CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

This thread is full of such valuable information! We just booked the Anthem for June 30, 2016. Got plenty of time to plan, but I'm thinking of the Hampton Inn in Elizabeth. I believe they have a shuttle from EWR to their hotel. Would just need to figure out transfer to the pier. We also plan on doing Statue of Liberty and WTC Memorial the day before the cruise. Is it possible to take public transportation from Elizabeth to that end of Manhattan? Thanks in advance for advice! Bonnie

Look at the Newark Penn Station Hilton and the Robert Treat in downtown Newark if you want to go to downtown Manhattan. Both hotels offer a free airport shuttle. The Hilton is across the street from the train station and the Robert Treat is a 5 minute free shuttle ride away. It will cost you $2.75/pp to go to the World Trade Center from Newark Penn Station on PATH. If you stay at an airport property you will have to take the free airport shuttle back to the airport, take the free Airtrain to the airport train station stop, take the NJ transit train to Newark Penn Station for $8.25, and then take PATH to downtown Manhattan.

The issues with the turnpike involve exits 14 thru 14 b. This will be a problem for most travelers as it will be down to one lane in both directions. The fact that it is a Sunday will help though. I just plan to leave extra time.

Celebrity sent notifications to everyone. When you do your on line check in it asks for contact info. I was phoned and texted as was my hubby but no e mail even though they have that info too.

Would you please post the message that Celebrity sent you?

Also' date=' is this notification something that you signed up for?

Thank you![/quote']

Here is the message...and, no I hadn't signed up for it:

Celebrity Summit Notification. Hello, this is Celebrity Cruises. We would like to provide you with an important update regarding your May 3 sailing onboard Celebrity Summit sailing out of Cape Liberty Cruise Port. Please note that we have been informed that there will be a construction project taking place on the New Jersey turnpike this weekend that could impact traffic leading to the port. Please take proper precaution in checking the local traffic conditions in preparation for your arrival to the pier. We look forward to welcoming you onboard Celebrity Summit.

I guess, after reading all the replies, we'll just leave earlier than we planned. I'll post back with a report on how it goes. I gotta say, though, that even though it's Sunday, one lane of exit traffic at a toll booth sounds awful.

Edited by tnfcruise

I'm not seeing anything on the turnpike web site, but that doesn't mean something isn't going on. I live in Mass so I don't have access to the local radio and TV. Perhaps someone in the local area has heard something.

The Bayonne Bridge is scheduled to be closed Saturday. - it's been closed on and off all week, but that doesn't affect the turnpike directly and it won't affect a Sunday Celebrity sailing.

Wait - I think I just found it! The Pulaski Skyway appears to be closed in both directions this weekend - http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/04/harsh_cold_rusted_steel_bump_back_pulaski_skyway_t.html

Traffic on the skyway may spill over onto the turnpike. But don't get crazy - Sunday morning is the lowest traffic time. Just leave earlier to get out the turnpike extension before any traffic builds up.

Thanks, Carol, fingers crossed.

The issues with the turnpike involve exits 14 thru 14 b. This will be a problem for most travelers as it will be down to one lane in both directions. The fact that it is a Sunday will help though. I just plan to leave extra time.

Celebrity sent notifications to everyone. When you do your on line check in it asks for contact info. I was phoned and texted as was my hubby but no e mail even though they have that info too.

Heaven forbid it there's an accident or some other hazard it could be a nightmare if things are already down to one lane.

Is it possible to get off another exit and get to Bayonne if something should happen?

You can get off turnpike exit 15E and take 9 BYP (read truck route) to route 440 south. Not the optimal choice this weekend because the Pulaski skyway is closed.

We don't sail until May 24th. I am hoping there's no traffic that Sunday as everyone will already be gone for Memorial Day weekend.

Relax. You will get there.

What's amazing to me is how last minute some of the closures and construction projects are posted on the web. You just have to go with the flow.

Coming from CT you can always take the Henry Hudson to midtown and 12th Ave to the Holland Tunnel. From the Holland Tunnel you can go on local streets all the way to Bayonne. Definitely not optimal, but doable. I arrived on the Q in Jan in a snowstorm and I squeezed in the first cab that would take me anywhere so I could get on PATH to Newark. Had a fascinating ride on local streets from Bayonne to Journal Square in Jersey City, but I got myself out of Cape Liberty where there was a small riot brewing and made it to Newark to catch my train to Boston.

I second Carol's advise on the radio stations.

I also agree with Carol that traffic is the lightest on a Sunday am. But you never know.

It's AM channels - 880 does traffic & transit on the 8's (& then the weather) where 1010 does it on the 1's. I usually listen to both as sometimes one station has things the other does not. Also I listen to 880 first & as soon as the weather is over I switch to 1010.

Also if you use the Waze app it will route you around traffic. We have used it a lot & have found it very accurate.

Hope this helps!

Good luck! We leave for our cruise May 24.

Thanks Carol and catspaw1. Great info. Both stations are listed on the app I previously mentioned, and I listened to both stations this morning even though I am 500 miles away.

We are huge Waze fans, and recommend it too.

Relax. You will get there.

What's amazing to me is how last minute some of the closures and construction projects are posted on the web. You just have to go with the flow.

Coming from CT you can always take the Henry Hudson to midtown and 12th Ave to the Holland Tunnel. From the Holland Tunnel you can go on local streets all the way to Bayonne. Definitely not optimal, but doable. I arrived on the Q in Jan in a snowstorm and I squeezed in the first cab that would take me anywhere so I could get on PATH to Newark. Had a fascinating ride on local streets from Bayonne to Journal Square in Jersey City, but I got myself out of Cape Liberty where there was a small riot brewing and made it to Newark to catch my train to Boston.

Thanks, we have never taken the tunnel to Jersey, but will print this out and keep it handy, just in case. You never know.

Why don't you leave early and stop at the shopping center at the next light? I believe there's a Starbucks in the Stop and Shop. Or you can visit the 911 memorial. Bring a book. IMO it will be much better to wait in the terminal than to wait on the turnpike.

I'm coming down in June and if this traffic issue persists, I'm going to drive down the west side of Manhattan, cone through the Holland tunnel, and take local streets to Bayonne.

Well for me I would rather be than early & sit in the terminal than be stuck in traffic. Although we are staying nearby, I don't want to chance traffic on the NJT- I have been stuck in traffic on it many times in the past. We're going to get there between 10-10:30 personally. It will take us about 30 minutes to get to exit 14A- I timed it several weekends ago. There was no traffic & speed limit was 65. Remember they can & often change the speed limit on the NJT so gotta watch that. I'm going up again next weekend but am getting off at exit 13 for the Goethals bridge.

I input the route into my Waze app yesterday and it's telling me to et off 15E. I checked again this morning and again it's telling me to get off 15 E. We have never gotten off this exit in the 11 times we driven to the port. So now I don't know what to do and have 3 weeks to figure it out.

I input the route into my Waze app yesterday and it's telling me to et off 15E. I checked again this morning and again it's telling me to get off 15 E. We have never gotten off this exit in the 11 times we driven to the port. So now I don't know what to do and have 3 weeks to figure it out.

I just checked the NJ Turnpike traffic cams, and while there is a delay getting to the point where traffic is reduced to one lane, once you get past the lane merge point traffic on the remaining single lane is light and moving freely to exit 14A. The delays wouldn't be enough to cause me to change my routing, but being a NY City native I learned long ago to accept traffic jams as a fact of life and not get too upset over short delays.

I just checked the NJ Turnpike traffic cams, and while there is a delay getting to the point where traffic is reduced to one lane, once you get past the lane merge point traffic on the remaining single lane is light and moving freely to exit 14A. The delays wouldn't be enough to cause me to change my routing, but being a NY City native I learned long ago to accept traffic jams as a fact of life and not get too upset over short delays.

Thanks for the update. We live in the tri-state and are very use to driving in NY and NJ also. I am watching Optimum (Cablevision) New Jersey traffic report on my TV and they are not reporting any major delays at the moment.