manhattan.

For #2 Independent Driver services primarily the Newark Airport area. You would have to call them directly to get a quote to Pier 88. Typically we recommend Dial7 and Carmellimo for the longer trips between NY/NJ because they have a large fleet that goes back and forth all the time.

Your questions are very random. I don't get a sense of your big plan. What are your exact dates? What is your hotel budget? What is your parking budget for the cruise? Where are you driving in from? Are you really looking for a park/sleep? Can you manage your luggage on accessible public transit?

Generally LGA is off our radar for folks with cars because it tends to be out if the way and does not have the wide selection of park/sleeps or the direct train connection to Manhattan.

For #2 Independent Driver services primarily the Newark Airport area. You would have to call them directly to get a quote to Pier 88. Typically we recommend Dial7 and Carmellimo for the longer trips between NY/NJ because they have a large fleet that goes back and forth all the time.

We're familiar with EWR and plan to park at the airport $8 per day.

Hotel budget around $150 per day. Heard that you can take the NJtransit to NY Penn Station then NY subway to places in Manhattan.

(please advise on the NJtransit from EWR to NY Penn Station part)

Another option would be to take the liberty landing ferry from NJ to NY?

We're familiar with EWR and plan to park at the airport $8 per day.

Hotel budget around $150 per day. Heard that you can take the NJtransit to NY Penn Station then NY subway to places in Manhattan.

(please advise on the NJtransit from EWR to NY Penn Station part)

Another option would be to take the liberty landing ferry from NJ to NY?

How many days precruise are you staying? Exact dates?

You can take the train from EWR to NY Penn station for $12.50/pp each way. You can take the train from EWR to Newark Penn Station and PATH downtown to the World Trade Center for $11/pp each way ($8.25 + $2.75). If you were to stay in downtown Newark with access to Newark Penn Station it would cost you $5/pp each way to New York Penn Station and $2.75/pp each way to World Trade on Path.

If you just want to go to the SOL one day, you can drive to Liberty State park and pay only $7 to park, but you'd have to return back to NJ to get your car.

This thread has been great for answering a lot of my questions, I do have a quick question myself though!

Me and 3 others going on cruising on the Liberty OTS on August 27th, we're flying into Newark and staying at the TRYP in Times Square South for 3 nights. What's people recommendations in order to get from the airport to the our hotel and then from the hotel to the cruise terminal on departure day?

I was originally going to take the airlink train to the NJ transit rail service and then get off at Penn station, our hotel seems to be with walking distance from there. For getting to the cruise terminal we were going to hire a private cab but I have a feeling this is no good for 4 plus luggage?

Thanks

This thread has been great for answering a lot of my questions, I do have a quick question myself though!

Me and 3 others going on cruising on the Liberty OTS on August 27th, we're flying into Newark and staying at the TRYP in Times Square South for 3 nights. What's people recommendations in order to get from the airport to the our hotel and then from the hotel to the cruise terminal on departure day?

I was originally going to take the airlink train to the NJ transit rail service and then get off at Penn station, our hotel seems to be with walking distance from there. For getting to the cruise terminal we were going to hire a private cab but I have a feeling this is no good for 4 plus luggage?

Thanks

Given you hotel's location, you can take the NJ Transit train from the Newark Airport Station to New York Penn Station for $12.50/pp or the airport bus to Port Authority Bus Station at 42nd street & 8th Ave for $16/pp.

Contact Dial7 or Carmellimo and ask for a quote including base fare, tolls, and tip for 4 people and luggage from your hotel to Cape Liberty. Tell them how much luggage you will have. This is a trip from NY to NJ, so you do NOT want to hail a NYC taxi - it needs to be prearranged. A NYC taxi can charge you double the meter plus tolls - the tunnel alone is $14 plus some Turnpike tolls.

There is also a public transit option to Cape Liberty. The PATH entrance is at 6th Ave and 32nd Street which is also not too far from your hotel. The accessible entrance is next to JC Penneys on 6th Ave between 32nd & 33rd. The cost is $2.75. You take the train to Hoboken where you take the elevator up to the street level. Hoboken is a major train station. All the way to the left of the trains is the accessible light rail. You buy a ticket from the machine for $2.10 and validate it. You take the Bayonne train (like a tram in Europe) to 34th St and call a cab to go into the port ( you are not allowed to walk). My guess is that this will cost about $20. So for about $40 you can get yourselves to Cape Liberty.

I have done this. It takes about an hour and is all level access and elevators. The outbound trains are empty in the morning, so no problem with seats or luggage. If you're interested, I will post the phone numbers for the cab companies.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

Given you hotel's location, you can take the NJ Transit train from the Newark Airport Station to New York Penn Station for $12.50/pp or the airport bus to Port Authority Bus Station at 42nd street & 8th Ave for $16/pp.

Contact Dial7 or Carmellimo and ask for a quote including base fare, tolls, and tip for 4 people and luggage from your hotel to Cape Liberty. Tell them how much luggage you will have. This is a trip from NY to NJ, so you do NOT want to hail a NYC taxi - it needs to be prearranged. A NYC taxi can charge you double the meter plus tolls - the tunnel alone is $14 plus some Turnpike tolls.

There is also a public transit option to Cape Liberty. The PATH entrance is at 6th Ave and 32nd Street which is also not too far from your hotel. The accessible entrance is next to JC Penneys on 6th Ave between 32nd & 33rd. The cost is $2.75. You take the train to Hoboken where you take the elevator up to the street level. Hoboken is a major train station. All the way to the left of the trains is the accessible light rail. You buy a ticket from the machine for $2.10 and validate it. You take the Bayonne train (like a tram in Europe) to 34th St and call a cab to go into the port ( you are not allowed to walk). My guess is that this will cost about $20. So for about $40 you can get yourselves to Cape Liberty.

I have done this. It takes about an hour and is all level access and elevators. The outbound trains are empty in the morning, so no problem with seats or luggage. If you're interested, I will post the phone numbers for the cab companies.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

Thanks so much for the info, Much appreciated! As we are coming from the UK I assume we can get out hotel to phone one of these cab companies once we arrive? or would you recommend booking in advance for pickup from our hotel to the port?

Thanks again

Thanks so much for the info, Much appreciated! As we are coming from the UK I assume we can get out hotel to phone one of these cab companies once we arrive? or would you recommend booking in advance for pickup from our hotel to the port?

Thanks again

I'm on this cruise and planning to take the public transit option-- I'm going alone, and I know the transit system very well. If you're interested, we can meet up at the PATH and go together. You get a local tour guide and I get people to share cab fare!! Win, win!!! (Thinking with four already you might need 2 cabs to begin with)

Edited by denatravels

Thanks again

Get a quote from http://www.dial7.com and http://www.carmellimo.com. My guess it is over $100 including tolls and tip, so you might reconsider the public transit. And you have an offer of a tour guide!

I wouldn't recommend the public transit if it were a bad trip. Path has wide turnstiles that are good for luggage. The light rail is surface transportation with honor system validated tickets. By contrast my experience in the NY subway system with luggage was awful even though I planned "accessible" routes. I do not recommend the subway to folks with luggage unless you are prepared to tote it up or down steps at some point.

For the UK visitor coming to NY, there's a free mobile APP for iOS & Android devices, download & install it - if you will have WiFi and/or mobile data roaming access while in NYC pre- and post-cruise. It's very user friendly & we just use it again recently on our return/disembarkation at the NYC cruise pier. Otherwise, voice calling to them and/or email/SMS will be just fine so that the base station dispatching the car/driver and the driver can recofirm and/or call you when they are 5 minutes away to meet or pick you up in front of the hotel, etc.

I ran a quick price check from the TS South hotels to Cape Liberty cruise terminal on Carmel - for 4 pax with luggage, they will dispatch a minivan as the full size sedan (which, sometimes, turned out to be bigger sized Lincoln towncar) will not necessary fit all the extra hand/luggages. The quoted price is just $61 plus Turnpike Tolls of under $5 USD ... haven't been over to NJ too much lately (the most likely route is via Lincoln Tunnel, midtown west just south of Times Square area) to the Turnpike south (via Rt. 3 West) and then to Exit 14, etc. etc. and the customary 15% to 20% gratuity (we tend to round it up to 20% or slightly higher depending on driver/service) - and, there's an online coupon discount code to deduct $3 from the base fare. Trip total all inclusive is about $80 USD - door to door services without pushing or pulling luggages, stairs & elevators, etc. (It's $14 higher in fares over a sedan that sit 3 + and luggage)

We didn't even pre-book ahead & our car/driver was ready to meet us outside in 10 minutes, done online via mobile app - we asked them to show up in 20 minutes so that we don't have do the 400 yards run with 35 lbs. on rollers & carry-on, everything worked perfectly.

There is no $14 toll westbound from NY to NJ, only when coming into NYC - so this should a great option with less hassle, even cheaper than the airporter bus with 4 people riding together.

For equal time/fairness, Dial7 has a similar APP also to use, their prices tend to be slightly higher than Carmel, our choices for airports & cruises - so it's a largely a matter of preference, keep in mind some of the online reviews are sometimes written by other competitors. And, we do NOT use Uber or similar "shared" ride car services, no matter what, as a matter of personal choice.

I am looking at a June 17-25th cruise on Carnival. What are the cheapest option if I drive my own car? Appears you can catch 2 buses from the Ramada in Newark, and it takes about an hour and 15 minutes. Are there better options if we want to stay a night?

What park/sleep option are you looking at for Newark Airport for the Ramada?

You can catch bus 40 on Frontage Road just on the other side of the Doubletree ( used to be the Sheraton) to Newark Penn Station for $1.50 exact change. At Newark Penn Station you can take the train to New York Penn Station for $5.00. In NY you can catch the #20 bus north on 8th Ave to 49th Street and transfer to the #50 bus to 12th Ave and the pier. This requires $2.75 exact change in coins and you ask for a transfer when you board. Train service is less than the bus and runs more frequently, but the bus leaves you at Port Authority Bus a Terminal which is closer to the pier.

Bottom line - you'll need lots of quarters.

We are on the June 18th cruise which leaves on a Thursday, does any one know how the traffic has been trying to arrive @ the terminal around 10:30 am. We will be staying somewhere around Edison NJ.

We have done a couple of cruises out of New York on Sunday morning, traffic was never a problem, this is our first cruise out of Bayone. Thks for the help.

We are on the June 18th cruise which leaves on a Thursday, does any one know how the traffic has been trying to arrive @ the terminal around 10:30 am. We will be staying somewhere around Edison NJ.

We have done a couple of cruises out of New York on Sunday morning, traffic was never a problem, this is our first cruise out of Bayone. Thks for the help.

Absent an accident or some emergency major construction project, if you leave the Edison area by 9:30 to 9:45 you'll miss the rush hour traffic and should get to the port by about 10:30.

When are you sailing? I'm going on June 13 and will post about my experience. In general I've been hearing earlier times. It seems as if the new terminal is speeding up the disembarkations and the embarkations are starting earlier. In Jan I was on the Quantum before 11 am.