CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Yes we have made this trip a few time in 4 1/2 with stops, but we were leaving on a Sunday. I was curious of traffic on a Friday.

In my earlier days, I live in Broome County/Binghamton area and the solo trip to/from NYC area is about 3 hours with 1 or 2 restroom stop, including fuel with smooth off-peak traffic. Depending on your whereabouts in Syracuse (downtown, just off I-81, etc.) - add at least 1 hour - and you will need the stars to align, sun to be shining and mother nature to not act up with no drivers-induced incidents coming down thru PA into NJ.

Whether it's a Friday or Tuesday, it's weekday and traffic can be unpredicable & heavy as you near the port. The comfort/safety margins and cushion is virtually zero for any surprises.

When we travel, rule # 1 is apply Murphy's Law - a flat tire change will set you back 30 to 45 minutes as you are loaded with luggage & pax, not easy with a bumper/frame jack & tiny tire change iron. As long as you can get to CL by 1:30 to check-in, ahead of your 2 PM cutoff for the 4 PM sailing (typical time, YMMV) - you can sweat it out but if you missed it ... trip insurance can bail you out and you have coverage, right or not ??

To play it safe, make sure you have the CL contact # for cruise check-in and contact them at the first sign of trouble, i.e. tanker overturned with hazmat/spills & full highway shutdown with detour, etc.

Good news is that aside from Waze/Google Map-NAV in car usage, you can & should be tuned to AM Radio 880 and 1010 for updated traffic report as you drive. Latenight/weekends - 4.5 hour is reasonable but on a weekday, it's really, really cutting it close, too close for our own comfort.

In my earlier days, I live in Broome County/Binghamton area and the solo trip to/from NYC area is about 3 hours with 1 or 2 restroom stop, including fuel with smooth off-peak traffic. Depending on your whereabouts in Syracuse (downtown, just off I-81, etc.) - add at least 1 hour - and you will need the stars to align, sun to be shining and mother nature to not act up with no drivers-induced incidents coming down thru PA into NJ.

Whether it's a Friday or Tuesday, it's weekday and traffic can be unpredicable & heavy as you near the port. The comfort/safety margins and cushion is virtually zero for any surprises.

When we travel, rule # 1 is apply Murphy's Law - a flat tire change will set you back 30 to 45 minutes as you are loaded with luggage & pax, not easy with a bumper/frame jack & tiny tire change iron. As long as you can get to CL by 1:30 to check-in, ahead of your 2 PM cutoff for the 4 PM sailing (typical time, YMMV) - you can sweat it out but if you missed it ... trip insurance can bail you out and you have coverage, right or not ??

To play it safe, make sure you have the CL contact # for cruise check-in and contact them at the first sign of trouble, i.e. tanker overturned with hazmat/spills & full highway shutdown with detour, etc.

Good news is that aside from Waze/Google Map-NAV in car usage, you can & should be tuned to AM Radio 880 and 1010 for updated traffic report as you drive. Latenight/weekends - 4.5 hour is reasonable but on a weekday, it's really, really cutting it close, too close for our own comfort.

Thank you so much, I am actually going to drive in the night before and stay at a hotel. I agree with you 100%, my friend is on her own!

Thank you so much, I am actually going to drive in the night before and stay at a hotel. I agree with you 100%, my friend is on her own!

That's a difficult decision to made and to tell a friend sailing together, I'm guessing that she's in the health care field on the overnight shift or similar functions, but if she can get out at 7:30 AM then the extra 30 minutes might be window for the 3 of you to take the risk along with her. Good news is that you aren't driving into Manhattan for the Hudson piers & staying on the Jersey side, parking on the waterfront pier is super easy & what I read briefly, no longer needed the shuttle bus to the gangway ramp from the building. Once you are at CL, security & check-in should be quick & smooth as the rush should be easing by 1 to 1:30 PM, probably still have time to grab a late lunch before the safety drills.

95% of the time, traffic isn't a major problem - just that 5% but the only one that mattered is yours - yesterday, a lockdown call at a NJ military base resulted in nearby highway (I-80 was affected) traffic problems with detours, exit ramp closure & just general delays - it lasted quite a few ours until the all clear & stand downn order was issued ... the damages had already been done.

Best of luck in making those tough choices, maybe 3 of you can at least take her heavier suitcase along first & get it to the pier, so there's less for her to run alongside - and, check/use Carol/138East's always excellent driving directions & info on best approaches to CL parking/check-in. And, presumably - your friends is good with driving solo & in directions, etc. - as some just melt driving in unfamiliar places, especially when being rushed in a hurry. Enjoy the cruise.

Just keep in mind that there are four of you, which is $11 to go by subway to Penn Station. If you are in the Times Square area, it may be cheaper and certainly more convenient to take a taxi. If one of your party has mobility issues, I would try to walk to 7th Ave and take a downtown cab which could swing around and drop you on the 8th Ave side of the station for the NJ trains. This should be in the $11 range or less as long as the streets aren't gridlocked.

Pay attention to exactly where you are. If you walk to the 1,2,3 subway station in Times Square, You will end up walking almost an avenue through Penn Station to the NJ trains. However, if you walk to the A, E, C trains on 8th Ave, you will end up at the NJ trains in Penn Station.

Carol, you have to keep in mind that the 1,2,3 tracks in the Times Square subway station are the same full avenue apart from the A,C,E tracks that they are at Penn Station, and it's the 1,2,3 that's closest to what most people traditionally call Times Square, while the A,C,E are closest to Port Authority Bus Station.

If someone is already in the traditional Times Square area it probably makes more sense to take the 1,2,3 and then do the walk through Penn Station to the NJ Transit area than it would to wind one's way through the underground labyrinth of the Times Square subway station, which can be intimidating and confusing to someone not familiar with it. Of course one can also walk on 42nd street to get from one set of subways to the other.

In any event, the choice of subway line to take from Times Square to Penn Station probably should be dependent on exactly where you are in the Times Square area.

That's a difficult decision to made and to tell a friend sailing together, I'm guessing that she's in the health care field on the overnight shift or similar functions, but if she can get out at 7:30 AM then the extra 30 minutes might be window for the 3 of you to take the risk along with her. Good news is that you aren't driving into Manhattan for the Hudson piers & staying on the Jersey side, parking on the waterfront pier is super easy & what I read briefly, no longer needed the shuttle bus to the gangway ramp from the building. Once you are at CL, security & check-in should be quick & smooth as the rush should be easing by 1 to 1:30 PM, probably still have time to grab a late lunch before the safety drills.

95% of the time, traffic isn't a major problem - just that 5% but the only one that mattered is yours - yesterday, a lockdown call at a NJ military base resulted in nearby highway (I-80 was affected) traffic problems with detours, exit ramp closure & just general delays - it lasted quite a few ours until the all clear & stand downn order was issued ... the damages had already been done.

Best of luck in making those tough choices, maybe 3 of you can at least take her heavier suitcase along first & get it to the pier, so there's less for her to run alongside - and, check/use Carol/138East's always excellent driving directions & info on best approaches to CL parking/check-in. And, presumably - your friends is good with driving solo & in directions, etc. - as some just melt driving in unfamiliar places, especially when being rushed in a hurry. Enjoy the cruise.

Thank you for all your information. There is actually a large group of us. She would be going with 2 other people on Friday morning. She plans on trying to be out at 7:30/8 at the latest and hopefully there is no traffic and with one stop they will be there in the 4 1/2 hours.

Trying to help my son and to be daughter in law with honeymoon plans. They are booked on the Breakaway leaving August 9th. They are planning to drive to New York and spend a couple of days in the city. They are young and on a budget. My question is two fold

-any alternate ideas for parking the car (for 9 days) besides the Manhattan pier?

-any suggestions for a hotel that is clean and nice but not outrageous (lets say within the 200.00 ish range-I know that will be hard to find, but thought I would ask)

Thanks

Just keep in mind that there are four of you, which is $11 to go by subway to Penn Station. If you are in the Times Square area, it may be cheaper and certainly more convenient to take a taxi. If one of your party has mobility issues, I would try to walk to 7th Ave and take a downtown cab which could swing around and drop you on the 8th Ave side of the station for the NJ trains. This should be in the $11 range or less as long as the streets aren't gridlocked.

Pay attention to exactly where you are. If you walk to the 1,2,3 subway station in Times Square, You will end up walking almost an avenue through Penn Station to the NJ trains. However, if you walk to the A, E, C trains on 8th Ave, you will end up at the NJ trains in Penn Station.

Carol, you have to keep in mind that the 1,2,3 tracks in the Times Square subway station are the same full avenue apart from the A,C,E tracks that they are at Penn Station, and it's the 1,2,3 that's closest to what most people traditionally call Times Square, while the A,C,E are closest to Port Authority Bus Station.

If someone is already in the traditional Times Square area it probably makes more sense to take the 1,2,3 and then do the walk through Penn Station to the NJ Transit area than it would to wind one's way through the underground labyrinth of the Times Square subway station, which can be intimidating and confusing to someone not familiar with it. Of course one can also walk on 42nd street to get from one set of subways to the other.

In any event, the choice of subway line to take from Times Square to Penn Station probably should be dependent on exactly where you are in the Times Square area.

This is all great info. I once told a taxi driver that I wanted to go to Penn Station. He dropped me at a point somewhere around the side of Madison Square Garden... I had to walk for ages just to get to a Penn entrance and then it was exactly opposite of where I was to get my Amtrak connection. Thinking about that, I'm really grateful for the suggestions and advice.

My gimpy-ankled friend can be in terrible pain by evening if he's been on his feet a lot during the day. So we now know of reasonable options, depending on how he is, and exactly how to get to the option we choose. I appreciate the info...thanks to you both.

Trying to help my son and to be daughter in law with honeymoon plans. They are booked on the Breakaway leaving August 9th. They are planning to drive to New York and spend a couple of days in the city. They are young and on a budget. My question is two fold

-any alternate ideas for parking the car (for 9 days) besides the Manhattan pier?

-any suggestions for a hotel that is clean and nice but not outrageous (lets say within the 200.00 ish range-I know that will be hard to find, but thought I would ask)

Thanks

Where are they drving in from? What time would they arrive?

For the car lodgings - they can park at Port Imperial in Weehawken, NJ for $15/day and take the ferry across to Manhattan for $9/pp. The ferry offers free bus service to various points in Manhattan. They can also park at Newark Airport for $10/ day or less and take the train or airport bus into the city -$25 or $28/pp rt.

August is actually the best time of year to get a hotel in NYC. Hotwire always has some good prices. Look for a 3.5* hotel in mid town that has a 80%+ approval rating. Right now there is a 4* midtown east boutique hotel with 85% approval for $150 - $190 with tax & fees for Aug 6-9.

Once you decide on a strategy, we can offer more specific suggestions. Tell them to pack light enough to be able to manage their luggage!

Edited by 138east

This is all great info. I once told a taxi driver that I wanted to go to Penn Station. He dropped me at a point somewhere around the side of Madison Square Garden... I had to walk for ages just to get to a Penn entrance and then it was exactly opposite of where I was to get my Amtrak connection. Thinking about that, I'm really grateful for the suggestions and advice.

My gimpy-ankled friend can be in terrible pain by evening if he's been on his feet a lot during the day. So we now know of reasonable options, depending on how he is, and exactly how to get to the option we choose. I appreciate the info...thanks to you both.

ImageUploadedByForums1429452994.507471.jpg.215f740a3ca732683240c6cae31470cc.jpg

We would be looking to get to Penn Station from 1600 Broadway in front of the M and M World. Any suggestions for the walking route, or subway route.

Thanks.

[ATTACH]346763[/ATTACH]

We would be looking to get to Penn Station from 1600 Broadway in front of the M and M World. Any suggestions for the walking route, or subway route.

Thanks.

Walking route - south on Broadway to 7th Ave and south on 7th Ave to Penn Station at 31st-33rd St. Go through the station to the NJ Transit trains on the 8th Ave side.

Subway - walk north on Broadway to 49th-50th Street and take the #1 train downtown to 34th Street and walk through Penn Station as above. You can walk a little bit further to 8th Ave & 50th and take any downtown train from there as well. This will leave you closer to the NJ Transit trains.

Walking route - south on Broadway to 7th Ave and south on 7th Ave to Penn Station at 31st-33rd St. Go through the station to the NJ Transit trains on the 8th Ave side.

Subway - walk north on Broadway to 49th-50th Street and take the #1 train downtown to 34th Street and walk through Penn Station as above. You can walk a little bit further to 8th Ave & 50th and take any downtown train from there as well. This will leave you closer to the NJ Transit trains.

Wow. This is wonderful information. I can't tell you how much I appreciate how much you have helped me and so many people on these boards.[emoji106]

Where are they drving in from? What time would they arrive?

For the car lodgings - they can park at Port Imperial in Weehawken, NJ for $15/day and take the ferry across to Manhattan for $9/pp. The ferry offers free bus service to various points in Manhattan. They can also park at Newark Airport for $10/ day or less and take the train or airport bus into the city -$25 or $28/pp rt.

August is actually the best time of year to get a hotel in NYC. Hotwire always has some good prices. Look for a 3.5* hotel in mid town that has a 80%+ approval rating. Right now there is a 4* midtown east boutique hotel with 85% approval for $150 - $190 with tax & fees for Aug 6-9.

Once you decide on a strategy, we can offer more specific suggestions. Tell them to pack light enough to be able to manage their luggage!

Thanks for the info Carol. They will be driving in from Ohio. I honestly do not know any particular time they will arrive. I like the idea of them taking the ferry. They will have to take their luggage to the hotel from there. Any idea about how much a cab would be from there to midtown? Where does the ferry sort of drop you off?

Thanks for the info Carol. They will be driving in from Ohio. I honestly do not know any particular time they will arrive. I like the idea of them taking the ferry. They will have to take their luggage to the hotel from there. Any idea about how much a cab would be from there to midtown? Where does the ferry sort of drop you off?

The ferry drops you off in midtown at 39th Street on the Hudson River. A cab to a midtown hotel should be in the $15 range depending on traffic conditions.

http://www.nywaterway.com/UserFiles/Files/OffPeakBusMapFINAL.pdf

http://www.nywaterway.com/UserFiles/Files/Peak%20Bus%20Map.pdf

These are the peak and off peak free bus maps.

At Port Imperial folks have mentioned dropping one person off with the luggage at the ferry terminal and having the other person park the car, so it's not necessary to do a lot of luggage hauling there.

The ferry drops you off in midtown at 39th Street on the Hudson River. A cab to a midtown hotel should be in the $15 range depending on traffic conditions.

http://www.nywaterway.com/UserFiles/Files/OffPeakBusMapFINAL.pdf

http://www.nywaterway.com/UserFiles/Files/Peak%20Bus%20Map.pdf

These are the peak and off peak free bus maps.

At Port Imperial folks have mentioned dropping one person off with the luggage at the ferry terminal and having the other person park the car, so it's not necessary to do a lot of luggage hauling there.

I missed the original conversation about the ferry. I live on 37 and Lexington-- can I do the ferry to the cape Liberty cruise port or is this just to get into the city after parking in NJ?

I missed the original conversation about the ferry. I live on 37 and Lexington-- can I do the ferry to the cape Liberty cruise port or is this just to get into the city after parking in NJ?

You can take the ferry to Port Imperial ($9/pp) and pick up the light rail and go to Hoboken and transfer to the Bayonne light rail ($2.10). However from where you live I'd take a cab right to JC Penneys, take PATH to Hoboken and the light rail from there to Bayonne. I can provide more details if you are not familiars with this. You need to call a cab in Bayonne to get into the port.

You can take the ferry to Port Imperial ($9/pp) and pick up the light rail and go to Hoboken and transfer to the Bayonne light rail ($2.10). However from where you live I'd take a cab right to JC Penneys, take PATH to Hoboken and the light rail from there to Bayonne. I can provide more details if you are not familiars with this. You need to call a cab in Bayonne to get into the port.

This was my prior plan--I can walk to the PATH no problem. I was looking for something easier than the light rail (which I have never done) but clearly this is not it.

Thanks!!

The light rail is super easy - even better than PATH. No problem getting seats to Bayonne. Think about it - who in their right mind goes to Bayonne at 10 am on any morning? Both PATH and the light rail are empty. No problem getting a seat with luggage. I did Path from Newark to Exchange Place in Jan - it was absolutely the best choice. No airport hotels or car service from the airport to deal with.

Just google Hoboken light rail YouTube for lots of visuals.

Hi, Finally paid for our cruise (summit June 7-14 2015), out of Cape Liberty

The plan is to arrive June 5 late in the evening, on June 7 we are planning to do New York Tour 1, walking around NYC. Then the cruise on the 7th.

Has anyone done this tour?

We are confused as where to stay pre cruise. A few months ago, you suggested locations near Robert Treat. That is about our price point.

If we are going to be spending the day in NYC is it more cost effective/time effective to stay in NYC than Newark?

For lodging and transportation?

We are still working on flights, Right now they are all over the map with EWR being the cheapest.

(told my dh we should have bought airline tickets 2 months ago, they have nearly doubled ).

Thanks again for all of your help and advise!

Edited by debk68

NYC hotels will be much more expensive. The reason to consider the Newark Penn Station Hilton or Robert Treat is the convenience of getting to Manhattan from Newark Penn Station for $5 instead of staying at an airport hotel and riding the hotel shuttle back to the airport, taking the airtrain to the train station, and then paying $12.50 to take the train to NYC. The two Newark hotels will shuttle you from the airport. You can walk across the street to the train station from the Hilton and the Robert Treat will shuttle you the few blocks to the train station.

Edited by 138east

NYC hotels will be much more expensive. The reason to consider the Newark Penn Station Hilton or Robert Treat is the convenience of getting to Manhattan from Newark Penn Station for $5 instead of staying at an airport hotel and riding the hotel shuttle back to the airport, taking the airtrain to the train station, and then paying $12.50 to take the train to NYC. The two Newark hotels will shuttle you from the airport. You can walk across the street to the train station from the Hilton and the Robert Treat will shuttle you the few blocks to the train station.

Thanks again! We are flying into Newark and staying at the Robert Treat. We booked it through Priceline for $1 more it included breakfast. The aa.com did not include breakfast.

we followed 138east's directions in october 2014. and just let me say they were VERY easy to follow. they got us to the port in just minute. we actually hoping nothing in them change when we go in august on liberty. I higly recommend they be used :)

This is as far as I made it! :) Just booked but I am curious...what should I plan for breakfast? There is a restaurant on site about how much should I budget for a family of 4?:cool: And I was guessing on shuttle time 10:00 to port and 9:00 from port- does this sound ok? If not, do I need to call or can I just tell them when I check in? And one last thing- my husband wanted to go to Times Square - best way to get family of four there and back? Lol, now I think I am done with questions.....

Edited by BLAMBKY

This is as far as I made it! :) Just booked but I am curious...what should I plan for breakfast? There is a restaurant on site about how much should I budget for a family of 4?:cool: And I was guessing on shuttle time 10:00 to port and 9:00 from port- does this sound ok? If not, do I need to call or can I just tell them when I check in? And one last thing- my husband wanted to go to Times Square - best way to get family of four there and back? Lol, now I think I am done with questions.....

Britney - please provide more details. What hotel? How many nights? What are the exact ages for your children (this is for transit discounts).

Have no idea how to answer your questions!

Britney - please provide more details. What hotel? How many nights? What are the exact ages for your children (this is for transit discounts).

Have no idea how to answer your questions!

:o Sorry about that! Booked Newark Ramada Plaza Bayonne Cape through Trinityreservations.com and just for the one night. "Kids" are both 16. My DH has never been outside of JFK, so he at least wants to see Times Square. :p And he really wanted to go to Alaska ....once I showed him some of the pictures leaving the port, he was a little more excited.

Edited by BLAMBKY

Honestly I don't know how booking that shuttle works. I'd try emailing Trinity. They are very good about responding.

What time of day are you arriving? With a group of 4 "adults" I'd look at taking a cab to Newark Penn Station for about $25 and taking the train to NYC for $5/pp each way and walking to Times Square. You can take the train to NYC from the airport for $12.50/pp each way, but you have to take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and take the free Airtrain to the airport train station to catch the train. This can be more time consuming than paying to go directly to Newark Penn Station by cab.